Crossing a photo with an auto

Not exactly sure. Unless you're a professional breeder that's how they do "fast flower" seeds. But having a auto next to a photo will not pollinate it. Cant clone autos either. Weird species right? Lol
I'm on about the photos pollenating the auto,, not autos pollenating photos.

The autos on day 24 from seed and the photos are on week 5 flower,
1 photos a hermie that pollenated the other photo, and the auto is right beside them.
when the auto goes into flower now in the next few weeks it will probably be pollenated by the photos and therefore will have cross breed the two different types together.
I have also seen threads and articles regarding successful auto cloning but its not worth the time as u only get a tiny bud if even due to the fact its the same age as mother plant and the stress and time set back don't make it worth while.

from what I understands and been researching
anyways,,

Pretty sure that's not true. I think some strains were made my pollinating a photo plant with auto pollen, and others did the reverse, pollinating an auto with photo pollen.
I have no examples, but anyone who had an auto hermie that pollinated a photo female, or had an auto hermie right beside a flowering photo female that didn't get pollinated, please speak up. And any breeders who have crossed autos and photos as well.

My scientist dad taught me to ask "By what mechanism?" any time someone says something like that.
I have nothing to add here but another question. Can you all point me in the direction to where you find some of this information? I never took a biology class in my life, it wasn't a requirement at the time for me to graduate as long as I took other science courses like AP physics and chemistry. The graduating class after mine was required to take two biologycl courses, anyways a lot of this is Greek to me. I know @CanadianJim mentions Mendel Squares, which I have seen and understand the basics of, but I could always know more so I will do a further Googling on that. It seems every time I try and Google marijuana breeding or genetics all I get is the very simple boilerplate type information that this is how plants are reversed to make feminized seeds or the other basic information I already know. I'd like to know more about recessive traits and probability when it comes to F1...F3, S1, Bx, etc., as well as information on other, more advanced breeding techniques. If any of you have a good reference to any published research or scholarly articles on the subject, please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated. I may have to dip over to the Pollen Chuckers Paradise and ask around over there too.

Sorry for hijacking your thread @thebear88
good luck on your quest for knowledge

Same here, but I'm not really a part of the "cannabis culture" around here. A few friends who indulge, but none of them grow, or get involved with it. And with the security issues of keeping your grow safe, and the lingering stigma around cannabis it'll probably be a while before it gets as far as alcohol has come since prohibition. It's up to us to change that.

Edit: Lol, so much got posted that doesn't seem to make sense anymore, too bad I can't insert a quote now. I'm referring to the OP's post about talking instead of reading.

Same here, but I'm not really a part of the "cannabis culture" around here. A few friends who indulge, but none of them grow, or get involved with it. And with the security issues of keeping your grow safe, and the lingering stigma around cannabis it'll probably be a while before it gets as far as alcohol has come since prohibition. It's up to us to change that.

Edit: Lol, so much got posted that doesn't seem to make sense anymore, too bad I can't insert a quote now. I'm referring to the OP's post about talking instead of reading.
I think I understand a lot more than I did now than at the start of the thread,,, other peoples hand on experiences is a lot better sometimes than just reading stuff off the net, too many contradictions and misinformation,

I'm only growing it cause it costs too much to buy and it will help keep the cost down abit,,, so hoping I can learn as much right info before as possible before I do my next grow,

I think I understand a lot more than I did now than at the start of the thread,,, other peoples hand on experiences is a lot better sometimes than just reading stuff off the net, too many contradictions and misinformation,

I'm only growing it cause it costs too much to buy and it will help keep the cost down abit,,, so hoping I can learn as much right info before as possible before I do my next grow,
I'm lucky, I enjoy growing plants. I would never have known how much except I started growing hot peppers many moons ago. Never could find any good ones for sale so I had to grow my own. Weed was sort of the same thing. I could never find what I wanted and what they did have cost too much over time. Growing my own was smarter, safer, and cheaper.

My auto that was pollinated by an unknown male has only produced auto seeds.

Cant clone autos either. Weird species right? Lol

That is so wrong. It works perfectly fine.

My auto that was pollinated by an unknown male has only produced auto seeds.

That is so wrong. It works perfectly fine.
Apologies if this is mentioned somewhere above.

The autoflowering process results from a genetic trait, and in itself doesn't interfere with auto/photo compatibility from a pollination standpoint - in other words it's roughly like saying that a plant with green stems can't pollinate a plant with red stems, or a stretchy plant can't pollinate a squat one. In fact the development of the autoflowering tendency involves integrating the autoflowering genetics of Ruderalis into more conventional sat/indy gene pools. I'm not a breeder as such myself, so there is a lot I don't know about how all of this works, but nonetheless of this I'm pretty certain.

Yes, for the most part autoflowering strains present a "one seed, one plant" proposition.

Having said that, cloning autos works perfectly fine too, it just doesn't function as a means of long-term propagation the way it does with photos. The clones of an auto will inevitably be smaller and produce less, but if you are trimming/lollipopping/ etc and taking branch material from lower areas or wherever anyway, the clones can be a way of nicely filling out a footprint. Also, and this is an even greater benefit especially when one wants to keep a strain in the rotation, auto clones provide a chance to reverse a plant, derive some pollen, and pollinate the next plant of that strain.

Really the only auto I still grow is one I reversed, pollinated (just a couple of branches), and got a couple hundred seeds from - they'll last me a decade.

But they aren't for everyone - for instance a grower that prefers trees they can "infinitely" veg and top as opposed to sogging or scrogging will have little use for autos, and, indeed, there is no way to hang on to a unique pheno via mothering. Some down sides for sure, but the classic complaints of weak potency and low yields are really not germane anymore, and if they vibe with someone's situation and approach to nurturing growing things they are certainly a net benefit to the "growing" growing community.

Wow - apologies for the long-windedness!

Pretty sure that's not true. I think some strains were made my pollinating a photo plant with auto pollen, and others did the reverse, pollinating an auto with photo pollen.
I have no examples, but anyone who had an auto hermie that pollinated a photo female, or had an auto hermie right beside a flowering photo female that didn't get pollinated, please speak up. And any breeders who have crossed autos and photos as well.

My scientist dad taught me to ask "By what mechanism?" any time someone says something like that.
I just had an auto blue dream go hermie and pollinate my two females in my tent. Guessing bc I kept it at 12/12 stressed the auto out. Now my whole grow is fudged

Not exactly sure. Unless you're a professional breeder that's how they do "fast flower" seeds. But having a auto next to a photo will not pollinate it. Cant clone autos either. Weird species right? Lol
yes an auto can and will pollinate photos be it natural male or feminized pollen .Had the unfortunate event happen last year.

Back
Top Bottom