Copperrein's Sponsored BESTVA LED & Homegrown Cannabis Co Triathlon Of Sativa

Ohai there!

Before I start my normal manic rambling, let me get the details out of the way:

I'll be growing 3 plants in a homebrewed drip/kratky system. The system consists of three 5 gallon buckets from my old DWC set up. They hold 6" net pots in the lid and through the bottom I've set 2" PVC pipe so that about an inch of pipe extends up from the bottom of the bucket. Below, I left about 3".

The buckets sit on some old steel roofing I beat into submission so that I have an easily modifiable, light, and strong lid/base. Beneath it all is a really sweet shipping container I nabbed off 'the zon':

61d2ifcqA0L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

My reservoir. It's 15"-ish by 48"

Nutrients are pumped with a little vivosun fountain pump thing. They look cheap but last year our septic system decided it needed a new drain field and I had to use one of these little baddies to suck poo and paper out of a tank into another tank. It worked and best part was they're cheap enough I just tossed it when done (feel bad about that but it was incredibly gr....OH LOOK...I'M RAMBLING....

Ok so...Vivosun 2x4 tent with this setup (caution...I swear....I try not to...but ex Navy sooo):

LIGHT: I'm running a BESTVA P1000W full spectrum LED light in a 2x4 tent with 3 different sativas (yes I know that's not ideal but I'm testing the light, right? Imma test it so hard it wont know what hit it)

So far I'm really digging the light. It feels more natural to my eyes. There's not the violent 'artificial lights AHHH!' eye death thing that happens when I open the tent on perceptibly cooler lights. I tucked it into my tent while starting my summer garden and I saw no stretch. Granted I keep my dwelling (a literal barn) fairly cool, 58-65f.

THE GENETICS: Once I had the BESTVA sponsorship, I reached out to Homegrown Cannabis Co.. The learn to grow videos they've got helped me a ton during my first and second outdoor grows and I love the personalities the company has collected (not sure if I can mention specific names?) I really didn't expect to get a reply but holy crap I got them! Not only did they send me some of their stuff to grow and show off....they sent me strains I've been drooling over for awhile!

All three seeds are from HGCC's Cultivars with Character collection which is a special selection curated by Steve Deangelo, Nikki and Swami, and Kyle Kushman. Since I like to be active and mentally engaged without anxiety and dark thoughts, I picked three special high-sativas:

Steve Deangelo's Dream Queen:

According to Mr. Deangelo this is Green Crack rebranded with a better name. I have very strong feelings regarding the aforementioned drug but I wont go into details. Needless to say I really appreciate that Steve gave what should be an amazing strain a better name.

It resulted from inbreeding Skunk #1 and is pure sativa

Yield Indoor: 400 - 500 g/m2
THC: 20%
CBD: 5%
Height: 25 - 30 cm
Flowering Time: 8-10 Weeks

Reported to help with :Anxiety Arthritis Cramps Depression Fatigue Migranes Stress
Effects: Creative Energetic Euphoric Focused Uplifted
Flavor: Citrus Earthy Lemon Tropical

Nikki and Swami's Maracuya:

This one is billed as an alternative to alcohol in social settings. As a former/recovered alcoholic I had to try this one. I am not good around large groups of people. So very awkward and lacking confidence. I'm hoping once the pubs and bars around here start opening up this'll be enough to keep me from temptation while still allowing me to grow fat on greasy bar food.

Maracuya is a hybrid but from my research the high sounds all sativa

Yield Indoor: 600 g/m2
THC: 20%
CBD: 0.3%
Height: 100 - 150 cm

Should help with: Anxiety Arthritis Cramps Depression Migranes Stress
Effects: Creative Happy Relaxed Sedative Talkative
Flavor: Citrus Earthy Herbal Spicy Sweet

Kyle's Sweet Island:

I'm pretty sure this is gonna be my go to when my depression starts going towards the darker areas in my brain. It just sounds...happy (plus it's flavor profile....unf <3) Another high sativa here!

Yield Indoor: 600 g/m2
THC: 19%
CBD: 0.2%
Height: 130 - 180 cm

Helps with: Anxiety Arthritis Fatigue Migranes Pain Stress
Effects: Energetic Euphoric Tingly Uplifted
Flavor: Grape Grapefruit Skunk Sweet Woody

_________________________________​

Starting from April 15th, 2021:

I changed up my sprouting regime a little and pre-pH'd my soak water (which ended up being well water because I suck at adulting and forgot to get distilled). I also did a 1pt 3% H2O2 to 9pts H20 soak this time. 12 hours in cups and then into baggies with paper towel.

3am last night Maracuya popped first. I know this because it's when a massive 18" steel vent section came off the wall and woke us up. GOOD TIMES. Nothing was damaged.

So stoked when this little packet arrived!

buffering and mixing the seed soak

12 hour soak in H2O / H2O2 begins

The next morning into the baggies they go!

JOY!

pHing my rockwool for an overnight bath

aaaand reusing the cups and baggies to make teeny humidity domes

Hi Copperrein :ciao:
I hear your journals are the place to be, so I’m jumping in on this one while it’s early!!

Do you know if Kyles Sweet Island is related to Island Sweet Skunk? I have a few of those beans in my possession that I am really looking forward to running, so I will be watching yours closely!!

Happy growing!

Hi Copperrein :ciao:
I hear your journals are the place to be, so I’m jumping in on this one while it’s early!!

Do you know if Kyles Sweet Island is related to Island Sweet Skunk? I have a few of those beans in my possession that I am really looking forward to running, so I will be watching yours closely!!

Happy growing!
This version is from crossing Sweet Pink Grapefruit and Skunk #1. Are you talking about the NL x Sweet Skunk strain?

Thank you and welcome aboard!

This version is from crossing Sweet Pink Grapefruit and Skunk #1. Are you talking about the NL x Sweet Skunk strain?
The beans I have here sound exact to yours, Pink Grapefruit and Skunk #1. I remember this was one of the first strains I tried in my younger years, and had been trying to track it down since then. I will definitely be watching with added interest now!!

OK FRIENDS...please double check my math:

My new system is 12 gallons + (depending on what's left in the buckets but whatever)...I'll start at 12 gallons and increase nutrients from there. Does this look like a fair feeding for the pictured seedlings? Do I really have to wait until the first full set of leaves before starting nutes? It makes no sense to me since seeds started in soil are fed as soon as their root can take in nutes.

Also any suggestions (looking at you @NuttyProfessor ) for an alternative to the rapid rooting stuff? Part of me wants to just say fuck it and get Excelurator and the other part is like 'bitch you know you can prolly make that, right?'. I'm a sucker for cool packaging.

ok...the numbers my chart wants me to run (assuming a 12 gallon system and seedlings):

The plants I want to start today in the new hydro system:

Aaaaaand in other news I was reading @BooWho2 's journal and there was talk about using folding laundry dry racks to hang and dry cannabis. I went to the zon in search of some for my harvests and found delicates bags. I got some so I could wash my hydro coco and perlite really well. They came in packs of two so the other one is now a filter bag for my pump!

And another shot of my new system because I freaking am tickled pink I made it myself

I freaking am tickled pink I made it myself
Sweet. I would be privileged to ride along on this venture.
Could you let me know what the medium is your using in the pots?

Sweet. I would be privileged to ride along on this venture.
Could you let me know what the medium is your using in the pots?
:tommy: Awesome! I'm running coco and perlite in these weird mini growbag things I found. All that is in 6" net pots.

So I went ahead and 'planted' them. All three had 3/4" of taproot hanging down from the rockwool. There's a point to the Rapid rooter stuff.

After adding the following nutrients I adjusted pH to 6.2 using citric acid.
Final EC is 1.329. Going by my last grow using the same water I should be ok.

GH FloraTrio:

Gro: 30ml/12 gallons
Micro: 30ml/12 gallons
FloraBlend: 3Tbsp/12 gallons
Rapid Start: 2.5 tsp/12 gallons
CalMag: 24ml/12 gallons

I swapped FloraBloom for FloraBlend since I am out of bloom.

My flood timer is set to spray for 3 seconds every 20 minutes. This is all guesstimation on my part since I've never grown like this before.

I didn't take into consideration the pH and volume of water that stays in the system so pH crawled back up to 6.7 over night. I've re-buffered back down to 5.6-5.8 range in the expectation the pH will rise slightly....hopefully settling at 5.8-6.0.

The whole system with the BESTVA P1000F full power, inkbird sensor, 4" vivosun exhaust fan, little vivosun pump (set to pump for 3 seconds every 45 minutes), and air pump (for the solution bubbler) is only pulling 134 watts. I'm really happy so far with the efficiency

Tagging @Weaselcracker because your name popped up in an old post regarding growing in coco:

My pH isn't stabilizing. I was trying to use citric acid as a pH down, thinking no phosphorous might be better but alas I'm starting to wonder if not all acids are created equal?

I've put about 50g of citric acid into my system (now sitting at 14+gallons thanks to diluting the acid prior to adding into the system) and the pH will go down and stay stabile for two or three cycles of my system (1.5 to 2.25 hours) and then start rising again. Yesterday afternoon I adjusted the pH down to 5.5 and by 10p it was back up around 6.5.

Adjusted back down to 6 before going to bed. It was at 7 this morning. I like micromanaging my grows but this is a little nutzo.

Is this just coco? I rinsed my media incredibly well multiple times. If this is coco I can rinse my babies and just go perlite. Is it perlite? There's another new variable. Dammit.

I've also found some vague hints on other forums that citric acid isn't the most stable of acids. Doesn't an acid just come into a system, rip or forcefully give ions until depleted, and then the solution is just sitting at that pH if the system it's in has no other inputs/withdrawals?

How are there no chemistry teachers on here? I'm pretty damn sure my high school chem teacher was smoking the weed my ceramics instructor grew.

Once I'm functional I may flush the entire system and start over with phosphoric acid just so I'm not working with multiple variables while trying to troubleshoot this.

Ok, using citric phosphoric acid I adjusted back down to 5.5 with the expectation of a .3 -.5 increase as the system cycles.

Holy crap the lack of immediate and definite control is wreaking havoc with my OCD.
Oh I get it!

And no not all acids work as well for ph'ing. There was a great discussion on it in PK's journal awhile back (I'll see if I can dig it up).

Edit- so my memory is off a bit- I remembered it for wrong reason, however somehow I think you're going to find it interesting and useful!

Here's the link:
Post in thread 'PK Perpetual Grow Journal 2020' PK Perpetual Grow Journal 2020

Back
Top Bottom