County Arrests Jailer For Narcotics Charge

Founder
A 31-year-old Wilson County jailer is out on bond after he was arrested Nov. 3 on the charge of delivery of a controlled substance into a correctional facility.

Steven Ellis Simpson of Floresville posted $6,000 bond following his arrest and immediate incarceration for the third degree felony charge.

He is alleged to have delivered a small amount of a narcotic to a female prisoner on two occasions, according to Wilson County Sheriff Joe Tackitt Jr.

A female inmate and a former male trustee, who had been released, tipped off Wilson County Sheriff's Department Investigator Gary Laughlin of the alleged activity.

Laughlin was told about the illegal distribution of the drug while Simpson was away from work eight consecutive days. He was out his four regularly scheduled days off and he missed four more after calling in sick.

"Because Simpson had been an excellent and trusted employee, and I had no proof that he had delivered anything to anyone, I decided it would be better to approach him when he returned to work," Laughlin said.

After Simpson returned to work in the morning of Nov. 3, jail officials noticed he made his way toward the cell of the female inmate he supposedly had given the narcotic, which was believed to have been crystal methamphetamine. The drug is often referred to as "ice" on the streets.

Laughlin then entered the cell, searched it thoroughly, but did not find any illegal substance. His discussion with the female inmate, however, confirmed his suspicions that Simpson had committed the alleged deliveries. Jail officials found no drugs on the female inmate.

Next, Laughlin interrogated Simpson at length, but Simpson at first consistently denied any wrongdoing. But when Laughlin discovered a narcotic residue on four wrappings, where a substance had been stored in Simpson's wallet, Simpson confessed he had delivered a drug once in September and another time around Oct. 20.

Simpson immediately was arrested for the felony, was stripped of the uniform he was wearing, and was incarcerated. If convicted, he can expect to serve two to 10 years in prison.

During the lengthy interrogation of Simpson, Laughlin said he felt certain that monetary gain was not the reason why the young jailer delivered the substance.

Simpson told Laughlin that each package of the "meth" cost about $40, and he had bought it on the streets in San Antonio.

A San Antonio lab currently is testing and determining the exact nature of the residue left behind on Simpson.

"I think that Steve was having a difficult time in dealing with some personal problems, and he just found a friendship in the female inmate who was trying to help him," Laughlin said.

Some of the other jailers reported to Laughlin they had observed Simpson spending "a lot of time" talking to the particular inmate and "doing innocent things" for her on occasion, such as taking her newspapers.

"He was never observed to ever have entered her cell," Laughlin said. "It's a shame he allowed their relationship to escalate to taking her dope. He is so young to throw his life away."

"When I talked to the female at length, I found that her story pretty much confirmed my thoughts that Steve was dealing with personal problems. He befriended her out of a desperate need and mixed up emotions, and struck up conversation that he believed was helping him," Laughlin continued.

The female inmate was being held at the Wilson County Jail for Karnes County on charge of burglary of a coin-operated machine. She has been returned to Karnes County because of the incident in the Wilson County facility, where she had been incarcerated about four months.

"It was very surprising to learn about all this," Tackitt said. "I felt he was a good worker, and I never heard any complaints. I guess people just get mixed up over different things and sometimes make poor judgments when they feel desperate."

Laughlin said Simpson, who is married, has no priors or criminal history.

Source: Wilson County News (TX)
Copyright: 2005 Wilson County News.

Back
Top Bottom