Couple Of Random Questions

Hi all - couple of stoner questions, because I wonder about these things (the mind boggles, I know)

1) What is your understanding of a SCROG?
I'm sure it said in the Grow Bible that it was a screen along which you train tips to so only the buds grow upwards, but most folk just mean growing through a net, which offers support but does nothing else; what is the point of that?
Am I mistaken?

2) Secondly, I water cure about half my bud so it's more discreet to smoke since it takes away the smell but not the goodies. No matter how much I flush or use finishing chelates, the water always turns mucky - what is that muck? Chlorophyll, nutes, sap from sugar leaves?

3) Lastly, I tried a quick-dry in the microwave to test a sample a while ago, and the microwave started sparking like the was tin foil in there
WTF is going on there? Did the m/w think it was empty or does bud retain metallic elements or what?

4) High intensity LED's
I am having better results with raising the lamp and turning up the intensity rather than closer but dimmed
Anyone else found this? It makes perfect sense to me

Numbered the Qs so you can give opinion on any individual thought, all welcome
Cheers

PS Please, please help @Bill284 out of a hellish situation - he'd do the same for you [mods, insert link here!] :cool:

I can answer 1 and 4, definitely not 2 and 3x I’m very unfamiliar with those things. All I can say is all a microwave does is vibrate the water molecules so fast that Molecular friction is actually what’s causing the heat. Maybe they had no moisture left? Seems unlikely though.
anyways, Scrogging is going to make the plant grow more horizontally which will even out the canopy and give equal lighting to more of the plant, effectively raising the quality of the quantity. instead of one cola on top, you’ll top it and weave it through the net(s) and have many colas as good as the top one would have been.
As far as strong light and more distance this is true to a degree. It’s generally the better route but it’s the light intensity that matters the most. Each light should come with a chart showing its Luminous Flux, which is what your looking for. Off the top of my head I don’t remember what the best intensity for weed is though.

4) I pin mine to the ceiling and turn em up. Let the plants figure it out.

About the only time I turned down a lamp was a new lamp for me @630watts and young plants that were under significantly less light in the seedling stage. Even then sometimes I just let them VEG longer when young and then full tilt all the way to harvest.

1) scrog = even canopy.... The point I think is OCD. I have no i-deer. I've never had an even canopy till this current GSC comparo grow with all same genetics in same room. They all growing the same. I dont have a net. Prolly too late now anyways.

About the only time I turned down a lamp was a new lamp for me @630watts and young plants that were under significantly less light in the seedling stage. Even then sometimes I just let them VEG longer when young and then full tilt all the way to harvest.

1) scrog = even canopy.... The point I think is OCD. I have no i-deer. I've never had an even canopy till this current GSC comparo grow with all same genetics in same room. They all growing the same. I dont have a net. Prolly too late now anyways.
I usually do a mother, then flower 16 clones (perpetual, coco) but haven't got the space for that any more
At the moment, I have a mix of 4wk old seedlings, cuttings, mothers and flowering plants in a 3x3 tent, some in LiteMix, some in CocoPlus and using BioBizz one one lot and Canna on the other
It's become very messy very quickly, but manageable
My next shot will be 16 x 12/12 Jack Herer three weeks from pop

Hi all - couple of stoner questions, because I wonder about these things (the mind boggles, I know)

I'm sure it said in the Grow Bible that it was a screen along which you train tips to so only the buds grow upwards, but most folk just mean growing through a net, which offers support but does nothing else; what is the point of that?
Am I mistaken?

2) Secondly, I water cure about half my bud so it's more discreet to smoke since it takes away the smell but not the goodies. No matter how much I flush or use finishing chelates, the water always turns mucky - what is that muck? Chlorophyll, nutes, sap from sugar leaves?

3) Lastly, I tried a quick-dry in the microwave to test a sample a while ago, and the microwave started sparking like the was tin foil in there
WTF is going on there? Did the m/w think it was empty or does bud retain metallic elements or what?

4) High intensity LED's
I am having better results with raising the lamp and turning up the intensity rather than closer but dimmed

Cheers

PS Please, please help @Bill284 out of a hellish situation - he'd do the same for you [mods, insert link here!] :cool:
1. SCROG (screen of green) originally meant a screen with holes no larger than 2", set at 10 inches above the top of the soil. When the plant got to that height, it was bent horizontal and kept under the screen while the plant developed. SCROG was a big thing 10 years ago, when no one had legalized grows, and everyone was scared of the penalties for running lots of plants. SCROG allowed you to run 1 or 2 plants in a 4x4 space and get a very nice yield off of it. Lastly, SCROG was popular because T5HO lights became popular as an alternative to large HID lights and hoods and fans and all that to keep things cool. The problem with T5HO was you needed the light to be about 4 inches from the top of the canopy, so a super even canopy held down to a screen became a very cool way to get great production out of small florescent lights.

4. While it is possible to get decent watt/gram numbers by turning down an LED array and getting it down close to the plant, you lose the additive effect from the LEDs nearby and instead rely on the LEDs directly over the plant. As you raise up the light and turn up its intensity, all of the individual lights, even lights half way across the array, add to the total light hitting any one spot. This additive quality allows even more light to hit that spot and from multiple directions. Multisource light is very good for the plants, practically eliminating shadows.

You probably grew with chemical fertilizer. Some are worse than others (cheaper metals with contamination who knows) but they all contain metallic elements such as iron, copper, manganese, zinc and more. Fertilizer is just that, a bunch of dissolved metal the plant can suck up it's roots.

You know what metal does in the microwave and that's what you are seeing.

PS - I've heard about guys melting their mothers microwave with bud like that so you might just want to let it air dry or use a food dryer that only uses hot moving air with no microwaves. Food dryers usually take overnight to dry fully wet bud though so not a quick dry per se.

Am I mistaken?

some do a double scrog as well. the bottom is for support, the top is a traditional scrog with only the tops coming through the net.

flush. sigh.
flush twice. it's a long way to ottawa.

most of the muck is dust.

microwave zapping heavy metals left by bottle nutes.

4) High intensity LED's

i run at 24 throughout the grow and use a floating floor to lower the plants as they mature. i make ample use of the dimming function on my rigs. my veg rig is stationary, i can raise/lower the flower rig, but it pretty much stays at the same spot.

i'll just multi-quote lol

Cheers

PS Please, please help @Bill284 out of a hellish situation - he'd do the same for you [mods, insert link here!]

+1

so long as it's the light and not the plants pinned there ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

scrog requires embracing some thoughts and techniques you normally argue against. you are a much more traditional grower, most of the guys i know have a similar approach as yours.

You probably grew with chemical fertilizer. Some are worse than others (cheaper metals with contamination who knows) but they all contain metallic elements such as iron, copper, manganese, zinc and more. Fertilizer is just that, a bunch of dissolved metal the plant can suck up it's roots.

You know what metal does in the microwave and that's what you are seeing.

correct. give this man a blunt.

Back
Top Bottom