Cops Kill Father-to-Be in Botched Marijuana Raid

Drug Raids: Las Vegas Narc Serving Marijuana Search Warrant Kills Father-to-Be In His Own Bathroom
A 21-year-old father-to-be was killed last Friday night by a Las Vegas Police Department narcotics officer serving a search warrant for marijuana. Trevon Cole was shot once in the bathroom of his apartment after he made what police described as "a furtive movement."

Police have said Cole was not armed. Police said Monday they recovered an unspecified amount of marijuana and a set of digital scales. A person identifying herself as Cole's fiancée, Sequoia Pearce, in the comments section in the article linked to above said no drugs were found.

Pearce, who is nine months pregnant, shared the apartment with Cole and was present during the raid. "I was coming out, and they told me to get on the floor. I heard a gunshot and was trying to see what was happening and where they had shot him," Pearce told KTNV-TV.

According to police, they arrived at about 9 p.m. Friday evening at the Mirabella Apartments on East Bonanza Road, and detectives knocked and announced their presence. Receiving no response, detectives knocked the door down and entered the apartment. They found Pearce hiding in a bedroom closet and took her into custody. They then tried to enter a bathroom where Cole was hiding. He made "a furtive movement" toward a detective, who fired a single shot, killing Cole.

"It was during the course of a warrant and as you all know, narcotics warrants are all high-risk warrants," Capt. Patrick Neville of Metro's Robbery-Homicide Bureau said Friday night.

But a person identifying himself as Pearce's brother, who said he had spoken with his sister, had a different version of events: "The police bust in the door, with guns drawn to my little sister and her now deceased boyfriend," he wrote. "My sister is 8 ½ months pregnant, two weeks until the due date. But they bust in the door, irritated they didn't find any weapons or drugs, drag this young man into the restroom to interrogate him and two minutes later my sister hears a shot. They shot him with a shotgun, no weapon. For what? My sister is a baby, this young man is a baby, now my sister is at his house telling his mom her son is dead, and he is barely 21."

Pearce herself told the Las Vegas Review-Journal Monday that police forced her to kneel at gunpoint in the bedroom and that she could see Cole in the bathroom from the reflection of a mirror. According to Cole, police ordered Cole to get on the ground, he raised his hands and said "Alright, alright," and a shot rang out.

According to Pearce and family members, Cole had no criminal record, had achieved an Associate of Arts degree, and was working as an insurance adjustor while working on a political science degree at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. He was not a drug dealer, Pearce said.

"Trevon was a recreational smoker. He smoked weed, marijuana. That's what he did," she told KTNV-TV. "They didn't have to kill him. We were supposed to get married next year, plan a black and white affair," she said. "He was all I ever knew, we were gonna make it."

LVPD Monday identified the police shooter as narcotics detective Bryan Yant, a 10-year veteran of the force. This is the third time Yant has controversially used his police firearm. In 2002, he shot and killed a robbery suspect, claiming the suspect, who was on the ground, aimed a weapon at him. But although the suspect's gun was found 35 feet away, a jury took only half an hour to find the shooting justified.

The following year, he shot and wounded a man armed with a knife and a baseball ball who had been hired to kill a dog that had killed another neighborhood dog. Yants claimed the man attacked him and that he mistook the bat for a shotgun, but the man said he was running away from Yants when Yants fired repeatedly, striking him once in the hip. Because there was no death in that case, no inquest was held, but the department's use of force board exonerated Yants.

Yants is on paid administrative leave while the department investigates. The family has hired an attorney to pursue a civil action. And another American has apparently been killed for no good reason in the name of the war on drugs.

"Narcotics warrants are high risk warrants," said Capt. Neville. The question is for whom, and the answer is obvious: The people on the receiving end of them. The police? Not so much, as we have shown in our annual surveys of police casualties in the drug war.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: StoptheDrugWar.org
Author: Phillip Smith
Copyright: 2010 StoptheDrugWar.org

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

It wasn't "cops" that killed that poor man (as the title proclaims), it was one detective in particular, and his name is Bryon Yant. It's time for Bryon's come-uppance. This guy should be tried for murder like anybody else that isn't law enforcement. He's no more than the rest of us (and considerably lower, IMHO) and is guilty of nothing less than cold-blooded murder. Instead, the most that his survivors (and his unborn child) can expect is blood-money in a civil suit. Seems we've returned to the age of feudalism, where none but nobility receive any sort of real justice....

(too pissed to put it to words)

I don't know about you all but I am Freaking Sick and Freaking Tired of reading stories such as this.When did we become a police state??? I cannot put into words my complete and utter disgust as to what (we the people) have let this country to become.
We need to give this country a green revolution.All the Police agencies all think that they "ARE" the law. It is high time that we start treating them like they are normal citizens and start publicly prosecuting them,if there cohorts(D.A's Prosecutors,Police boards)won't, then we need to start dragging these M-Fer's into the street for a little Public prosecution. After all they have No qualms about knocking Your doors down and shooting you"Accidentally"in the back,head whatever they feel like doing...............

If there are any Police here You sir are a Piece of Excrement and you should be looking for a new source of revenue, as we Nonviolent citizens are sick and tired of all your BULLSHIT..
I know that you don't like Med. Marijuana. Too freaking bad !!!!!
"We the People" have spoken ! Now shut your mouth and do your job!!! You are not the "law"just an agent of it!!!
What are all the People who have jobs in the Industrial Criminal Organizations(D.E.A, Narc units, Swat, Gestapo, S.S.,Prosecutors,Judges,Probation Officers, Prison Guards,Regular everyday cops) going to do when we Finally Legalize All drugs???

Now, I don't care for any Mind altering drugs except for Cannabis and Psilocybin, But the only way to end this attack on Our citizenry is to legalize all drugs, not just our beloved plant. Only then will we finally be able to trust our supposed protectors(police,gov's)and not fear for your life every time you see a cop!!!!
I Like a few others here served our country in the military and love the place of my birth,However this is not the country(land of the FREE, home of the Brave)that we envisioned it becoming. More like Germany between 1911-1945. Get my point?
To all you police reading this( yes we know you are here) We as citizens do not hate you,maybe despise is a better word. I have never harmed a soul in this world and plan never to, so Why Are Your Organizations So EVIL??? that you kick doors in in the middle of the night arrest,detain and possibly end the life of a Non-Violent pot smoker???

Think about this. How many times have you been accosted(attacked for you non-literate types) by a pot smoker????
Now ask yourself the same question about a drunk???
See my problem with drugs being Illegal?? If not, you need some serious eye opening!!!

I hate to rant about this but, We need to stand up for our Peace Loving Brothers and Sisters, not cower and hide from these Evil Organizations that murder with impunity.

Just my 2 cents. Peace and love from the mitten
:peacetwo::Rasta:

You know nothing will happen to this good ol' boy... he is in the terrorist club with a get out of jail free card.

Perhaps. But making this story go viral on the net will do a lot to activate the right channels to get his "get out of jail free card" revoked. There's nothing more dangerous to the entity that employs him than intense scrutiny and public outrage--that HE caused. They'll hang him out to dry before they'll go down with him.

Detective in Shooting: Not the First Time

LAS VEGAS (AP) - A detective who fatally shot a 21-year-old man
while serving a search warrant in a marijuana investigation was
cleared in at least two previous shootings during his 10-year Las
Vegas police career, records show.

Officer Bryan Yant, 34, was on paid leave Tuesday pending a
departmental review and a Clark County coroner's inquest of the
Friday night slaying of Trevon Cole in the bathroom of a
one-bedroom apartment.
Click here to find out more!

Police have said Cole made a "furtive movement" before Yant
shot him. Authorities have not said he was armed.

Cole's pregnant girlfriend, Sequioa Pearce, 20, told the Las
Vegas Review-Journal that Cole made no movements toward officers,
did not have anything in his hands and did not own a weapon.

Pearce said she was being held at gunpoint by another officer in
the bedroom, and she could see Cole putting his hands up before he
was shot in the face.

"I just feel like they stole everything from me," said Pearce,
who was due to deliver the couple's daughter on Tuesday.

Deputy Police Chief Joseph Lombardo said officers were serving a
warrant in an investigation after undercover officers bought
marijuana from Cole three times. Lombardo oversees the police
department narcotics section.

Police say officers forced their way into the apartment after no
one responded to knocks.

A search warrant listing items seized included an unspecified
amount of marijuana and digital scales. It did not list a weapon.

Pearce said she and Cole didn't answer knocks because she
thought it was her mother, whom she believed was angry with her.

Pearce said police found her in the closet and Cole in the
bathroom. She said that after the shot was fired, everyone in the
apartment froze for a moment before she was whisked outside.

Cole's family and their lawyer, Andre Lagomarsino, said Cole had a criminal record.

Records show that Yant was cleared in a November 2001 shooting
of a 30-year-old robbery suspect who Yant said reached for a
dropped gun after falling on the ground.

Richard Travis Brown was shot six times. Yant testified he fired
at least three times as Brown ran and allegedly pointed a
snub-nosed .22-caliber revolver over his shoulder after a 3 a.m.
convenience store robbery. Yant testified he fired at least three
more times after Brown fell to the ground.

Crime scene analysts said the gun was retrieved 35 feet away
from where Brown was found. The jury took half an hour to find the
shooting justified.

A departmental review also cleared Yant of wounding a
26-year-old suspected prowler in the hip after he was accused of
wielding a butcher knife and an aluminum baseball bat when he was
confronted in an upscale northwest Las Vegas neighborhood in
December 2003.

Detective in Shooting: Not the First Time

I feel revolted when I read this. Both of the earlier instances involving Yantz makes me sick, but this...

I wish we could all stand up. I wish that we could all share whatever burden there is involving making a stand now, rather than allowing this pain to be revisited over and over again.

Why is weed illegal? Because its bad for you. Why is it bad for you? Because of the ridiculous consequences made by a third party, the government. How many lives have been lost to the drug war (dead, destroyed)? How many of those fucking lives were taken from the plant itself... HOW MANY BY THE GOVERNMENT?! All.

Why do we let this continue. The man had a bright future, but oh no, he smokes weed, thus he is evil. How DARE he hurt nobody. He should learn from the government and be evil like them. Be meaningless, look only for profit, and continue to destroy lives. Then maybe the two would of had something in common and they could of been buddies.

Evil of pot is like a man walking on the sidewalk. Evil of the government is like a drunk driver going 40 over the speed limit. Difference is, if the drunk driver crashes, he gets in another car, where the man on the sidewalk gets run over.

Any government which knowings harms its people gives up ALL right to govern. I feel that it has gotten to a point where we the people must bear arms against those who run our country, for the sake of the damn people! If they want to throw my ass in jail, I will give them a reason.

EDIT: Go here Home and let them know how you feel, lets try to get this story out there.

I'm going out tomorrow collecting signatures thru MassCann. Go to my last journal entry (the Satori grow journal) to see the printout i'm handing out while i get signatures. Make one up yourselves,
add this one, too - Cannabis and the Brain: A User's Guide - NORML re neuroregeneration.

You know that if it was more than a couple grams the weight wouldn't be unspecified.

Something is going very very wrong with our police forces.

Boycott Vegas. This is a town that was founded for and financed by vice, and yet it has some of the harshest Marijuana laws in the country. Vegas has no problem promoting prostitution, gambling, mafia romanticism, and 5 dollar cups of coffee, but if your vice happens to involve something they can’t control then you get shot in the face with a shotgun.

Don’t spend money in a city or state that supports this kind of behavior. Nevada is a state that can hardly afford to loose any more tourism as it is.

We had a cop like that where I live. Pulled a gun on an old meals on wheels guy. They just send them on to the next cop shop. They do stick together. My son in law is a cop and is living in my house now with my daughter and grandkid, waiting to get in there new house. I'm trying to mellow him but it is an up hill battle. When I do my MMJ he don't say crap, I go to the bathroom in the basement and come out medicated. If he don't like it kiss my ass and get the hell out. He does tell me that the older cops are the worst and most younger ones are more humane. Get the real bad guys and leave these people alone. To kill a man for marijuana is criminal. I hope this bastard gets what he deserves, which is the same treatment he gave this man, seriously had it with these bastards. LZ 13

It is common practice for departments to let an officer quit instead of firing them.

It's the Muni Shuffle ie the Municipal Shuffle of just moving to another police dept.

This is a VERY big problem with the US police forces that MUST be changed, if one is going to be fired from being a police officer they should not be made to EASILY get another police job else where while not being held responsible like the whole populace, that is selective policing and is Morally Wrong.

Back
Top Bottom