Copperrein's Dr. Grinspoon And Freakshow Free For All With Viparspectra: Hunting Mothers

Welp, I wanted something more challenging than popular strains and I got it. In this grow I will be 'managing' three Dr. Grinspoons and two Freakshows. My goal is to clone (lololol) each plant, keep the original plants in veg while I flower the clones. I hope to find a super freaky Freakshow and a rare 'string of pearls' Grinspoon. If I can find the phenotypes I'm looking for, they will remain as mothers. Anything not up to snuff will just get flowered.

Strains:

Freakshow is a unique strain that features palmatisect leaves, similar to dusty miller/silver ragwort. It looks nothing like your standard cannabis! Freakshow's true character only appears in flower when she should produce medium to large yield flower with apparently incredible sativa effects.

The breeder, Shapeshifter, started working with landrace sativas back in the day and while his 'job' was to hunt phenos for the general consumer that had better effects and yields, he started finding some weirdos in the process. Instead of tossing them and losing those freaky genetics forever, he began to hoard and breed them in search of something truly unusual. Additionally, Shapeshifter saw that in the process of bringing cannabis to the US and breeding just the tastiest, fattest, dankest, and most 'weed-like' weed, a massive part of cannabis' wild landrace genetic makeup was being lost.

The idea of growing something that has an offbeat beginning appeals to me, as does the idea of preserving 'less desirable' traits. I have this hope that one day cannabis will be descheduled and federally legal (with state's handling the gritty details like tobacco and booze), and we can all openly grow whatever we want. No need to hide, no need to be constrained to a 4x4 space. Perhaps one day we can have canna garden shows, much like roses and tulips where the entire plant is considered, not just the harvest. ANYHOO...yeah...she's a weirdo:

IMG_20210816_074012_278.jpg

(image source Humboldt Seed Co.)​

My second strain in this debacle is Dr. Grinspoon. It's 100% sativa and was bred in honor of its namesake. She's an incredibly fast plant so I'll be working to keep her as small as possible. I've read that she will easily get 3m/10' tall...indoors. She should be fun. Her freakiness comes from an occasionally-appearing trait know as 'string of pearls':

IMG_20210816_074020_269.jpg
IMG_20210816_074025_011.jpg

(image source Barney's Farm)
Hopefully one of my three Grinspoons will show this trait. Shapeshifter, the breeder of Freakshow, believes that cannabis is being outbred far too much and has stated that crossing Freakshow with diluted more modern strains isn't something he wants. Not going to lie, the idea of breeding Freakshow and Grinspoon together appeals to me, but as I read more about the preservation of heirloom/landrace genetics I may change my mind. Maybe I'll try to reach out to him for his blessing.

Anyhoo! The grow!

Soil:

I've been phaffing about with building my own soil. I've ran SubCool's super soil (expensive and frustrating to find all the components), Fox Farms Happy Frog and Ocean Forest, and a crappy attempt at Bugbee's simple mix (got screwed on a truckload of supposed 'compost soil' that ended up being fill dirt).

Subcool's was great, but again all the near-exotic crap needed to build it is gratuitously expensive, especially for 12 plants. In regards to bagged cannabis soils...meh. I feel too much amending and additional feeding is needed to push plants in these soils. They're not that cheap, either.

There's also something in me that feels I wont really be growing my own plants until I am lord and master of media and nutrients. This is silly, of course, but there's still that tugging nuisance of the idea that I doubt will ever go away so here we are.

I modified a soil mix I created this spring for my outdoor girls (which is near perfect for my needs and is working really well). This grow I wanted a hotter soil to help push tent plants through shorter growth cycles (4 months). It is indeed hotter and I've been tweaking the mix depending on what the plants are telling me. The basic mix is:

Pelletized alfalfa feed for N and growth hormones
Compost
Peat
Humus
Coco and perlite for aeration and drainage
Chicken shit from my chickens
Blood and bone meal
Dolomitic lime
Gypsum
Earth Alive mycos
Azomite

This last batch for indoor I upped the blood meal and ended up with some putrification. I don't feel this is terrible if the soil is allowed to cook for a couple months. I only gave this soil 3 weeks. There were still maggots active when I tried my first up-pot. It was of course too hot and I will use the larva in the future as an indication of soil readiness.

'Gross!' you may have thought. Maggots are definitely icky but their excrement, pupal shell, and corpses all provide some cool benefits for the plants so I consider them little helpers. If the soil that is to be cooked is wrapped tightly and left to sit (cook) long enough, you normally don't even have to interact with them.

WORD OF CAUTION: cooking soils and composts can get hot enough to catch fire. Keep your mixes away from buildings just in case. At one point about a week into cooking, the center of my soil reached 170f. Not combustion temps but the possibility is there so just please be careful. I hope safety is at the forefront of everyone's minds now. If you haven't joined in, I invite you to this thread on grow safety:

The Environment

The environment is buggered. 100%. Within days of starting this grow we had more strong storms roll through, brown outs occurred, and my dehumidifier crapped the bed. Temps had been in the mid 80's to low 90's with humidity ranging from 50% to 80%. Now the dehumidifier recall has it so that I'm not even bothering to find a replacement until I can do some serious research (sadly my unit wasn't on the recall list). So yeah...we'll just sweep my grow environment under the rug for now >.>

That's it for now. I'll be posting grow progress up to this point today (hopefully, unless more hurdles appear). I apologize for the less linear flow to this intro...the heat's got me kerfluffled.

Welp, I wanted something more challenging than popular strains and I got it. In this grow I will be 'managing' three Dr. Grinspoons and two Freakshows. My goal is to clone (lololol) each plant, keep the original plants in veg while I flower the clones. I hope to find a super freaky Freakshow and a rare 'string of pearls' Grinspoon. If I can find the phenotypes I'm looking for, they will remain as mothers. Anything not up to snuff will just get flowered.

Strains:

Freakshow is a unique strain that features palmatisect leaves, similar to dusty miller/silver ragwort. It looks nothing like your standard cannabis! Freakshow's true character only appears in flower when she should produce medium to large yield flower with apparently incredible sativa effects.

The breeder, Shapeshifter, started working with landrace sativas back in the day and while his 'job' was to hunt phenos for the general consumer that had better effects and yields, he started finding some weirdos in the process. Instead of tossing them and losing those freaky genetics forever, he began to hoard and breed them in search of something truly unusual. Additionally, Shapeshifter saw that in the process of bringing cannabis to the US and breeding just the tastiest, fattest, dankest, and most 'weed-like' weed, a massive part of cannabis' wild landrace genetic makeup was being lost.

The idea of growing something that has an offbeat beginning appeals to me, as does the idea of preserving 'less desirable' traits. I have this hope that one day cannabis will be descheduled and federally legal (with state's handling the gritty details like tobacco and booze), and we can all openly grow whatever we want. No need to hide, no need to be constrained to a 4x4 space. Perhaps one day we can have canna garden shows, much like roses and tulips where the entire plant is considered, not just the harvest. ANYHOO...yeah...she's a weirdo:

(image source Humboldt Seed Co.)​

My second strain in this debacle is Dr. Grinspoon. It's 100% sativa and was bred in honor of its namesake. She's an incredibly fast plant so I'll be working to keep her as small as possible. I've read that she will easily get 3m/10' tall...indoors. She should be fun. Her freakiness comes from an occasionally-appearing trait know as 'string of pearls':

(image source Barney's Farm)
Hopefully one of my three Grinspoons will show this trait. Shapeshifter, the breeder of Freakshow, believes that cannabis is being outbred far too much and has stated that crossing Freakshow with diluted more modern strains isn't something he wants. Not going to lie, the idea of breeding Freakshow and Grinspoon together appeals to me, but as I read more about the preservation of heirloom/landrace genetics I may change my mind. Maybe I'll try to reach out to him for his blessing.

Anyhoo! The grow!

Soil:

I've been phaffing about with building my own soil. I've ran SubCool's super soil (expensive and frustrating to find all the components), Fox Farms Happy Frog and Ocean Forest, and a crappy attempt at Bugbee's simple mix (got screwed on a truckload of supposed 'compost soil' that ended up being fill dirt).

Subcool's was great, but again all the near-exotic crap needed to build it is gratuitously expensive, especially for 12 plants. In regards to bagged cannabis soils...meh. I feel too much amending and additional feeding is needed to push plants in these soils. They're not that cheap, either.

There's also something in me that feels I wont really be growing my own plants until I am lord and master of media and nutrients. This is silly, of course, but there's still that tugging nuisance of the idea that I doubt will ever go away so here we are.

I modified a soil mix I created this spring for my outdoor girls (which is near perfect for my needs and is working really well). This grow I wanted a hotter soil to help push tent plants through shorter growth cycles (4 months). It is indeed hotter and I've been tweaking the mix depending on what the plants are telling me. The basic mix is:

Pelletized alfalfa feed for N and growth hormones
Compost
Peat
Humus
Coco and perlite for aeration and drainage
Chicken shit from my chickens
Blood and bone meal
Dolomitic lime
Gypsum
Earth Alive mycos
Azomite

This last batch for indoor I upped the blood meal and ended up with some putrification. I don't feel this is terrible if the soil is allowed to cook for a couple months. I only gave this soil 3 weeks. There were still maggots active when I tried my first up-pot. It was of course too hot and I will use the larva in the future as an indication of soil readiness.

'Gross!' you may have thought. Maggots are definitely icky but their excrement, pupal shell, and corpses all provide some cool benefits for the plants so I consider them little helpers. If the soil that is to be cooked is wrapped tightly and left to sit (cook) long enough, you normally don't even have to interact with them.

WORD OF CAUTION: cooking soils and composts can get hot enough to catch fire. Keep your mixes away from buildings just in case. At one point about a week into cooking, the center of my soil reached 170f. Not combustion temps but the possibility is there so just please be careful. I hope safety is at the forefront of everyone's minds now. If you haven't joined in, I invite you to this thread on grow safety:

The Environment

The environment is buggered. 100%. Within days of starting this grow we had more strong storms roll through, brown outs occurred, and my dehumidifier crapped the bed. Temps had been in the mid 80's to low 90's with humidity ranging from 50% to 80%. Now the dehumidifier recall has it so that I'm not even bothering to find a replacement until I can do some serious research (sadly my unit wasn't on the recall list). So yeah...we'll just sweep my grow environment under the rug for now >.>

The Light and tent!

2x4 ViparSpectra Tent
P2000 ViparSpectra Light

So many thanks to Valerie at ViparSpectra! This is the third time I've sat down to write this journal thanks to 1.) a storm killing our power while writing version one and 2.) my own misunderstanding of how the forums save drafts here (it's only for 24 hours). Poor Valerie sent me my light and tent over a month ago and while I've been growing with the kit from ViparSpectra, I haven't been able to share anything because of what feels like a constant barrage of bad luck and A.D.D..

The tent is great. It's made of lighter fabric than my vivosun tents which is actually a positive. The door folds away nicely when open instead of staying semi-rigid and flopping about while I try work. The interior reflective material is of a finer texture, creating a softer dispersal of light. The zipper isn't one of those pain in the butt 'heavy duty' affairs that always seem to catch the tape running along the doors. It's a good zipper well suited to the task and material. I have yet to have it catch on the fabric.

For the frame ViparSpectra used the common steel tubing system most other tents have, but they include a lengthwise ceiling bar in addition to the standard two depthwise top bars for hanging lights. This gives more rigidity and attachment points above the light for fans, fly tape, plant supports. I like this tent a lot.

The light is also pretty spiffy. Good solid construction, Samsung LEDs, and a 200W Sosen Driver. The driver is an unknown despite my research, but so far it's running no hotter than my lights using the Meanwell driver. LEDs include 660nm, 3000K and 5000K. My math tells me ViparSpectra is running their LEDs at around 0.3 watts, making the driver more than enough while maxing out efficiency. Woot for efficiency! Plus...they've got a good amount of red in the mix which I'm excited to flower under.

That's it for now. I'll be posting grow progress up to this point today (hopefully, unless more hurdles appear). I apologize for the less linear flow to this intro...the heat's got me kerfluffled.
Just one more ball for you to juggle! Go Copper!

smoking a bowl of Dream Queen/Green Crack...muy relaxing
I have a little one of those going into 36 hours of darkness on Saturday. Really looking forward to it. One of my all time favorites. But mine is unapologetically GREEN CRACK!!!

Time for a post to bring this journal up to speed:

I had a couple sprouts seppuku early into the grow, either due to the heat or my own failure somewhere. Not entirely sure why this summer had been a butt specifically in regards to getting plants going but it has.

I'm just going to dump all the photos I've uploaded. They're sequential and a couple of the plants in the first images had to be replaced.

Currently I seem to have an iron deficiency. Somehow with my high iron well water my plants aren't getting enough iron. I need to do some reading and see if I'm missing something like a chelator. I also ordered chelated iron for foliar feeding which should be here today. What's weird is my hydro plants...completely different system, tent, and nutes...is also showing iron deficiency. Weird as. Please if anyone has suggestions as to why all of the sudden I'm missing a mineral that's normally in surplus in my water let me know.

Love it :green_heart:
Your addicted to this growing lark me thinks mate..
Iron deficiency, when you have loads of it:hmmmm:
Do you follow this chart?
Screenshot_20210812-165306.jpeg

Fook knows what it means.
But apparently it shows what mineral/element locks out the other or compliments the other

Love it :green_heart:
Your addicted to this growing lark me thinks mate..
Iron deficiency, when you have loads of it:hmmmm:
Do you follow this chart?
Screenshot_20210812-165306.jpeg

Fook knows what it means.
But apparently it shows what mineral/element locks out the other or compliments the other
Sweet jesus, mate...what are you doing to my brain??? Imma have to print this out and try to make sense of it. At a glance I think it says I need more potassium? Thanks a lot, tho...this is brilliant.

Nee problem..
or less copper, phosphorus and zinc.
Still don't know how to navigate the chart properly.
Too many lines and arrows

Edit:
And manganese

But saying the others are macro nutrients, I would concentrate on either P or K at first

Nee problem..
or less copper, phosphorus and zinc.
Still don't know how to navigate the chart properly.
Too many lines and arrows

Edit:
And manganese

But saying the others are macro nutrients, I would concentrate on either P or K at first
Agreed. I think I may need to water them today and will give them some K. Thank you again for this! I would have just tried to feed them more iron which may not be the right fix. If the K doesn't fix it, then I'll hit them with the chelated iron :tommy:

Today's update in photos:

Guys....guuuyss....Freakshow is so damn cool. I wonder what she'd do outside and untouched? Hmmm....

Agreed. I think I may need to water them today and will give them some K. Thank you again for this! I would have just tried to feed them more iron which may not be the right fix. If the K doesn't fix it, then I'll hit them with the chelated iron :tommy:

Today's update in photos:

Guys....guuuyss....Freakshow is so damn cool. I wonder what she'd do outside and untouched? Hmmm....

Too much Fe will lock out both P and Fe as there is reciprocal antagonism - Mg will aid the P uptake and possibly free up some of the Fe
That's what I mean about following the lines

Back
Top Bottom