Critter ID wanted

Hi Thanks for looking at this some of us are trying to figure out what the hell this is on the underside of the lowest leaves on the shade side of her highness. First pic is the way it sits. Second pic is after I tipped it off the leaf. No legs? Any bug experts about? Appreciate ideas
1535845561971.png
1535845584259.png

Any experience getting rid of them Joe?
I’d say try neem oil

Or unscented dish soap ? No info on pest management bro when google ?

I read up on them too

How many do you see ?

I’d say try neem oil

Or unscented dish soap ? No info on pest management bro when google ?

I read up on them too

How many do you see ?
I hit her with neem about 4 or 5 hours ago. Nothing yet. I see 20 on a few 3 to 5 on others. Most still are unaffected. I either missed seeing them or they are getting to be more. They don't seem to terrible. I don't know

I could be wrong but the Mango leaf gall midge is typically found in Mango growing regions. I'm not sure Mass qualifies as one of those. It's possible it's a gall midge but a different type.

Below is mirrored from a Pest mangement site. Hope it helps.

Gall midges
There are hundreds of species of gall midges (Cecidomyiidae), also called gall gnats or gall flies. Each species feeds inside only one or a few related hosts, including coyote brush, dogwood, Douglas-fir, ficus, honey locust, oak, pine, and willow.

Pests of flowers include the chrysanthemum gall midge, Rhopalomyia chrysanthemi, and the violet gall midge, Prodiplosis violicola. Certain midges (e.g., Aphidoletes and Feltiella spp.) are predators of small insects and mites and are beneficial.

Identification
Adult gall midges are tiny, delicate flies, with long, slender antennae and legs. They resemble fungus gnats and flies in certain other families. Gall midge larvae are tiny white, yellowish, reddish, or orange maggots.

Life cycle
In gall-making species, midge larvae bore into tissue or cause tissue to form into galls that surround the larvae, which feed inside. Most species have several generations per year.

Solutions
For flowers in planting beds, clip off galls and distorted plant parts as soon as you see them, and remove them from the garden. If you have an intolerable infestation, you may want to remove susceptible plants. Gall midges are difficult to control with insecticides.

I could be wrong but the Mango leaf gall midge is typically found in Mango growing regions. I'm not sure Mass qualifies as one of those. It's possible it's a gall midge but a different type.

Below is mirrored from a Pest mangement site. Hope it helps.

Gall midges
There are hundreds of species of gall midges (Cecidomyiidae), also called gall gnats or gall flies. Each species feeds inside only one or a few related hosts, including coyote brush, dogwood, Douglas-fir, ficus, honey locust, oak, pine, and willow.

Pests of flowers include the chrysanthemum gall midge, Rhopalomyia chrysanthemi, and the violet gall midge, Prodiplosis violicola. Certain midges (e.g., Aphidoletes and Feltiella spp.) are predators of small insects and mites and are beneficial.

Identification
Adult gall midges are tiny, delicate flies, with long, slender antennae and legs. They resemble fungus gnats and flies in certain other families. Gall midge larvae are tiny white, yellowish, reddish, or orange maggots.

Life cycle
In gall-making species, midge larvae bore into tissue or cause tissue to form into galls that surround the larvae, which feed inside. Most species have several generations per year.

Solutions
For flowers in planting beds, clip off galls and distorted plant parts as soon as you see them, and remove them from the garden. If you have an intolerable infestation, you may want to remove susceptible plants. Gall midges are difficult to control with insecticides.
Wow MrSauga, Thanks for the digging. I couldn't agree more with all said. You made me laugh with the mango/mass thing. The only pic I could find on google pic's was the mango one. So in case someone wanted to have a look. You sir are so on, if you peek at the last entry in my journal I say I'm going to cut the midges off and put em in the trash.

Update
These funny little things never amounted to anything. I found them everywhere. My car, the barrels. It's fall now and most things are brown. Frost has happened and they still exist in the spot they were in since I found them. I'm calling them a no threat to growing cannabis unless they completely cover a plant. Never grew bigger either.

Back
Top Bottom