Copperrein's Dr. Grinspoon And Freakshow Free For All With Viparspectra: Hunting Mothers

Welcome, @Thirvnrob !

Update: I root pruned the grinspoons, re-filled the same containers with a 50/50 mix of old soil and new soil, and saturated with pH 6.0 water and mycos. I also cut back some of the foliage to balance the new root ball size and the plant's mass.

I tried two knives: a straight edge and a serrated. I felt more control with the serrated knife. The thin prep knife with the straight edge wanted to drift to either side while cutting.

P.S. guinea pigs love veg-stage leaves, or so says Little P the sentient yam

@DonkeyDick @KritikalHitz Thank you! :green_heart:

Update:

Nothing died last night so yay for that. My Grinspoons actually look happier. I know that was the point of the root pruning but it's still weird when something so brutal works.

Freakshow is happy as well and I need to top up my cloner this morning so they must be drinking? Right?

You really need to get rid of those clear buckets or wrap them up in a blockout tape. The light being able to penetrate through the buckets to the roots is whats causing all that mold. Interesting strains you got going!
Do you mean algae? There's algae, yes. But no mold. Any white stuff on the leaves is just the dried BTk spray I use against caterpillars. If I find decent mothers I'll move those into proper pots. For now the poor growing conditions are helping to keep their rapid growth in check. If I moved them into really good pots and soil now, they'd take over the tent.

@HashGirl they grow stupid-fast. Some people have reported 9' indoor heights. They're going to need a lot of micromanagement to keep them in the @ViparSpectra 2x4 tent, which is part of the challenge I've set for myself in this grow.

This grow is stirring the muck up elsewhere on the interwebs and I just needed to rant about yields. I don't see you fine folks doing the thing that caused this rant so I'd like your thoughts on the following:

I'm always put off when people are like 'why grow that strain?! The yields are crap!'. I'm mean yield is nice but that's not my main goal when growing. I'm not making my living from harvesting a product. I'm never out of flower (well...most of the time
1f600.png
) and I will take effect, aroma, and flavor over tons of bud any day.
I'm a vet and used my GI and college fund cash to work towards a masters in biomedical engineering (focused on prosthetics). Along the way the world of genetics and epidemiology shanghaied my brain. I'm an 80s kid so anything involving cool gene science or monstrous mutations already had a special place in my heart
Fast forward to rec legal weed in Michigan. Never really smoked before, preferred booze and amphetamines to what I just believed was the 'stoner effect'. A buddy brought me clones which I promptly started to fuck up and struggle with. I did get a harvest, albeit a pathetic one. More so I gained an obsession with these plants. Their dynamic and relatively unstable mutable genetics hooked me hard. All the strains and mutations and phenotypes...epigenetic conditioning, backcrossing... Holy shit.
The variety, strain history (and often the drama surrounding it...
1f440.png
) is why I grow. The simple act of seeing a single seed to harvest and being able to viscerally understand through taste and effect how what I do in the tent affects harvest is brilliant. Starting to grow these plants kept me from dark thoughts, cyclic depression, and anxiety. I haven't had a drink for almost two years now. I can't remember the last time i thought about walking out into the highway or some similar thing.
We're not all growing for yield. Some of us are just trying to enjoy the hobby and grow the best plants we can. No, Dr. Grinspoon doesn't have a huge yield... It is however a challenging plant to grow and can show some very PRETTY buds.
End rant.

Yeah so what gives? We're 12 plants rec legal here so how the hell are people still freaking out about yields? Don't most places only allow 4? Like...CANADA...blessed free and weed-friendly Canada allows only 4 plants in most places (I think?...might be wrong) and I have yet to meet a Canadian starving for bud.

Are these the same people that buy a 24-pack of piss beer and think it's somehow better than a 6-pack of craft? Holy shit humans make me want to throw things at other things.

ANYHOO...

the ladies are doing lady things. I'm wondering if keeping the light on 24/7 might help slow the Grinspoons down. My reasoning is a good portion of growth happens during lights out. Right? Sooo if they don't have that dark period to do proper plant grow things...they'll slow down? Just an idea. The sane side of my brain says this is a dumb idea.

@HashGirl they grow stupid-fast. Some people have reported 9' indoor heights. They're going to need a lot of micromanagement to keep them in the @ViparSpectra 2x4 tent, which is part of the challenge I've set for myself in this grow.

Have you done any searches for growing advice when it comes to the Dr. Grinspoons? I did a quick search and found a number of online grow diaries featuring this strain.

Has anyone on 420 grown them before?

This grow is stirring the muck up elsewhere on the interwebs and I just needed to rant about yields. I don't see you fine folks doing the thing that caused this rant so I'd like your thoughts on the following:

I'm always put off when people are like 'why grow that strain?! The yields are crap!'. I'm mean yield is nice but that's not my main goal when growing. I'm not making my living from harvesting a product. I'm never out of flower (well...most of the time
1f600.png
I'm a vet and used my GI and college fund cash to work towards a masters in biomedical engineering (focused on prosthetics). Along the way the world of genetics and epidemiology shanghaied my brain. I'm an 80s kid so anything involving cool gene science or monstrous mutations already had a special place in my heart
Fast forward to rec legal weed in Michigan. Never really smoked before, preferred booze and amphetamines to what I just believed was the 'stoner effect'. A buddy brought me clones which I promptly started to fuck up and struggle with. I did get a harvest, albeit a pathetic one. More so I gained an obsession with these plants. Their dynamic and relatively unstable mutable genetics hooked me hard. All the strains and mutations and phenotypes...epigenetic conditioning, backcrossing... Holy shit.
1f440.png
) is why I grow. The simple act of seeing a single seed to harvest and being able to viscerally understand through taste and effect how what I do in the tent affects harvest is brilliant. Starting to grow these plants kept me from dark thoughts, cyclic depression, and anxiety. I haven't had a drink for almost two years now. I can't remember the last time i thought about walking out into the highway or some similar thing.
We're not all growing for yield. Some of us are just trying to enjoy the hobby and grow the best plants we can. No, Dr. Grinspoon doesn't have a huge yield... It is however a challenging plant to grow and can show some very PRETTY buds.
End rant.

Yeah so what gives? We're 12 plants rec legal here so how the hell are people still freaking out about yields? Don't most places only allow 4? Like...CANADA...blessed free and weed-friendly Canada allows only 4 plants in most places (I think?...might be wrong) and I have yet to meet a Canadian starving for bud.

Are these the same people that buy a 24-pack of piss beer and think it's somehow better than a 6-pack of craft? Holy shit humans make me want to throw things at other things.

Wow! 12 plants recreational? That's pretty cool. I have a medical marijuana licence so in addition to the 4 outdoor plants Health Canada allows me to grow, I can also grow up to 20 plants indoors.

Some people are dicks. They like to pass judgement on others because it makes them feel big and powerful and in control. I just try to stay away from them, which is especially hard when you have a sister like that. ;)

Do you mean algae? There's algae, yes. But no mold. Any white stuff on the leaves is just the dried BTk spray I use against caterpillars. If I find decent mothers I'll move those into proper pots. For now the poor growing conditions are helping to keep their rapid growth in check. If I moved them into really good pots and soil now, they'd take over the tent.

1f600.png
1f440.png
End rant.

ANYHOO...

the ladies are doing lady things. I'm wondering if keeping the light on 24/7 might help slow the Grinspoons down. My reasoning is a good portion of growth happens during lights out. Right? Sooo if they don't have that dark period to do proper plant grow things...they'll slow down? Just an idea. The sane side of my brain says this is a dumb idea.

They're looking great.

1f600.png
1f440.png
End rant.

ANYHOO...

1f600.png
1f440.png
End rant.

ANYHOO...

The reason I am on this site is because I originally started a journal on a few other sites and the grow snobs on their forums reminded me of the cliques in high school. I asked for advice several times and never got any help from anyone so I came here and have never been happier

Have you done any searches for growing advice when it comes to the Dr. Grinspoons? I did a quick search and found a number of online grow diaries featuring this strain.

Has anyone on 420 grown them before?

Wow! 12 plants recreational? That's pretty cool. I have a medical marijuana licence so in addition to the 4 outdoor plants Health Canada allows me to grow, I can also grow up to 20 plants indoors.

Some people are dicks. They like to pass judgement on others because it makes them feel big and powerful and in control. I just try to stay away from them, which is especially hard when you have a sister like that. ;)
I did research and the best info I found came from 420mag threads. This is legit the only place I feel comfortable journaling.

And fast nod to families being mentally draining. It's so gross.

1f600.png
1f440.png
End rant.

ANYHOO...

Yeah, I meant Algae. -_-'

I think I'm going to need another cloner. Grinspoon is back to the same size she was prior to her root pruning. They should give this one the latin name kudzu celeritas.

Speaking of the cloner it's full and happy. Why are clone sites so close together? Is it a good idea to fill every site?

@ViparSpectra I'm really loving my P2000. Thank you again for allowing me to play around with it.

Why did the Grinspoons need to be root pruned?
I am not @copperrein and there is a chance she missed your question. But I am thinking that she did the root pruning to keep the Grinspoon within a desired size, at least for awhile. Plants have a balance between their size above ground and below. The larger the above ground growth the larger the root ball or root mass that is needed to support it and vice versa.

If the grower trims off a lot of the upper growth whether for shaping and pulling cuttings to root or just to shape then the root mass is larger than the plant needs. The result is that the plant starts a sudden growth spurt until the top and bottom are balanced again.

Doing some root pruning will slow this above ground growth spurt. Not stop it, but slow it down.

Doing a major root pruning and not trimming the top often causes the plant to show signs of stress such as wilted leaves since it cannot draw in the moisture it needs. Top growth will slow down, maybe even stop, until the plant's root mass had regrown back to a size that can support the above ground growth.

This root pruning is a major method used by Bonsai tree growers to get the size and shape they want. They will even go as far as pulling the plant up and removing all soil from the roots before selecting which roots get pruned. From what I have read they can even dictate which branch will grow in a desired way by studying and pruning just one or two small roots. Talk about controlling a plant's growth.;)

I am not @copperrein and there is a chance she missed your question. But I am thinking that she did the root pruning to keep the Grinspoon within a desired size, at least for awhile. Plants have a balance between their size above ground and below. The larger the above ground growth the larger the root ball or root mass that is needed to support it and vice versa.

If the grower trims off a lot of the upper growth whether for shaping and pulling cuttings to root or just to shape then the root mass is larger than the plant needs. The result is that the plant starts a sudden growth spurt until the top and bottom are balanced again.

Doing some root pruning will slow this above ground growth spurt. Not stop it, but slow it down.

Doing a major root pruning and not trimming the top often causes the plant to show signs of stress such as wilted leaves since it cannot draw in the moisture it needs. Top growth will slow down, maybe even stop, until the plant's root mass had regrown back to a size that can support the above ground growth.

This root pruning is a major method used by Bonsai tree growers to get the size and shape they want. They will even go as far as pulling the plant up and removing all soil from the roots before selecting which roots get pruned. From what I have read they can even dictate which branch will grow in a desired way by studying and pruning just one or two small roots. Talk about controlling a plant's growth.;)

Cool! Bookmarked. Thanks for the info, SW.

@HashGirl Whoops! Missed your question. Everything SW said. I did a canna bonsai earlier this year that I stripped the entire rootball of anchor roots and re-planted in a skull with wire holding the roots in place.

@HashGirl Whoops! Missed your question. Everything SW said. I did a canna bonsai earlier this year that I stripped the entire rootball of anchor roots and re-planted in a skull with wire holding the roots in place.

And that was one really great looking plant and planter.

I actually went and looked at the photo when I had mentioned the Bonsai trees.

Back
Top Bottom