COorganics - All Natural - No-Till With ACT's - Winter Attic Grow

I'm interested too CO. I know what happened when I tried cooking my soil in an airtight container. It was bad news. I assume there was some type of airflow in your cooking containers.

Thanks CO:thanks:

Hi guys, I do all my recycling in airtight containers. I just make sure there is just enough moisture to not let it dry out is all. Plus I usually turn it weekly with a shovel. Been doing this just over a year. Wait on CO's advice though... :)

For cooking soil: Air is good, since we prefer aerobic over anaerobic bacteria in the process. My current CC mix was mixed and cooked in a big tarp. A smart pot with a cardboard lid would be nice to cook a batch of soil in. Lots of people use Rubbermaid tubs or trash cans. When ya turn the soil mix you get air all around in it. The tarp was really easy, it was summer, and I mixed the soil up well, watered it and folded the tarp over it and held the "top" down with some bricks. It sat in the shade of a big tree. I just left it be till I needed it, other than occasionally turning it with a shovel, and adding a little water.

Cooking soil is very easy, mixing soil is the part that could be hard for some, depending on the volume of soil to me made, back strength, presence of some good helpers, etc.

Not sure of the particular post sweetleaf was referring to, but during the time I was making that thread, I was seeking a better organic soil than the TLO I was doing at the time. When I found it, (CC Mix), I closed the thread, since I feel that particular thread is a better documentation of my journey, as opposed to a How-To guide for soil.

I thought they closed this journal, the force is too strong, lol, it cannot be closed.

I use a big tote. If you turn it frequently and are careful about the water additions you begin to get the feel for what's enough. There will be moisture on the lid when you open it and running down the sides a bit, but the water in the mix should be evenly distributed by the continual turning. I took the tac of adding small amounts at a time. It became instinctive.

When I did my batch I made the mistake of not hydrating the peat moss before beginning. That actually worked to my favor when I set up my SWICK system since it gave me more wicking ability. I started out dry and added the first dose of water to the mixed bin. Then by getting in there twice a week and turning it I slowly adjusted the water volume until it was perfect by planting time.

Thanks CO and Sweetsue.

I mix on tarp and water to field capacity. I drilled 3/8 inch holes all over a couple 37 gallon rubber maid totes (no holes on bottom or corners) and lined it with burlap. Works perfect for cooking soil in a garage. But COs tarp method is the one most commonly accepted and promoted by the pros. It's definitely the easiest - most foolproof method but doesn't work very well in WA in the winter. Environment and stealth bring a lot of us suburban growers indoors. That's probably how cooking in containers became so popular.

I like the smartpot idea too...

Thanks again for your info guys and girls!
:peace::Namaste::thanks:

Thanks for the info CO Sue, and Smokes,

The thread is closed, which is why I had to come ask the question here. A closed thread can't be added to, but they keep them around because it would be a shame to lose all that information. There's some good stuff in there, if if it's no longer how you roll.

Thanks. Come good weather I will go with the tarp method, I think :)

Back
Top Bottom