Crimson Grows

I’m wondering if one carrot is enough for a 5 gallon pot or not. I’ve seen posts where extra drippers or 2 carrots are suggested but i hope one carrot per pot, dripping right at the base of the stem, will suffice. Do any of you guys have prior experience with blumats?

No sir! I have never used one. Let’s see what @InTheShed says, I think I remember him mentioning those in another thread.
Hope you have a good holiday bro! Hope your plants do well while your gone.

Thanks man. Yeah it’s gonna be nice. Getting away from it all. And thanks for the help.

Can't help...no automatic watering for me.

Thanks man. It’s no biggie i’m gonna see how it turns out eventually. Haha.

I hooked the blumats up. Everything seems fine. They have been on automatic watering for 1 cycle and the pots feel like they are fairly well watered. Maybe 2 drippers would make it better but as it is, it also works. It should suffice for a short vacation for sure. And maybe using them this way would be better. I don’t want the pots to be drenched all the time. In my past experience, a little bit of drought stress makes the buds extra tasty and i can give them tiny weekly boosts with a tea or something and let the blumats keep it moist. Yeah, that should work.

7538AE7B-EC3F-4DEA-8988-2385EB6E7DC3.jpeg
8271A365-625C-4603-AFDA-876DD2A23563.jpeg
8BDBEF41-85A3-4D82-B2CC-87A70D84CDA6.jpeg
005BC6BD-04AC-4788-A38F-FC1864D029A8.jpeg

Plants love BLT sandwiches. (Bacon lettuce tomato)

When I plant gets fed a BLT, but your not feeding properly, I.e- under watering.

You feed your plant and not see run off, they get a lot of bacon, a lil lettuce and a lil to no tomato.

They seem dry again, so you feed them again.

Again, they get a lot of bacon, a lil lettuce and zero to no tomato, plus the left over scraps from the BLT from before, giving improper feeding, and can lead to a over feeding of one nutrient or the other, as well as causing nutrient deficiency.

When you feed a plant with proper watering techniques, you feed a BLT, putting water in the top of the pot, letting it drain, then pouring more water in, let it drain so on and so forth until you see run off.

Your feeding the plant the entire Bacon, lettuce, and tomato. This technique ensures you that the roots are getting fed the entire BLT, as well as ensuring you that the water is pulling oxygen down to the roots along with the nutrients, because oxygen is just as important to the roots as the nutrients are.

I actually don’t feed them anything at all. Very little molasses and some fish hydrolysate when needed. And some fpes. I forgot to make a banana peel extract this run. I got figs. Maybe i’ll try with those. It’s a fruit so it must be high in potassium.

Well anyway, they don’t get regular feedings as i’m in a heavily amended living organic soil. And as i rely on an active microbial life, keeping the medium moist is the most beneficial thing i can do. Once it gets bone dry colonies suffer and die. Then you have to innoculate the soil again with a tea and it takes some time to get the colonies back. So drip irrigation and organic growing goes great.

Also whatevers in my soil mix it’s never salt. It’s organic matter and it decomposes into ions but not in excessive amounts. Plant selects the colonies it wants to favor based upon its stage of life. So really since i’m not adding anything to the soil, i don’t need to strip anything out of it by having runoff.

Before the blumats i was just flooding the trays every 2 days with 5L of water for each tray and letting the pots wick it up. Gone, in about 30 mins. But blumats are needed for vacation and i think they work well so far. I adjusted them individually for every plants specific watering needs. However there wasn’t much time to test it out so just to be on the safe side i let them get a bit much water than suggested. I’m underpowered in terms of carrot counts anyway but i might come back to 1 or 2 overwatered plant. Lets see.

E1B0D0F8-FF06-463B-934E-9287956ECF1A.jpeg
DF35B126-95C3-4A86-A35D-78932B630DB9.jpeg

Side pic with better illumination. The first ones weren’t doing justice to those lower flower sites. Now because i’m going away tomorrow, i just gave them some molasses and some fish hydrolysate and some kelp extract. I have no worries that they are gonna starve or anything, even some leaf tips are brown at the moment. My mix is a very rich mix and eventhough i try to dial in for every strain, still some tip burn happens. So i know they are not going to starve but they are like my kids. Hahah. I really feel uneasy leaving them for 5-6 days.

BC33111F-4DC5-4490-9A2B-D0D4F61705C1.jpeg

Hey man! Glad I found your journal. Those plants are gorgeous and I really appreciate the knowledge you're throwing around. Looking forward to how this goes. Hope vacation doesn't throw a wrench but we all need to get away now and then.

Thanks for the kind words. I’m just an overly enthusiastic hobby gardener so i don’t see myself in a position to throw around knowledge but i appreciate if you have found something that may benefit you. The whole point is to contribute to the collective human knowledge.

And yeah it’ll feel good, taking some time off, reconnecting with friends and etc. Looking forward to it. Whatever vacation throws i can deal with and if i can’t i can always console my self with the thought of me being only an hobby grower and that by loosing 4 plants i actually haven’t lost anything at all. Hahha.

By the way i’m kidding i’m very nervous about leaving them because i’ve ran out of these and i want more. Lol.

And also introducing my bonsai garden. No fancy techniques. Just root the cuttings, transplant directly into a 7-8 cm square pot and prune the tops to keep them short and bushy with lots of side shoots and prune the roots every couple of months and transplant into fresh soil.

I just flower my bonsai and take cuts from that to replace the flowering bonsai. Very easy. 1020 tray. I got 21 on one tray in a 2x2 with a second tray i can keep 42 healthy bonsai. Now they need a bit of loving, root pruning and transplanting into fresh soil but that’ll be done when i get back.

Older photos with lower quality but they look better in these.
5C59E297-C394-42B6-A381-C9BFDE4AF411.jpeg
55C32E45-3A76-4499-8072-32416B72296A.jpeg

As you can see it’s transplant time.

492AD7D4-4728-4F2A-8CA9-6AFB33146866.jpeg
283BD648-3BAA-4845-B775-EF1F8DDF5D32.jpeg

Running 28w of led total in this 2x2. Just basic philips tubes for domestic usage. Such as the ones you can see under counters or something. Results: not bad! Was doing 4/4 without any ill effects but since it’s only 28w i decided to go 24hrs on.

Awesome stuff, I’m pulling up a chair. I had to leave my girls for a week, but they were in mid veg.... came back to good growth though! Was a nice surprise!! Hoping for good things for you on your return!!

Thanks man. I hope so too. I also did leave them before in veg but never in flower. Well we’ll see. Glad to have you onboard.

Hey Crimson!

I’m gunna sit back and relax over here if yea don’t mind! Like the cob setup and some excellent frost you have my friend.

Keep it up

Welcome man. Thanks for the kinds words. I’m hoping to return to a relatively alive and thriving grow. Tomorrow, we’ll see.

Oh yeah! Much much much better than i hoped for. All the little ones are fine too. I’ll share them tomorrow. Fuck i could have stayed a couple more days with my friends hahaha. Well who knows i may squeeze in one more week near the end of this month. Lol.

CAF419A9-FB08-4552-9FE4-6517549873CF.jpeg
70FD9DA2-57D4-4B1D-A539-57D948F10136.jpeg
1811A500-FA0A-4C4C-A44B-EBEE81F916B0.jpeg
9324B528-EA63-45E4-A990-6760F0FB06FF.jpeg
BBF2BF9B-486E-4A40-ACA0-18C4A69B9CEA.jpeg
CD97FD1E-D036-4705-B4CF-68CDD948AB54.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom