Cooking with The Chronic

I'm really a rookie when it comes to consuming edibles. Not really sure what to expect yet.

I recently sprinkled 0.1g of decarbed weed directly into my dinner salad. Within 90 minutes I had a nice high. Then a couple days later, I took that same batch of decarbed weed and put 0.1g into a gel cap. After a couple hours - nothing, I thought it was a dud. But 4 hours later... Bam! I was pretty dang high the rest of the night. I'd really like to put the weed directly into gel caps -- cutting out the middleman of making oil first.

I'm really a rookie when it comes to consuming edibles. Not really sure what to expect yet.

I recently sprinkled 0.1g of decarbed weed directly into my dinner salad. Within 90 minutes I had a nice high. Then a couple days later, I took that same batch of decarbed weed and put 0.1g into a gel cap. After a couple hours - nothing, I thought it was a dud. But 4 hours later... Bam! I was pretty dang high the rest of the night. I'd really like to put the weed directly into gel caps -- cutting out the middleman of making oil first.
The purpose of the oil is that THC is fat soluble. Eating plain decarbed weed makes it much more difficult for the body to absorb the THC (could be why it took so long the second time). Also why high fat meals are better when using edibles.

That makes a ton of sense. I ate the salad with oil & vinegar dressing, but popped the capsule on a mostly empty stomach. We got Chinese take out for dinner that night - some deep fried foods included. That's when it hit me, while eating. By the time dinner was finished, I felt pretty worthless -- although I did help with the cleanup/dishes :drool:.

Do you think if I add a couple drops of oil to the dry capsules, that will be enough to get the absorption process going?

OK, I ordered some silicone gummie molds today. Looking forward to trying your gummie recipe for the first time - once the molds arrive :yahoo:.

In the meantime, this weekend I think I will help my son (@Liquidintel ) make a variation of rice krispies treats. He and a friend bought marshmallows and fruity pebbles cereal (fruit flavored rice krispies) a few days ago, but were too high to make anything with it :passitleft:. I've got 1.5 oz of butter already made. By my calculations it contains about 125mg THC, so if we cut into 12 servings that would be approx 10mg per serving.

I'll try to document as we go.

Ok, son and daughter-in-law made the marshmallow treats yesterday. Pretty easy recipe with only 3 ingredients:

We cut them into 12 equal servings. I calculate that each serving will have approx 10mg THC. I weighed them each to make sure they were all 2 oz each. We all shared a piece for quality control. For me, I'm not a big fan of rice crispy treats, so this was a bit sweet for my tastes, but everyone else thought they were pretty good. We were already pretty high so the potency will have to be tested on another day :cool:.

Actually, since marshmallows are so sweet, maybe something less sugary needs to be added...
For those that doesn't like the super sweet that is...
:laugh::rofl:SweetSue.. Is sweet by nature... What would you use?

Actually, since marshmallows are so sweet, maybe something less sugary needs to be added...
For those that doesn't like the super sweet that is...
:laugh::rofl:SweetSue.. Is sweet by nature... What would you use?
Making a marshmallow based confection less sweet has a lot of difficulties. Since marshmallow is basically just a whipped sugar syrup with gelatin, it’s hard to adjust the marshmallow portion to adjust the sweetness. It is possible to make a fresh marshmallow with reduced amount of sugar, but it’s hard to say if it will set correctly for its use as a binder.

Second step would be to adjust the base cereal. Traditionally it’s puffed rice, no real sweetener added, so that can balance out the sweet - any puffed grain should give a pretty good result - puffed rice, oats, corn, what have you.

Third option is to add something to tone down the sweet. In this case the easiest choice would be salt. Prepared flavored cereals are already high in sodium, so if that’s an issue, take care. But adding salt to a dessert can tone down that cloyingly sweet taste, and enhance the dessert as a whole. Peanut butter would be another great option, since the salt and fat in the peanut butter can help tone down sweet. If you’re worried about too much fat - we are also adding cannabutter, don’t forget, perhaps adding peanut powder in place of actual peanut butter might be an option.

If you wanted to tone down the sweet, you can also add acid. In this case I would use citric acid powder so you don’t effect the texture. Unless you are aiming for Sour Patch levels of sour, I would be cautious in adding citric acid powder. Add a small amount and taste, until you get to the desired sweetness level.

One good idea when making these types of subtle changes is to take a small amount of the original mix and setting it aside. That way you have the original to taste again, to see how much further you need to adjust.

Adjusting on the small scale is good as well. A small bowl of marshmallow fluff adjusted until it’s the desired flavored profile is a good way to experiment without ruining a whole batch. And when you do flavor the whole batch, you can refer back to your sample for the correct flavor profile.

Thanks Preston! Great info.

Newty you just might be high on life dontcha know :).
Truly could be true :D

:circle-of-love::circle-of-love::circle-of-love::circle-of-love:
Fantastic feedback from everyone, blessings!
I've gotta say, I've been part of this forum for only a few days. This is one of the most community-minded, friendly, and helpful forums I've ever come across, thanks folks.
:thumb:That's why we love it here :yahoo:, and I just had to be a part of this today.:slide::Namaste:
Pardon again, this thread is so fast Lost again

Wow, my head is spinning with all the possibilities... or spinning from something else. o_O

Actually the peanut butter suggestion sounded spot on. Must try that next. The flavored cereal was likely the source of the "over the top" sweetness, but the citrus flavors in it helped mask the cannabutter taste. Also, the bright colors were fun.

I have a question:
Why does it seem that nobody uses canola (vegetable) oil to infuse with THC? I would think that should work as well as olive oil or coconut oil.
Most cakes and brownie mixes request vegetable oil in their recipes. I would prefer not to use coconut or olive oil in my brownies as they impart a flavor that would not be desirable in a baked dessert.

Short answer: should work.

Long answer:
You can use canola oil, but some people don’t like it because in its natural state rapeseed oil is full of erucic acid, and canola while bred to have less erucic acid, still have about 2% erucic acid.

Whether erucic acid is bad or not is debatable. There are some studies that show it has a negative effect on heart health. But there are also cultures that use oil with high levels of erucic acid with seemlying little effect. Bangladeshi cuisine uses mustard oils extensively, but mustard oil is not approved in the US for human consumption due to its high level of erucic acid.

Canola oil also tends to have a bad reputation in some health circles because it was developed from what was basically an industrial lubricant, which is mostly what rapeseed oil was used for in the 1800’s to the mid 1900’s.

So then, as far as being able to infuse it with THC/CBD it should work fine, which is what I was thinking. While I do try to use Canola oil sparingly, I also try to make brownies and cakes sparingly as well since they contain even more unhealthy stuff such as sugars, fat, and bleached wheat flour. Thanks for the valuable info :Namaste:.

I have been reading this thread for a couple of weeks and really enjoyed it and all the awesome recipes and ideas.

Once I have my first harvest I will definitely be making some infused olive oil but I have been thinking about an idiot proof system I would like to use and I wonder if you people think it would work. I see that most people do their decarb by heating their oil and weed to around the 230° range but I see that as a kind of system that takes a bit of fussing and there is the danger of overheating the oil so I was wondering if the following system would work.

What if I were to decarb my weed in the oven at around 230°F for an hour or so to decarb it and then to extract use a double boiler system by putting a jar with the weed and oil into a pot of boiling water so that the oil and weed would be heated to 212°F. If I did it for a couple hours at this temperature would that be warm enough to extract the THC and other chemicals?

I know it’s putting an extra step in but I do have a very accurate oven I use for other purposes so this way I wouldn’t have to worry about my temps or monitoring things. Anybody see any problems with this system?

Back
Top Bottom