Cottage 420's Organic Perpetual Indoor Garden

That Dolato is looking fire!

Those colors on the PMB though, wow!

So Bob... I figured out what's up with my plants, why the veg ones look so much better. Long story short, I'm an idiot, and didn't remember running out of the recycled stuff from last harvest ( the stuff I had test numbers for ) and had to whip up new stuff on the spot for the bigger pots ( the ones that aren't doing so great ). So mystery solved. Just wanted to share since you've been trying to help me out with it.

Two biggest differences are not as much EWC in two of the pots, and too much of my original super-hot mix in the ratio in the other pots.

In my never ending search for compost in the north I came across this a couple times now;

Hop Compost | Home

Check this out....2.5-0.6-1.5, 76% OM,41% Moisture & they call this a 'craft compost'

Read a few newspaper articles about this guy and his company and to me anyway it seems pretty neat....basically this entrepreneur was 18 and his family dog gets sick eating some conventional lawn fertilizer, so he decided he wanted to make something safe...years later here we are, he's expanded and owns right to use this 'technology' in most major cities across Canada and even 4 major ones in the US

Here's some quotes from one of the newspaper articles....one about the product itself;
Controlling ingredient sources with its collection service, Hop places a unique emphasis on its product. Each bin it collects is labeled for its source and hand-sorted for ideal ingredient pairings. Batches are then prepared in loads 98% smaller than the industry standard, so as to never change the technology's microbe culture by more than 0.4%. Its technology tracks CO2 respiration, acidity, and heat every second, and initiates
automated responses every minute to perfect the active composting environment.

Having pioneered these standards for craft compost, Hop is by Ontario lab standards the most nutrient-rich compost in Canada, and has the highest organic matter content of any tested compost of which Hop is aware. It's accomplished a perfect zero lab score for pesticide and herbicide traces, and is 2000-times cleaner than the OMRI organic standard for bifenthrin residue. Hop's product has been picked up by retailers such as Whole Foods and Homestead Junction, tapping into a growing movement for organic gardening. Hop will sell the majority of its product to local farms that supply the restaurants from which Hop collects its waste.

and here's a quote on the actual compost process itself;
Hop's facility uses patented indoor technology that seals the composting process within computerized vessels. It's so finely tuned, composting takes just 11 days instead of 6 months. Using live data for 24/7 process control, Hop technology has been proven to run free of odor, methane, and leachate for urban zoning.

The company has already been awarded the Quest Climate Grant for saving over 3,300,000 pounds of emissions in Canada, and believes its unique urban facility can eliminate up to 84% of emissions from compostable waste hauling in Vancouver.

I don't know nearly enough about composting to understand if the is all just smoke screen and hype, or if it is indeed as good as the claims. The skeptic in me says where's the negative reviews, at least 1 person always has something negative to say about something, but all the articles I've come across are positive so far.....so here I ask people who have a better understanding then I :Namaste:

Great harvest Bob. Looks a lot like perfect to me too.

DSC_0048_2_3.JPG

Spot on thanks for the conversion LH - I went to the beer brewing crowd to confirm... and confirmed.

Harvested a perfect plant today... man that was tough.

Dolato #1 - pic before flop. She just decided that it was too hard to keep those big beautiful buds standing tall and many of the side branches flopped last night.

I gotta say this was one easy plant to grow.. her stall mate beside her had a slight mite outbreak and there was no a single issue with this plant. Fast finish too. I had to crawl back in there and move plants to get to her for harvest. I was covered in sticky, smelled like dank , thought I was in heaven there for a sec. Most of the large fans were done and falling off. Hung on the hook and took the rest off and on to the drying line she's there... hefty little biddy too. Going to get a nice haul. Buffalato #1 there in the green on the left..

Pre-flop pic:

DSC_0026_2_10.JPG

Dolato #1 - Side cola ... plump & sticky calyx - maybe the stickiest plant I've ever dealt with.. on par with Labyrinth.

DSC_0048_2_3.JPG

Dolato #1 - side cola bud shot:

DSC_0042_2_2.JPG

Where's your father ... Luke! .. sluuuurrrrp.

DSC_0042_3_.JPG

PMB #1 - thinking she's a poly-ploid.

DSC_0021133.JPG

PMB #1 again

DSC_0027_2_11.JPG

Buffalato #1 - close up under skirt buddage.. starting to see some promise here. VERY fast flowering like Dolato and Labyrinth.

DSC_0033_2_8.JPG

PMB #2 - frost pic

DSC_0016_2_7.JPG

PMB #2 - nug

DSC_0028_2_5.JPG

PMB #2 - Twin nuggs

DSC_0023_2_10.JPG

PMB #2 - More nuggers

DSC_0027_2_10.JPG

PMB #2 - More nuggers closer upper!

DSC_0019_2_11.JPG

Hoisting up a cheery glass to :420:

Cheers!

Awesome job that looks like a great hearty smoke bud.

Drive by ..

That's where my questioning comes in.....HopCompost didn't design the system that does this....they imported it from New Zealand...this is from the designers site;
Global Composting Solutions Ltd (HotRot) is a New Zealand-based business providing waste treatment solutions for customers with difficult organic waste streams. HotRot designs, builds, installs and commissions integrated Organic Waste Treatment Plants around the proprietary HotRot Technology

So HopCompost negotiated exclusive rights to use this 'tech' in most major Canadian cities and 4 major US ones....and the materials they use are all from high end Restaurants/food companies who get screened prior to being allowed to participate in the program

In my never ending search for compost in the north I came across this a couple times now;

Hop Compost | Home

I don't know nearly enough about composting to understand if the is all just smoke screen and hype, or if it is indeed as good as the claims. The skeptic in me says where's the negative reviews, at least 1 person always has something negative to say about something, but all the articles I've come across are positive so far.....so here I ask people who have a better understanding then I :Namaste:

First off .. thanks GOP for a very informative post. Composting is really my path to success with gardening.

This is the real deal.. Here in the states, we are trying to get everyone to compost at home. They give away composting bins and we get a class on composting to learn what to put in the bin. The difference is; HOP collects everyone's kitchen and garden scraps and compost on an industrial scale. They didn't mention Vermicomposting which the only difference is using worms and bacteria to break down waste. With the HOP process looks like they are just using bacteria. Prolly using worms too...

There's folks doing this small scale here in the city but instead of FREE bin - they give you a container and charge $$ for pick up. Of course you can go and get free compost if you are a subscriber.

Bottom line.. we are turning garbage into compost and compost into soil and soil into food, and flowers in our case! It's all good... and really really good to see. I'm telling ya, there's a change going on... world wide too... why bury garbage in a dump when you can turn it into the best soil you could ever imagine?

It's happening... this is not just organic its bio dynamic... its a thing and has been a thing since before the industrial revolution. We are in a post modern era and it's about time we get back to the earth start thinking about sustainability, if not for us for our children and their children.

I'm getting older, I don't want to pass on a garbage dump to my kids... <-- that's as simple the argument gets.

Once I started mixing in our home made compost into our container pots for indoor gardening... I found I needed to do less work, had less problems and less pests and the plants grew with more vigor and overall better health.

There are many paths to sustainable agriculture.

Many thanks GOP for posting that.. I would use that compost in my soil mix. :Namaste:

Beautiful pictures Mister BBrown... And a pretty ass plant to boot...

GL and Keepem Green

Thanks for the kind words everyone... and also congrats Woody - Plant of the year and Photo of the Month... 2018 is startin out great for ya. Your new camera working mighty fine!

First off .. thanks GOP for a very informative post. Composting is really my path to success with gardening.

This is the real deal.. Here in the states, we are trying to get everyone to compost at home. They give away composting bins and we get a class on composting to learn what to put in the bin. The difference is; HOP collects everyone's kitchen and garden scraps and compost on an industrial scale. They didn't mention Vermicomposting which the only difference is using worms and bacteria to break down waste. With the HOP process looks like they are just using bacteria. Prolly using worms too...

There's folks doing this small scale here in the city but instead of FREE bin - they give you a container and charge $$ for pick up. Of course you can go and get free compost if you are a subscriber.

Bottom line.. we are turning garbage into compost and compost into soil and soil into food, and flowers in our case! It's all good... and really really good to see. I'm telling ya, there's a change going on... world wide too... why bury garbage in a dump when you can turn it into the best soil you could ever imagine?

It's happening... this is not just organic its bio dynamic... its a thing and has been a thing since before the industrial revolution. We are in a post modern era and it's about time we get back to the earth start thinking about sustainability, if not for us for our children and their children.

I'm getting older, I don't want to pass on a garbage dump to my kids... <-- that's as simple the argument gets.

Once I started mixing in our home made compost into our container pots for indoor gardening... I found I needed to do less work, had less problems and less pests and the plants grew with more vigor and overall better health.

There are many paths to sustainable agriculture.

Many thanks GOP for posting that.. I would use that compost in my soil mix. :Namaste:
You know what, in Ontario we have bean composting in our green bins for at least the past 10 to 12 years. One thing that disturbs me more than anything is teenagers mentality nowadays that global warming isn't too serious or even a threat at all. Also, I commonly find green bin material in the garbage, Plastics and Glass and Metal in the garbage Etc....... It makes me wonder if my generation is the only one taking the environment seriously.

Hey Guy... gotta have faith, it's their future.

We and by we I'm talking us and our parents generation fvcked the environment up pretty bad until people started dying and corporations and governments had to pay...

Once the money started going to the people the mood changed at least on TV. Global Warming.. lip service... what are we doing about it... nothing.

One day instead of 20" of rain down in Louisiana and Texas, we will have the equivalent of 20" of rain but in snow instead in northern NA. That will be the game changer. Could be something that happens every 20K years and nothing to do with environmental conditions. Could be astro-physics....

I'm talking out my ass... its all good.

We have trash police here in the city.. on trash day they inspect whats in the trash cans... any recyclables visible - $50 ticket. Boom... Problem started.

I think there was a lot of kick back and they stopped issuing tickets. On trash day, someone walks down the street with a pop can... drinks it, tosses in the neighbors trash can and the neighbor gets a $50 ticket. Slippery slope there for sure... enter people "guarding" trash cans with threats and violence. HI neighbor - thats me! :Namaste:

... lets break out the good JuJu... Test buds of DT #6 ...

Vaping in my TruVa.... very light taste... turn it up - There we go... woooah Lung expanding and mouth watering.. very smooth. Not a lot of flavor... these are buds dried on my desk from harvest. I'm hi A/F already, my sore elbow is twitching ... feeling mighty fine! Wish there was a lemon after taste.. Oh wait that's the Labyrinth.

DT = smoooooth mouth watering and face numbing with body tingles.

Listening to Dub... Yabby U

Rub a dub dub - King Tubby and Scientist are in the house.

Time to fire up the Record Player... analog FTW!

I fell fine and happy!

Kids.....lol.
Killer idea of a record player in the grow room, I'm kinda tight for space though lol.

Im 28 and i do all i can to recycle and reuse products.. that are worth reusing. Pointless reusing something that was never made well in the first place. Normally i throw out more in recycling then i do in my regular trash. Feels so damn good when i wheel those carts to the curb and my recycling is full and trash half full. ...

Back
Top Bottom