Cottage 420's Organic Perpetual Indoor Garden

re: Cottage 420's 2015 Organic Grow With LOS & Kristalica - Sleestack x Skunk1

I actually originally bought an inoculant that had trichoderma included, intending to add it to the soil before I planted, only to discover that the trichoderma eat the glomus. I tossed that in the trash and bought new. I wanted my girls to have the best chance I could give them, and that included the timely establishment of a healthy and vigorous myco community. Growing autos meant shorter life spans and the likelihood that this grow wouldn't get the benefit from the myco that I intended.

They sell products like Great White because it's easier for the manufacturer. They don't tell you it might be less effective than they let on. The fact is, Great White has enough glomus that eventually they win out, but they have to struggle against the onslaught of the trichoderma before they have enough numbers to overcome.

I need to get some of that Kashi for my next grow. I think I'll make it a priority for next month's hobby budget.

Hey there CC - AWESOME link there my friend. I'm learning and learning more and more. The mycelium thing I know works for cannabis - I've grown in all mushroom soil in years past with crazy result too. Mushrooms are all 100% organic too just in case anyone wonders about that - the growers cannot use anything but organic methods to grow mushrooms. I know that for sure I used to live in the mushroom capital of the world and know quite a few growers. I also hear you on the Great White - I've not used it again at all this grow. Right now I'm on my 3rd tea, it's in the pot right now bubbling. I documented the 2nd tea. The first tea was basically Alfalfa and compost no sugars (BSM), 2nd tea was the kitchen sink with BSM, this third tea is back to basics with Alfalfa a pinch of neem seed meal compost of course and some Buffalo loam, thats it no sugars at all this time. It's been bubbling for about 24hrs and I only made a small batch that I will be watering down 50/50 with RO water before feeding to the girls. Right now they are growing pretty fast the soil is working and has I'm pretty sure all the girls need for VEG. What I will do is transplant them all into larger containers a week before switching to flower then start looking for males to chop up. Any males or hermies that show up early in flower go to the compost bin ASAP.

Update here with pics

Here's the new compost tea going:

WP_20150219_001.jpg

Next up are pics of the girls - page back they've gotten pretty fat and happy in the last few weeks. They are growing fast.

WP_20150219_006.jpg
WP_20150219_0051.jpg
WP_20150219_0041.jpg
WP_20150219_002.jpg
WP_20150219_002.jpg
WP_20150217_011_1_.jpg
WP_20150217_012.jpg

Now for some fun, Here's the Kashi as a topping on my Coleus plants. Notice the leaves there on the soil I put a few pieces of cabbage leaves in there to see what happens to them, they start to get eaten by the mycelium from the Kashi and I mean FAST those were leaves fresh 3 days ago. Also notice the tiny seedlings/weeds growing there so the Kashi can live with seedlings maybe my seed that died just wan't going to make it ....

Pic of the leaves and the seedling (weeds)

WP_20150219_009.jpg

pretty cool reminds me of the forests in Oregon going over the mtns to hwy 5 along the cost. X files green

WP_20150219_007.jpg

Pic of the plants - they look great - LOS soil, rock dust and Kashi and of course they get a little tea too! I tried to kill these with too much rock dust and wow didn't happen so I started with the rock dust as a topping on my girls so yeah.. should be OK good to go.

WP_20150219_011.jpg

Mycelium there on the right side in the middle of the pic, it's all over but you can see it best there about 2 o'clock i take crappy pics. I will start to use my camera next round.

WP_20150219_010.jpg

They obviously like your touch Bob.

quick question...i'm not that familiar with Kashi. What type of mycelium does it grow?

Hey there CC - thats a good question!! I looked around and when I start to dig into the types of mycelium I'm not finding any info. It makes sense that there are different species just like plants and you can see that it the different types of fruits and flowers that are produced. Id wager too that there are mycelium that live for 100's of years in the forests and never fruit or fruit VERY VERY seldom. I've studied mycelium and know they are the building blocks of life for sure and we can probably thank them for the soil on top of this rock we spin around on but I've not dug deep into the different species and which are beneficial or most beneficial to cannabis. I bet someone is working on a thesis now in this regard at least I hope so. yes?

From what I've gathered the Gro-Kashi "brand" is basically a pro biotic for plant life similar to the pro-biotic we can ingest for the life in out guts - which really isn't mycelium per se, it's beneficial bacteria.. I do know that mycelium and bacteria grow hand in hand with plants in a symbiotic relationship. Kinda takes all 3 to make the world turn there.... all that said - no expert here I went to school for engineering and art so did my best to steer clear of biology but I've been studying biology a lot as an adult doing organic gardening for the last 35 years or so, putting biology to practical application if you will.

Next up on the list of biology topics is sprouts. Soil Girl and SweetSue turned me on to that and I'm really interested in sprouts as a soil drench. There's sooo much to learn and it's REALLY cool to interact with knowledgeable folks that are willing to share experiences. The vibe here on 420mag is great very positive and with everyone helping everyone else and supporting our grows. Mighty fine, eh?

Now a small update for this run I've got going. We are getting a hammering with snow, just finished X-country skiing with my better half in the dark while it is snowing ... wow saw some deer they were watching us and a fox too stalking the Canadian Geese, cant wait to listen for the mating calls of the bitch fox - they get REALLY crazy horny. They down a few geese and it's off to the races to reproduce. Google fox mating calls ..... then put yourself in the woods at night in 10" of snow. WOW... very very surreal.

Oh update... with the snow situation I've got to install some ventilation, the girls are getting BIG fast and starting to skunk up the place again. Sheesh. It's all good, I'm glad I like the smell. I'm in stealth in the attic so its not permeating the rest of the house YET, but it wont be long. I've got all the materials I need to install some serious ventilation so that's on the agenda tomorrow. I've got some seeds germinating and I have another 4' x 8 ' tent I'm going to set up so I can have a perpetual grow going. I'm going to get some more seeds started as well.
For the current ladies I'm going to transplant at least 2 of them to their final 6 gal pots. These girls are growing very very fast so I'm moving up my transplant schedule and maybe move the larger ladies into the grow tent and start 12/12 in the near future. The current round started JAN 1 - so we are getting close to 60 days - I like to count from when I see green but the Kristalica germinated in a few days and some of the plants will be ready for flowering stage here in a week or so, time to get ready for the fun.

Cheers

How I read with envy the journals of those of you that have space to do a decent indoor garden. (Sigh) It all sounds amazing bobrown.

I'm sitting here completely immersed in the perfumes from the girls, a mere three feet to my right and filling the room with sweetness now that the lights are off. One of my favorite times of the day. We're third floor (the top floor) with tolerant family members in the apartments beside and below, so no problem with the smell. And I love it. It smells like normal.

I want to try that Kashi mix to see how quickly it will break down the mulch. Think of all the biomass we could incorporate into the soil like this. Top dressings just gobbled away. I'm enamored with the idea of finding the fog of mycelium...and worms wriggling away...and the occasional mushroom sprouting...and maybe get some clover to bloom...... ahhh, I got lost there. :laughtwo::green_heart:

I'm falling in love with no-till organics. :love:

Gro-Kashi seems like a good product...I'm just kind of curious as to what is in the product. They seem to be pushing the idea of hyphae busting from the soil, but no specific mention of what would cause that. From the reading that I have done elsewhere, Kashi is very much a fungal inoculant as it is a bacterial inoculant. That isn't a problem...but the reason I am asking is because over at Sue's journal she mentioned you had found that mycelium eating seedlings could be avoided by adding kashi. I am curious as to how that works exactly. Could I just forgo buying glomus propagate for Kashi?

Gro-Kashi seems very promising, but its branded as a sort of miracle amendment, which makes me a bit weary - maybe unnecessarily so. Still, I have questions. I'm just sort of probing the topic I guess.

Actually it was the application of kashi as a top dressing too early in the plant's life that caused the problem, or so I thought he was explaining. Bob could explain the kashi better than I.

Actually it was the application of kashi as a top dressing too early in the plant's life that caused the problem, or so I thought he was explaining. Bob could explain the kashi better than I.

OOoh. I'm sorry. That makes alot more sense now. You can see how I was confused how adding more mycorrhizae/bacteria amendments would help with that problem.

Carry on fine people, carry on.

Hey hey - well I think it was just a bum seedling... sprouted then ka-put. If you look at the pics of our Coleus (btw psychedelic properties there from the leaves!!) there are very tiny seedlings sprouting and they started after I amended with the Kashi. The Gro-Kashi are the dregs of Kvass which I "think" is made from rye bread that is fermented. With the Gro-kashi they take the seeds cases (from the rye aka bran) and ferment them then dry them and then compost and use the natural yeast that is present in the air, same as how they brew Belgian Ales. Package and sell. You water the Kashi and boom we have a wild breakdown of soil and organics happening right there - you can watch it grow and consume plant materials. I've added the Kashi to my plants and have added in leaves that we all trim off and I can watch the biology in action. It's crazy how fast it happens. We will see. I've been reading about the folks that have done this and the flavors, yield and potency all increasing... I tried it with the Coleus and saw an immediate improvement in growth and color and watched the soil come alive ... I had to try it with cannabis.

No expert - I tripped and fell into the idea of it all and it makes a lot of sense. I've brewed my own beer Belgian style so I got the idea right away - wild yeast and wild bacteria they work in harmony to create a most tasty brew... I think it will work for cannabis too. All sustainable too which is the real benefit, no-till, no chems just simple ACT in an LOS soil top with your favorite herbs and spices and bran ... kinda sounds like dinner!@!

I'm getting into it now. Just got a 4x8 tent that I'm going to set up in the other attic room so I can have one grow going to flower in a few more weeks and I just started about 6 more seeds for the next round so that will be 6 weeks behind the current grow.

Today is a great day - Alaska goes wild with Cannabis and same with Washington DC where u can grow your own and decriminalized!! Woohoo cant wait till 2016, it will be legal in a bunch more states, finally. Lets see what Congress does about DC that's going to be fun to watch - my bet is congress will actually DO SOMETHING and it will be negative is my bet but it will be too little too late. cha-cha-cha-cha yeah u right. I'm sooo stoked. The 420 community should be having a party tonight, I know I will be.

I have a few friends at work that use cannabis and they both gave me super kinds buds today to try/taste/test.... totally outta the blue and separately. Crazy crazy daze! I have friends... wow!

In Alaska I think there just may be an Alaska Green Rush like the old gold rush but canna, Yeah buddy!

Anyways I'm soooo excited to try some kind bud, kick back with my better half and enjoy a beautiful evening. Tomorrow I will get some pics up of my little girls, they are getting bigger, with an update.

Cheers

Is the kashi kind of like vermicompost in appearance?

Are you saying you are going to try and use your own fermented bran in a tea?

Oh ya, and two representatives from CO are pushing another Federal bill to remove Cannabis from the list of Schedule 1 substances and to allow states to regulate as they please - making it Federally legal.

Is the kashi kind of like vermicompost in appearance?

Are you saying you are going to try and use your own fermented bran in a tea?

Oh ya, and two representatives from CO are pushing another Federal bill to remove Cannabis from the list of Schedule 1 substances and to allow states to regulate as they please - making it Federally legal.

It can't happen soon enough.

What Sweetsue said:)

Happy Daze Bob:)....just came by to give you a big ol hug my friend:)......that kashi sounds like some pretty cool stuff......the more i pick up about this LOS from you and SoilGirl and Sweetsue the more interested i get......just hydro is much easier to keep stealthy for me where we live, but the idea of the soil doing its thing with minimal maintenance over the course of a grow and reusable.....sounds cool.....yep....like Sweetsue said......It cant happen soon enough.......at least they could pass it for medical use here:/
I hope you and yours have a great evening with some of the kindest bud you can test:)

Hey there GD and all - here's a short update... with pics of the Kashi on top of my LOS soil I have growing in a large bin. Getting ready for transplanting the girls into the final containers. In living soil I can just pull the plant and reuse the same pot just amend/top dress and ACT next round. Thats my goal. Right now I dont have enough large pots with soil so I've got to grow some more soil. So that's whats in the bin some soil with compost EWC a bunch of amendments (why I need to cook it some) and water, then I sprinkle the Kashi on top cover and let it go. You can see in the pics that there's mycelium growing on top with the Kashi - little white hairy stuff all over the place.

I added in about a tablespoon of great white about a month ago too which actually contains the proper mycos for cannabis.

The next pics are the girls getting their grow thing going ... notice the clay pot girls are smaller?? Not sure why that is maybe water evaporates faster in the clay pots than the plastic pots, and those clay pot girls maybe are rootbound or just thirsty!!

WP_20150227_0011.jpg
WP_20150227_004.jpg
WP_20150227_002.jpg
WP_20150227_005.jpg
WP_20150227_008.jpg
WP_20150227_007.jpg
WP_20150227_0061.jpg

I was transplanting one of the clay pot girls yesterday. This one was sitting in a dish but the clay pot didn't sit flat it was suspended above the soup dish and water was in the btm of the dish so the roots found the water reservoir and pretty white roots found their way into the dish. Healthy roots there eh?

Also I did my first SST - sprouted seed tea. I did organic pop corn non-gmo too. Yeah took a pretty long time for the corn to sprout. They really didnt start sprouting until I moved them from a large pot into my new sprouting containers I bought from Amazon. They work great, stack the containers filled with seeds and pour a cup of water into the top dish and the water very slowly runs down thru the trays and collects in the btm and you toss that water out and wait for the sprouts. Once I put the corn into the sprouting dishes I had sprouts overnight. With the corn sprouts I took half of them and put the sprouts into a food processor and ground them. What happens is the roots get chopped off the corn and the corn shell is left as a sort of mash (probably good for making liquor), I take that mixture that was ground in the processor and pour it thru a screen into 3 gallons of RO water. What I get is a milky white liquid mixture and take that up to the ladies and everyone gets a watering with the Sprouted Seed Tea or SST!!

Reps to Soil Girl, Sweet Sue and CO for sharing the SST thing with everyone. Next up on the SST menu is another watering with the rest of the corn sprouts (I only used half of what I grew this round) and I have 2 dishes of Alfalfa sprouts going for the next round of SST. I also have an ACT going right now so I will be alternating waterings with SST then ACT then SST then plain RO water. I hope I'm not overdoing it but the girls are looking pretty happy and getting big. Here's some pics of the SST and sprouts and the sprouting container.

The corn sprouts are ready to be put into the processor, I will take pics of that process next. Basically the corn sprouts are ready when the sprout is the same length as the corn seed which most are at least that long - it's time to grind them up.

WP_20150301_004.jpg
WP_20150301_002.jpg
WP_20150301_001.jpg

Here's one of the clay pot girls with the roots going out the btm into the water res - pretty white healthy roots there.

WP_20150228_0011.jpg
WP_20150227_007.jpg

Bobrown, have you tried making an enzyme tea with malted barley grain? All you have to do is grind, bubble for 4-24 hours, strain and drench (I add aloe vera juice, reconstituted kelp meal and fulvic acid before applying). It's a power-packed additive that's hard to match.

That Kashi meal - gotta get me some. Wow!

Bobrown, have you tried making an enzyme tea with malted barley grain? All you have to do is grind, bubble for 4-24 hours, strain and drench (I add aloe vera juice, reconstituted kelp meal and fulvic acid before applying). It's a power-packed additive that's hard to match.

Its getting hard to narrow down the amendments I want...almost as stressful as picking the next strains.

Its getting hard to narrow down the amendments I want...almost as stressful as picking the next strains.

Hey there CC - Decisions can be tough, what I do is just read read read... then use some common sense to boil all the potentials down and take that leap of faith in my knowledge and understanding. I've got a few years of organic growing behind me so it's not too hard. The cool thing this year in my out door garden, I'm going to use more of what I've learned with growing Cannabis organically indoors and take it outside. Take another step up....

It's a learning curve on a round ball, use the love and knowledge you gain thru interaction with others and let that all guide in your decision making. I find it helps me, and understand even if you fail you learn and it makes you stronger and smarter for the next time. Always remember too that we've got it pretty good if what we worry about is keeping our girls alive. There are folks suffering un-nessesarily that could benefit from our hard work. I think organic is the way to go, not just for patients but also for anyone that wants to enjoy cannabis.

Hey there SweetSue - Barley is on my list. I just finished a small batch of Alfalfa Sprouts that I will be giving the girls tomorrow and also have another small batch of Organic Wheat Grass berries going for Wednesday along with another ACT. I'm pretty much going SST - ACT - SST/ACT - SST and so on. I'm going to order some organic barley so I can get a nice good mix going for sprouts for the girls and me too! I've been reading the Coots guy... he's been great at sharing his experience and EXTREMELY knowledgeable. I feel blessed that I've found this place and all the kind people here ... I used to brew beer quite a bit so I'm pretty familiar with the barley - the dregs from after the sprouting process are extremely beneficial as well don't throw any of that stuff out other than into the compost bin - worms probably love it too but it might need a little composting first.

Did you see the pic of my soil bin with that Kashi in there... wooa that is freaking amazing. My girls are going wild. I'm about to do a major transplant heading for the flower room with all of that Kashi infused soil.

I hope I have a decent harvest. I feel I got lucky last run... Oh and did I say I hate fungus gnats. They are in my compost from outside.... I've got them under control but not gone yet.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom