Could Tennessee Turn Over A New Leaf Concerning Medical Marijuana?

Katelyn Baker

The Tennessee General Assembly might be closer to turning over a new leaf concerning the legalization of medical marijuana during its next session.

When asked about prospects for the upcoming 110th General Assembly, which will convene on Jan. 10, 2017, state Rep. Bob Ramsey, R-Maryville, said there could be some surprises.

"Legalizing medical marijuana is going to be a big issue this year," he said. "I didn't think it was going to be that close to being approved, but my guess is there is going to be a lot of debate and a fairly good chance, depending on the surveys that are returned, it may be addressed and approved."

State Rep. Jeremy Faison, R-Cosby, and state Sen. Steve Dickerson, R-Nashville, are introducing a bill that would allow the use of marijuana for a variety of medical conditions in Tennessee. It would also allow 50 growing operations around the state, including 15 in economically distressed areas.

"At its heart, I really do think this is a very Republican, conservative bill," Dickerson said. "I know that's a little counter-intuitive, but it gets the government out of our lives."

The bill envisions the state generating revenue through licensing by three state departments: Agriculture, Safety and Health. Each agency would develop its own rules and costs for licensing. Medical practitioners would also have to obtain a special license to be able to prescribe medical marijuana, and patients would have to get a $35 medical card.

Previous efforts to have Tennessee join the other 28 states that allow medical marijuana have failed in recent years.

The increasing chance of legalization surprises Ramsey. "I didn't expect that because of the conservative influence in the Republican Party has pretty much routinely been opposed to legalization of medical marijuana in Tennessee and other states. The election results we have seen coming in includes states that are quite conservative that are entertaining the possibility of medial marijuana passage. There seems to be more states all the time that are dealing with that."

Public opinion has grown increasingly favorable for legalization. "If you look back, we fought wine in grocery stores for years until the surveys tipped toward the public approving that concept. If the surveys come back that the public is tending in that direction, there may be a lot more progress on that bill than in the past."

A Vanderbilt University Poll last month found growing acceptance among Tennesseans for looser restrictions on marijuana use. Three-quarters of respondents said marijuana should be legal for either medicinal or personal use.

NickLovejoy1.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Could Tennessee Turn Over A New Leaf Concerning Medical Marijuana?
Author: Joel Davis
Photo Credit: Nick Lovejoy

Back
Top Bottom