Council Hopes for Public Input on Medical Marijuana Fines

Jacob Bell

While the March 21 moratorium extension for medical marijuana dispensaries is in effect, village officials are considering implementing fines in the Dexter village code of ordinances.

The new ordinance language would be made to the Dexter General Code, Chapter 22, Municipal Civil Infractions.

The new section, Marijuana Dispensary Violations, would stipulate a $1,000 fine for first-time offenders of the zoning ordinances as they pertain to medical marijuana and dispensary placement.

Repeat offenders would pay $2,000 for a second violation and $3,000 for a third and any subsequent violations beyond that point.

Village officials hope that the public will fuel a lively and informative discussion on not just the fines, but also the moratorium and zoning issues that still involve more questions than answers.

"I'm concerned ... it's a big change for my community," said Village Council Trustee Donna Fisher, who, along with Trustee Jim Smith, will be attending a Michigan Municipal League workshop this week to learn more about the topic of medical marijuana in Michigan.

"I'm going to learn as much as I can and I hope my community will turn out for this ... it's hard to make a decision like this without input," Fisher said.

Smith said that he expects the council to hold off voting on anything further, at least until a Feb. 28 meeting where more potential zoning ordinance changes regarding the Marijuana Law of 2008 will be looked at.

"On this particular case, we shouldn't rush right into it," Smith said. "Council really hasn't had an outright discussion about it, so we felt we should have the public hearing, hear comment and then have a time where we can actually discuss it before we take any action."

He and Fisher will spend a half-day at the Medical Marijuana Act in Your Community workshop. The Michigan Municipal League is also hosting a second similar workshop from 9 a.m. to noon April 9 at the Lansing Center in Lansing.

Both Smith and Fisher say that there are many unanswered questions and points that need clarifying that the conference should help address.

Those who wish to provide written comments for the public hearing have until 5 p.m. Feb. 13 to submit them to the Village Offices at 8123 Main St.

For a view of the ordinance text residents can either call 734-426-8303, ext. 15 or visit Home Page.

News Hawk- GuitarMan313 420 MAGAZINE
Source: heritage.com
Author: Sean Dalton
Copyright: Heritage Newspapers
Website: DEXTER: Council hopes for public input on medical marijuana fines

Back
Top Bottom