Critique my build

Hello, I am a Canadian long time smoker, first time grower and have decided to jump headfirst into growing for the very first time.

This will be in a basement that stays very cold (15 - 18 degrees C) so I dont anticipate the 4 inch fan running too hard to cool off a led light fed 3 x 3 growing chamber of a dual chamber tent. Noise and smell is of some concern to me but it will be in the furncace room.

I plan to Scrog 3 plants and hold 1 mother plant and I would love to hear all your suggestions and recomendations for the method in that.
Im thinking of a low growing plant in 3 gallon fiber buckets. My preference for strain is high THC with good yeild...a Hindu Kush perhaps?
I would also love to hear from people on how to build your own scrog.

Tent - [Upgraded] GROWNEER 48"x36"x72" Lodge Propagation Tent 2-in-1 Mylar 600D Hydroponic Indoor Grow Tent, w/Easy View Window & Floor Tray, for Hydroponic Indoor Plant Germination Growing
71Ry2AW4VEL._SL1100_.jpg

Ventilation - AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T4, Quiet 4" Inline Duct Fan with Temperature Humidity Controller - Ventilation Exhaust Fan for Heating Cooling Booster, Grow Tents, Hydroponics, Tools & Home Improvement
51Swz4VuLYL._SL1000_.jpg

Aux Ventilation
71-Kztshd7L._SL1500_.jpg

Filter
715ypVxDjJL._SL1500_.jpg

Lighting -
CREE COB Series 1000W LED Plant Grow Light Full Spectrum

Aux lighting - Full Spectrum LED COB 50 Watt Grow Lamp, 300W HPS & CFL & Fluorescent Grow Light Bulbs Equivalent

Scrog pieces - Circo 46-U 2 in. 4 Way LT PVC Pipe Fitting
51DP4kjCQwL._SL1229_.jpg

Thanks for your time.

:welcome:
My winter temp was in a space that averaged 10C (50F) ...a basement like yours. I was able to keep the plants happy with 2x large germinating mats that were on 24/7. They heated the pots and tricked the roots into thinking it was warmer.

Welcome.

Welcome Baron, always good to see another fellow Canadian. I think you are off to a good start on your build, but I think your lighting choices may be a bit suspect for the coverage you will need and conditions you are growing in..

The temps are going to be a major factor and the heat matt mentioned earlier really helps. I had to fight those temps all winter in my basement. Have you considered auto's ? With our 4 plant limit I love them and 24 hours of light helps keeps the temps up. I love my current lights, but If I had to buy lights again I think i would go with HPS just for the amount of heat they throw out.

Im not big on scrogs but i do have to deal with the cold. In winter my simplest solution is just throw in an old-school HiD lamp, do some insulation, drag air from your living space via ducting and use coco in elevated pots. The heat mat suggestion is also great but i personally prefer heat lamps/bulbs since they are more versatile, can hang, clip or bend the lamps to wherever you want.
Also, 420 staff will probs remove your links since it's not really allowed. Pics always.
Welcome and good luck

Welcome Baron, always good to see another fellow Canadian. I think you are off to a good start on your build, but I think your lighting choices may be a bit suspect for the coverage you will need and conditions you are growing in..

The temps are going to be a major factor and the heat matt mentioned earlier really helps. I had to fight those temps all winter in my basement. Have you considered auto's ? With our 4 plant limit I love them and 24 hours of light helps keeps the temps up. I love my current lights, but If I had to buy lights again I think i would go with HPS just for the amount of heat they throw out.

I would have thought the heat from the led would be enough to keep temps up in the sweat lodge. But if it's a problem I would definately look at autos, however, I was unaware running 24 hours was a thing with autos.

I was mainly concerned I had enough of a light to pull thru flower...keeping in mind I'm still in the planning stage

Im not big on scrogs but i do have to deal with the cold. In winter my simplest solution is just throw in an old-school HiD lamp, do some insulation, drag air from your living space via ducting and use coco in elevated pots. The heat mat suggestion is also great but i personally prefer heat lamps/bulbs since they are more versatile, can hang, clip or bend the lamps to wherever you want.
Also, 420 staff will probs remove your links since it's not really allowed. Pics always.
Welcome and good luck

Removing those links will make this post very irrelevant...

I was mainly concerned I had enough of a light to pull thru flower...keeping in mind I'm still in the planning stage
I think your asking a lot of that particular light. I am thinking 2 plants max. I like cree cobs, I have a cree cbx3590. But I think it's a bit suspicious that they don't list what cree's the put in it. It's kinda like a pair of Levi's , there is the goood ones, and there is the ones you paint in only.

This is just my opinion, but I think auto's are pretty much the only way to go and stay legal in Canada right now. Keep in mind a think there is only a few breeders that get auto's right. I run mine 24/7 in the winter and I can get away with 20/4 hours summer. Another bonus is you aren't limited to growing 1 strain and keeping a mom and messing with clones.

My understanding is that light by Phlizon does use Cree 3590s. I am trying to provide proof of that but I cant relocate the data.
It was a grow forum where 2 people were arguing the use of the Cree 3590s in the Phlizon light and the Optic light. Same bulbs at half the price. If I recall, they both use the 3590s but the Phlizon uses a different driver than the Optic.

Well, another flip to my flop...I have rethought the lighting back and forth 50 times over and will most likely go with the 2000 watt version of the Phlizon Cob. I do not want to look at anything but LEDs.

Right...most optic leds are 5 watts each claiming up to 30 percent more light. Then there are the double chip non optics (2 x 5 watts). And finally the 10 watt non optic leds. Most of the people like the optic version the best, which is substantially more money than non optic.
I dont look at that false watt number claim...I have been observing the wattage from wall readings. This Phlizon one is getting nice reviews. However, as I have grown nothing I welcome all suggestions.

On Edit, Zogs has informed me we werent on the same page with "Optics" ....we are now and you can disregard my technoblab from this post....or digest it at your leisure.

The heat mat suggestion is also great but i personally prefer heat lamps/bulbs since they are more versatile, can hang, clip or bend the lamps to wherever you want.

I plan to raise my pots, but doesnt raising them negate the effects of a heat mat?

My understanding is that light by Phlizon does use Cree 3590s. I am trying to provide proof of that but I cant relocate the data.
It was a grow forum where 2 people were arguing the use of the Cree 3590s in the Phlizon light and the Optic light. Same bulbs at half the price. If I recall, they both use the 3590s but the Phlizon uses a different driver than the Optic.

Well, another flip to my flop...I have rethought the lighting back and forth 50 times over and will most likely go with the 2000 watt version of the Phlizon Cob. I do not want to look at anything but LEDs.

This isnt it, but it does add some creedence to my claim. Best COB LED Grow Lights (There Aren’t Many Good Ones)

It wouldnt be on bare concrete floor, a layer of lino is there, plus mylar tent, plus raised pots. Truth be told, it's more ambient temp I was worried about then cold floor contact.

To further add to things, I have again flip flopped my lighting decision to go with the Mars hydro tsw 2000 quantum board.

Back
Top Bottom