cooltubes?

hiway

Do cooltubes really make a big difference? I have a small cabinet grow and i am having an issue with heat with 600 watt hps in cabinet reaches 85-90 degrease ,would a cool tube make a signiicant difference?:smokin:

Do cooltubes really make a big difference? I have a small cabinet grow and i am having an issue with heat with 600 watt hps in cabinet reaches 85-90 degrease ,would a cool tube make a signiicant difference?:smokin:

They are supposed to be the coolest running reflector on the market, but if you don't have an adequate fan it doesn't really matter. What CFM fan are you running?

I use a cool tube for my 250w HPS. I think it works great, but my bulb doesn't produce as much heat as yours. I was running my tent at 65 degrees. When I dded the HPS without the cooltube it got up to 77. When I added the tube it went down to 67.

It really depends on your area as the cool tube is not exactly small. I would say about 24 inches long? You also have to allow room for the ducting. I run it with 6" dryer vent into a 6" vortex fan running about 350cfm. You need it to be pulling a good flow of air through the tube to be effective.

Cooltubes are great if you are going to install them correctly with a proper inline fan and exhaust line. They can really help to offset the heat from you HID light. They Can be especially helpful in smaller areas that heat up easily since you can send that heat somewhere outside of the grow area. You may also want to rethink your ventilation, make sure there are enough exhaust vents, and maybe add a better fan to replace the air in the cabinet, this can also have a major effect on your temps. =)

they work for beating the heat. but actually (in my situation) since I got rid of my cooltube and re-arranged my grow tent - the heat is lower. It is because the exhaust is working much more effectively pulling through the carbon filter instead of pushing through the carbon filter. Of course if I set up 2 fans the cooltube would have worked well but thats kind of overkill. In my situation the cooltube was bringing my temp down... had an extra inline fan just didn't wanna set it up just for cooltube I didn't really need.

fan blowing over the light / under the light is just as effective as a cooltube if you think about it - a $20 18" pedestal fan moves as much or more air than a $100 centrifugal inline fan. blow it over the tops and on the light for the best effect.

another downside of cooltubes is weight and reflectivity (sucks on most of them, even with large wings). my adjust a wing weighs a couple of ounces, with the bulb in it.

Back
Top Bottom