COPD and vaporizing

Super Lemon Haze contains plenty of the Terpene Lemonene which is a great bronchodilatator.

K-13 contains Borneol, also used for COPD.

Amnesia Haze contains Linalool, which works as an anti-inflammatory.

Delta 3 Carene is found in many cannabis plants and it's also a great anti-inflammatory substance.

So is Alpha and Beta Pinene, also found in many strains.

Super Silver Haze contains Cineole. Also a great anti-inflammatory.

I shall stop googling now. You can continue :)

Thanks for those suggestions. I hear ACDC is good too. Here's a good link for Asthma and MJ...

Asthma is a chronic respiratory disease that currently affects up to 300 million people worldwide, and was responsible for approximately 250,000 deaths in 2011. Cannabis has been used as a means of treating the symptoms of asthma for millennia, in various medicinal traditions including those of ancient India and China.

Top 6 benefits of cannabis for asthma

Analgesic

Although pain is not necessarily considered to be a primary symptom of an acute episode of asthma, studies have shown that up to 76% of patients experience chest pain during an attack. Generally, asthma-related pain is characterized by a deep ache or sharp stabbing sensation that develops gradually over the first few hours of the attack, and slowly dissipates as the attack recedes.

While there are no studies that specifically investigate the ability of cannabis to treat asthma-related pain, several studies into the general effect of cannabis on asthma have noted subjective improvements in pain. The known bronchodilatory and analgesic effects of certain cannabinoids suggest that they could be useful in managing asthma-related pain both by reducing pressure and constriction in the lungs, and by acting directly at the nociceptors (pain-sensing nerve cells) themselves.

Antibiotic

Although asthma is generally thought to have some genetic basis, there is increasing evidence for the fact that the disease may be triggered or caused by bacterial or viral infections in early childhood, which due to their effect on the immune system, leave sufferers susceptible to various allergens and irritants.

An emerging body of research is currently looking into the potential for antibiotics to treat both the short- and long-term symptoms of asthma, and thus far, several studies have pointed to the potential for common antibiotics such as erythromycin and azithromycin to ease the acute symptoms of asthma.

Cannabinoids including THC, CBD, and CBG have been shown to have a broad-spectrum bactericidal effect against many common and infectious pathogens. One group of bacterial agents suspected of being a potential underlying cause of asthma is the Streptococcus genus, which includes S. pneumoniae and S. aureae, has been shown in several studies to succumb to the bactericidal effect of cannabinoids.

During an asthma attack, the bronchi of the lungs constrict and airflow is blocked

Anti-inflammatory

Asthma is considered to be a chronic inflammatory condition, as persistent, low-level inflammation has been found to occur in the bronchi and bronchioles even during non-attack circumstances. During an attack, levels of inflammation increase, exacerbating the levels of constriction caused by muscular contractions of the bronchial tissue. Asthma-related inflammation is generally thought to be an immune response to the presence of allergens, although the immune response has not been definitively ascertained and may differ greatly between individuals.

Generally, acute episodes of asthma are treated using bronchodilators as a first line of defence, but in severe cases it is also likely that some form of anti-inflammatory drugs such as steroids or NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) will be administered.

Cannabinoids are well-known for their anti-inflammatory effects, and while most studies thus far into cannabis and asthma have focused primarily on the bronchodilatory effect, some have also observed a reduction in bronchial inflammation. Furthermore, cannabis is currently being investigated for its ability to produce targeted therapies for immune-modulated inflammatory diseases.

Cannabinoid receptors have been found in human lung tissue, although in relatively low concentrations, and are thought to play a vital role in the regulation of inflammation, muscular contractions and dilations, and various metabolic processes. However, research into the immune-modulated inflammatory response (and how cannabis may assist it) is in its infancy.

Cannabis has been found to reduce bronchial constriction as effectively as salbutamol.

Bronchodilatory

The ability of cannabis to act as a bronchodilator is perhaps its most significant property in terms of the treatment of asthma. During an asthma attack, the bronchioles (the branching network of tubes that carry oxygen to the alveoli) become constricted, causing the rate of oxygen flow to drastically reduce.

Generally, the extent of bronchoconstriction during an attack is determined by peak expiratory flow measurements, which are taken from patients and compared to readings taken in normal circumstances. The difference between the normal rate of airflow and the limited airflow during an attack can thus be determined.

Several studies have shown that administration of cannabis in various forms can significantly improve bronchoconstriction both during an asthma attack and in normal circumstances (sufferers of severe asthma often have lower-than-average airflow compared to non-asthmatics even when an attack is not occurring).

In the early 1970s, a spate of studies were published investigating the bronchodilatory effects of cannabis for asthmatics. A study in 1973 observed that cannabis smoke—unlike that of tobacco—caused a bronchodilatory effect; a 1974 study found that while the bronchodilatory effect of cannabis was weaker than that of isoproterenol, its effects lasted longer, and a 1976 study found that cannabis was as equally effective as salbutamol, although the latter achieved maximal bronchodilation somewhat more rapidly.

Cannabinoid receptors have been found in human lung tissue. Cannabinoid receptors have been found in human lung tissue.

As with much of cannabinoid science, there are complicating factors. For example, a recent study found that the endogenous cannabinoid anandamide could actually exert a biphasic (two-stage) effect on lung tissue: it strongly inhibits bronchial constriction in the presence of an allergen or irritant (in this case capsaicin) but causes bronchial constriction in normal circumstances, i.e. when no irritant is present. Indeed, some patients administered with THC have reported experiencing bronchial constriction. Thus, further research is needed to determine exactly how cannabinoid treatments should be used across the board.

Antispasmodic

It is thought that cannabis can exert a bronchodilatory effect mostly through its ability to reduce inflammation. However, it is also thought that cannabis’ ability to reduce muscular spasms (involuntary contractions) plays a significant role in the management of bronchoconstriction during an asthma attack. The bronchi and bronchioles are composed of smooth muscle, and during an attack, they contract and narrow as well as becoming inflamed.

In a study published in 2014, researchers took bronchial lung tissue from 88 human patients and subjected it to electrical field stimulation to cause the muscle tissue to contract. They then administered THC, the endogenous cannabinoid 2-AG, and various synthetic agonists of CB-receptors type I & II. They found that certain agonists of the CB1-receptor, including THC, reduced muscle contractions in a dose-dependent manner. Furthermore, it was observed that the endogenous cannabinoid 2-AG had no effect.

Expectorant/anti-mucosal

Although evidence is shaky for cannabis' expectorant effect, it has been used in cough medicines for centuries.

The ability of cannabis to act as an expectorant is somewhat controversial. It has been used as such for thousands of years, and appears in the ancient pharmacopoeiae of China and India, but modern research has been sparse and has thus far yielded only ambiguous results.

Countless people throughout the world report an expectorant effect after smoking or vaporizing cannabis. If it were noted only in smokers of cannabis, it could easily be dismissed as a result of the irritation caused by smoke particles ; the fact that an effect is experienced even when inhaling vapour suggests that an active substance in cannabis is causing it.

However, most existing research actually points to the propensity of cannabis to cause production of mucus. For example, a study published in 2014 observed increased mucus secretions in habitual cannabis smokers, along with damage to the tissues of the airways. Thus, further research into the expectorant and decongestant effects of cannabis could be advantageous.

Source: Top 6 benefits of cannabis for asthma by Seshata

I wish to relate a demonstration my brother made to me this past year. He has smoked cigarettes for about 45 years, he has smoked pot just about as long. He has a Mass in one lung the size of a woman's fist, thought not to be growing but it is not a good thing for breathing,he has serious heart conditions that makes surviving surgeries unlikely, diagnosed long ago with COPD and is often on oxygen and using other breathing treatments. He will not quit smoking cigarettes and is surely not going to be around much longer. However when I chastised him about still smoking cigarettes and suggested he might should cut back on the Pot as well, he asked me to observe while he demonstrated the benefits of continuing to smoke Cannabis. He took a blood/oxygen saturation reading with his monitor and showed me the level which was subnormal and indicated he needed to put his oxygen apparatus on. Rather than do that we smoked several good pulls of a vape pen of some really good stuff. He than took another blood /oxygen reading again and it had improved several points to near normal and more importantly ,perhaps, he said he felt better. I don't know, if in your situation, what I would do for sure. I can not say there is no detrimental effects from vaping cannabis while having COPD. I don't know if the effect I observed with my brother would be what you would have. But it is what is helping him in his situation! You might consider getting a oxygen blood saturation tester and trying it for yourself. In my brothers case, he uses all the medical devices, drugs and the vape pen together and he feels like the pot has given him more time and stopped the growth of the mass in his lung from growing faster and killing him sooner. The mass evidently first appeared on an xray several years ago already large, but has barely grown in those years ,without treatment or surgery. He is terminally ill from lung and heart disease and would rather die without undergoing surgery, maybe because of the unlikeliness of surviving long beyond that surgery in the unlikely event of "success ". Your situation may be far better and your options to achieve longevity with decent quality of life far different. Best wishes and God be with you brother!

T Tim...I'm sorry to hear of your brothers serious troubles. But I'm glad he's found some solace in cannabis. Would you happen to know what the strain was that he was using when his pulse O2 inproved after he used it? Or does he talk about any certain strains that seem to help him more than others do? I sure do wish there was more information out there about COPD and cannabis.

T Tim...I'm sorry to hear of your brothers serious troubles. But I'm glad he's found some solace in cannabis. Would you happen to know what the strain was that he was using when his pulse O2 inproved after he used it? Or does he talk about any certain strains that seem to help him more than others do? I sure do wish there was more information out there about COPD and cannabis.

I will ask him your questions, as I don't remember what it was that day he demonstrated the effects or if he thinks he gets better results from some, rather than others. I do know he gets most everything from MMJ dispensaries in Colorado . I'll get back to you if he gives me some more details on varieties and effects.

Thank you. I'll be eagerly awaiting your answer. I hope he can remember what strain or strains he used that helped his pulse ox to go up, but then maybe he's still using the same ones.

Thank you. I'll be eagerly awaiting your answer. I hope he can remember what strain or strains he used that helped his pulse ox to go up, but then maybe he's still using the same ones.

:rollit:Your most welcome. I have been trying to reach him all day but he has not returned my calls yet. I will try and get what information I can asap. I should of paid more heed to the results and asked him more questions at the time. I was very impressed but also very stoned!

:rollit:Your most welcome. I have been trying to reach him all day but he has not returned my calls yet. I will try and get what information I can asap. I should of paid more heed to the results and asked him more questions at the time. I was very impressed but also very stoned!

My brother just called and I asked him about his observations concerning Cannabis and COPD. He stated that he uses all high quality bud or vape pens/oils with a good THC/CBD ratio. He named a whole bunch of varieties that he has used and they included both Sativa and Indica strains. Afghan Kush, Train Wreck, Jack Herrer, Super Silver Haze, Blueberry, White Widow to name a few. He said they all helped if you didn't overdo it! He said a half a joint or less smoked in small puffs worked ok for him. He also said that real bud worked better than vaping , but vaping a blend with a good balance of THC/CDB did help some as well. He indicated that about any pot helped increase his blood /oxygen level and eased his heart rate and anxiety as well. (not my case) I guess experimentation is in order for the individual to determine what works best for them.

Okay, that's really good to know. I'll go shopping. LOL Those are good strains you mentioned and pretty common too so they should be easy to find. Thanks a bunch!

I have COPD and use a volcano in an enclosed bedroom.If you fill the bag with vapor and just set it down for a while the vapor will attach to the inside surface of the bag.A sticky resin.This resin vapor attaches to walls and fabric leaving a burnt dusty odor in the room.Because I have bad lungs it is an irritant to me when built up in the room.I plan to order a tabletop HEPA filter and set it next to my volcano so I can exhale into the filter.As a side note I spent $49 for a furnace repairman to come out thinking that was the source.

I have COPD and use a volcano in an enclosed bedroom.If you fill the bag with vapor and just set it down for a while the vapor will attach to the inside surface of the bag.A sticky resin.This resin vapor attaches to walls and fabric leaving a burnt dusty odor in the room.Because I have bad lungs it is an irritant to me when built up in the room.I plan to order a tabletop HEPA filter and set it next to my volcano so I can exhale into the filter.As a side note I spent $49 for a furnace repairman to come out thinking that was the source.

do you ever wonder what that sticky resin that builds up in the bag and room walls and fabrics does in your lungs??

Volcano owner...but it's totally unreasonable to think we could insert a needle deep into our arms into the main artery every day, even just once..... That's why we have the small Pulse Ox readers which are the same as the Docs use and work quite well.

So have you noticed a drop in your endurance or pulse o2 since vaping the Volcano?

Volcano owner...but it's totally unreasonable to think we could insert a needle deep into our arms into the main artery every day, even just once..... That's why we have the small Pulse Ox readers which are the same as the Docs use and work quite well.

So have you noticed a drop in your endurance or pulse o2 since vaping the Volcano?

No I haven't. My pulse ox is 97. Holding steady for a year now. I vap between 1 or 1/2 oz of material per month.

Back
Top Bottom