Crinkly leaf: nature or nurture

Norris McSquirter

I have 2 SAG auto Northern Lights Blue Glu @ 9 & 7 days:
  1. In Coco
  2. Watered by hand every day/ every other as required (approx 250-300ml per plant)
  3. Nutrifield A&B 0.5ml l-1
  4. Root nectar 0.25 ml l-1
  5. Mars 2 LED ~55cms away (crinkly girl to side vs directly under)
7 day old looks happy but 9 day old is crinkly - the only difference is that the 9 day girl was planted in the peat pod whereas I took the 7 day old girl out and put directly into coco.

The question is nature and the plants genetic nature or am I giving the poor little thing a hard time... @Preston9mm I'll take you up on your offer of advice if you have time!

1. In Coco
  2. Watered by hand every day/ every other as required (approx 250-300ml per plant)
7 day old looks happy but 9 day old is crinkly - the only difference is that the 9 day girl was planted in the peat pod whereas I took the 7 day old girl out and put directly into coco.

The question is nature and the plants genetic nature or am I giving the poor little thing a hard time... @Preston9mm I'll take you up on your offer of advice if you have time!

IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG
Looking a little dry, do you water till saturated or just a small amount? are you waiting till your pot becomes light?

1. In Coco

At this stage of life, my best guess would be:

I'd back off just a bit on the watering to see how se responds.

:thumb:

Thanks for the speedy responses I have been watering regularly small amounts figuring it’s hard to over water in coco - pot is not light now.

Could well be the peat pod is holding more water than the coarser coco so will give a couple of days without and see if she improves.

Started off a little crinkly which was why I hoped genetics cs stupidity 🤦

Thanks for the speedy responses I have been watering regularly small amounts figuring it’s hard to over water in coco - pot is not light now.

Could well be the peat pod is holding more water than the coarser coco so will give a couple of days without and see if she improves.

I wouldnt let it dry out all the way but certainly would wait until it lightens up a bit, I have heard waiting until an inch of your top soil/coco dries out works good, I personally have done it so long I forgot that's an art very similar to a bike once you learn how to do it it's easy every time after.

I wouldnt let it dry out all the way but certainly would wait until it lightens up a bit, I have heard waiting until an inch of your top soil/coco dries out works good, I personally have done it so long I forgot that's an art very similar to a bike once you learn how to do it it's easy every time after.
Will post (hopefully) a happy girl in a day or 2.

It very well could be the genetics.... and yes, not easy to overwater in coco.

My assumption came from several others I've seen ask this same question. Not uncommon at all for newer growers to "love" their plants too much when seedlings.

That being said... trying to think of other causes. My guess would still me "environmental" of some type.
-over/under watering
-extreme low or high RH%
-light/heat stress
-sitting directly in front of a fan
-or just a funky pheno that will grow out of it in a week. LoL

Hope this gives ya a bit if direction to troubleshoot.

Feel free to drop this question in any of my threads (links in sig) if ya want. Might get a few more experienced eyes on it.

My assumption came from several others I've seen ask this same question. Not uncommon at all for newer growers to "love" their plants too much when seedlings.

That being said... trying to think of other causes. My guess would still me "environmental" of some type.
-over/under watering
-extreme low or high RH%
-light/heat stress

Feel free to drop this question in any of my threads (links in sig) if ya want. Might get a few more experienced eyes on it.
She has always been a bit wonky - bit like me! - but I’ll refine her environment as first priority

-over/under watering
-extreme low or high RH%
-light/heat stress

Great advice, P.H. is also very important, I grew in coco and noticed it tends to hold onto water longer if your pot is much larger than your root mass making it really easy to over water, it creates a boggy environment filled with fungus ready to accelerate root rot/the beginning stages of over watering.. It probably varies with environment/pot size/plant size so coco can really be a touchy topic.

She has always been a bit wonky - bit like me! - but I’ll refine her environment as first priority
Good environment will prevent most problems during the grow.

My garden looked like shit until I dialed in my environment.

That's the main reason I keep my "Temple of Bloom" thread going as a perpetual journey. LoL
Everyone can look back to day one and see how jacked up my grow was... then they can see the evolution in the more recent stuff. It's a beautiful masterpiece of every possible growing folly.
:rofl:

Great advice, P.H. is also very important, I grew in coco and noticed it tends to hold onto water longer if your pot is much larger than your root mass making it really easy to over water, it creates a boggy environment filled with fungus ready to accelerate root rot/the beginning stages of over watering.. It probably varies with environment/pot size/plant size so coco can really be a touchy topic.
This is my weakest "area of expertise". LoL
I know jack shit about PH. I was hoping someone would chime in on the topic. I'm blessed with great water from the tap here; haven't used my PH pen in like 6 months.

Any other ideas? @Bilbobudkin420
@InTheShed @MrSauga @Dutchman1990

Coco is best with a p.h. of 5.8 it can vary from 5.5 to 6.0 some people claim 6.5 is good for coco and I even grew in 7.0 with 0 problems but I am always trying to optimize my process so I did a bit a research and learned rain water is around 5.6 on the scale so you would do well to stay in the range of nature but since we're adding nutrients to our plants that's a little unnatural and over time we've learned a slightly higher p.h. just 0.2 than rain helps with the absorption of some nutrients like silica but then again I am no plant Biologist and much of what I have read is from stoner minds so who knows how much is right lol.

Seeing as the other plant is doing so beautifully i reckon its just a mutation personally. Of course im not gonna argue with all the suggestions of getting your environment, watering practices and PH on point though as the best remedy is always prevention. I reckon she'll grow out of it though... still get those things in check and you'll be laughing all the way til harvest :p

Looks like a Ph or Mutation to me. I don’t run coco I run promix but similar in a way that it’s a soiless medium. I ph in the range of 5.8-6.3 and haven’t had any problems.

From my understanding it’s hard to overwater in coco so I don’t think that’s your issue but I would keep an eye on your ph levels and environment. Feel free to post some more pictures over the upcoming week to show it’s progression but hopefully it grows it off if it is a mutation!

I'm just throwing this out there..that peat pod, did it have a mesh around it? If so did you cut it off? I've read stories where roots can't break the mesh and it gets all bound up.
Growingasmile is correct regarding pH in coco. Best at 5.8...fluctuate between 5.7 and 6.0 for best results.

I'm just throwing this out there..that peat pod, did it have a mesh around it? If so did you cut it off? I've read stories where roots can't break the mesh and it gets all bound up.
Growingasmile is correct regarding pH in coco. Best at 5.8...fluctuate between 5.7 and 6.0 for best results.
I did remove the mesh - I heard exactly the same thing!

PH is usually 6 - the nutes are made locally and with tap water pH perfectly every time!

Good environment will prevent most problems during the grow.

My garden looked like shit until I dialed in my environment.

That's the main reason I keep my "Temple of Bloom" thread going as a perpetual journey. LoL
Everyone can look back to day one and see how jacked up my grow was... then they can see the evolution in the more recent stuff. It's a beautiful masterpiece of every possible growing folly.
:rofl:
Temple of Bloom- now there is 203 pages of rabbit hole!
Fantastic rooms and property- very jealous

Back
Top Bottom