Crumbs To Brix: Archiweedies' Organic, 4x8

Word brother, what ween said. Takes a bit getting used to the wet/dry cycle but usually my soil will get so dry you can see a gap between the soil and pot and the plants still won't droop from lack of water! Not saying you should use that technique just saying there is a lot of water hidden in the soil.
Yea right on guys! I actually have a 1 gallon container with soaked soil and a shower cap on the top and bottom for weight reference. It was night and day difference on weight. I’m fairly sure it was ready. Normally I wouldn’t need much water either, but I do have a heater in the grow box with it and I’m pretty sure it’s drying them out.
One other consideration is I’m trying to keep VPD in check. If I’m doing a my job with VPD, the plants should be transpiring like crazy and that means they’re drinking more.

Thanks Ween and KB!

It's awesome to see so many new growers using the kit. Welcome to Brixit economy! If you don't understand that joke I don't blame you, it's a stretch :laugh: seeing if it rolls of the keyboard.

Fly by High archi!
:passitleft:
Damn you soaring high DM! I ain’t mad!
It's awesome to see so many new growers using the kit. Welcome to Brixit economy! If you don't understand that joke I don't blame you, it's a stretch :laugh: seeing if it rolls of the keyboard.
I found Amy Gardner. She told me to read. That was three months ago nearly lol.
Seriously lots of love to Doc and you growers who are growing high brix man.

I do have a opportunity for a learning moment for myself and maybe some other folks watching.
0EC62847-7EDB-4202-A0A4-4CA52072CDEF.jpeg
4BDC934F-C277-43D7-A787-CD6EAE7FE5EA.jpeg
4214F746-EDA8-405B-982C-2A99B85554BF.jpeg

My wee blueberry is having a little sadness in the first pair of leaves. They twisted on me, which I have seen happen before but they feel dry and crispy and have some little spots. I know these leaves aren’t important and the new growth looks okay. Maybe a little hungry?
Question is: should I foliar some Destress? Is this when Destress is best or is it not really important as it’s just the early leaves and new growth looks good?

Hey Archi! Finally caught up in here. Glad you’re on youre way on the Brix train :high-five:

Were those pots,bone dry? Did it feel like they were filled with feathers when you lifted?

I was gonna ask the same. You want to reference against a bone dry pot... not a straight out of the cook filled pot. There’s still moisture in therrr.

I’m lovin this “filled with feathers” description. It’s the only thing that truly describes how it feels when you get it as dry as needed. Like there’s nothing in it. Feathers is perfect.
:thumb:

By the basic instructions, soak the pots (some use 1/4 TP), plant seed. Wait until dry ( early wilting) and then drench. I know someone said they done use any drench for ages, but I just wanted to not that the instructions say that first watering is a full drench - usually TP.

Doc always says that he recommends following the structure of events laid out in the instructions with minimal training ect for the first couple of runs with the kit, before we start mixing that up a bit.

So I’d say a little topping and training is fine, but if I was on my first kit run, I wouldn’t be thinking about quadlining or anything that extensive. Just the usual top, train, SC a bit :) Sorry I’m rambling... it was a lot to catch up on.
We had a couple close calls in Jamaica crossing the main road because of the driving on the wrong side of the road. You tend to look the wrong way 1st and start to cross right in front of oncoming cars coming from the wrong way :oops:

That kept happening to me in Hawaii! Luckily there is the “surfer crossing” culture :ganjamon:
Most crosswalks in London have "LOOK RIGHT" painted on the ground so they don't lose too many tourists!
:D so that’s what that’s for!!

In my veg garden, if it isn't wilted it doesn't need water. :bongrip:

Once they hit bloom though, they have to stay moist for best results.

I do have a opportunity for a learning moment for myself and maybe some other folks watching.

My wee blueberry is having a little sadness in the first pair of leaves. They twisted on me, which I have seen happen before but they feel dry and crispy and have some little spots. I know these leaves aren’t important and the new growth looks okay. Maybe a little hungry?
Question is: should I foliar some Destress? Is this when Destress is best or is it not really important as it’s just the early leaves and new growth looks good?

The standard answer to that question is "no, never mind, everything is fine".

But to get more to the point, it's hard to tell why that first pair is failing. Most of the action in those largish pots is happening in the soil, and there can be hiccups along the way. And yes, this is the sort of thing that should make you think of DeStress. Doc doesn't advise using foliars before the 5th pair, but we use diluted DeStress on cuttings, so it's not going to cause a big problem.

If you want to, give it a shot of some half strength. The bottom pair will still fail, but it might also hook the roots up a little better. DS alters the root exudates to call for biota with a more foliage-oriented nutrient balance.

But instructions say to wait until 5 nodes.

Your call.

:Namaste:

Hey Archi! Finally caught up in here. Glad you’re on youre way on the Brix train :high-five:

I was gonna ask the same. You want to reference against a bone dry pot... not a straight out of the cook filled pot. There’s still moisture in therrr.

I’m lovin this “filled with feathers” description. It’s the only thing that truly describes how it feels when you get it as dry as needed. Like there’s nothing in it. Feathers is perfect.

By the basic instructions, soak the pots (some use 1/4 TP), plant seed. Wait until dry ( early wilting) and then drench. I know someone said they done use any drench for ages, but I just wanted to not that the instructions say that first watering is a full drench - usually TP.

Doc always says that he recommends following the structure of events laid out in the instructions with minimal training ect for the first couple of runs with the kit, before we start mixing that up a bit.

So I’d say a little topping and training is fine, but if I was on my first kit run, I wouldn’t be thinking about quadlining or anything that extensive. Just the usual top, train, SC a bit :) Sorry I’m rambling... it was a lot to catch up on.

That kept happening to me in Hawaii! Luckily there is the “surfer crossing” culture :ganjamon:

very helpful!

Ahh thank you AG! I am leaning towards topping and some LST but nothing too special. My focus is learning the process and absorbing everything I can from our wonderful community!

I might have been a little jumpy on dunking the plants. Next time, when I think I need to water, I’ll wait a day and re-assess. Try to move at the plants speed :thumb::thanks:

Well said Amy! I'm gonna post this over in @FutRfarmer journal.

:passitleft:
Thanks I wasn’t aware Futr was running a journal I can’t wait to check it out!

The standard answer to that question is "no, never mind, everything is fine".

But to get more to the point, it's hard to tell why that first pair is failing. Most of the action in those largish pots is happening in the soil, and there can be hiccups along the way. And yes, this is the sort of thing that should make you think of DeStress. Doc doesn't advise using foliars before the 5th pair, but we use diluted DeStress on cuttings, so it's not going to cause a big problem.

If you want to, give it a shot of some half strength. The bottom pair will still fail, but it might also hook the roots up a little better. DS alters the root exudates to call for biota with a more foliage-oriented nutrient balance.

But instructions say to wait until 5 nodes.

Your call.

:Namaste:
That is very helpful and detailed thanks Gray! I had a feeling the general consensus would be that the new growth looks fine and not to worry. Thank you for the excellent description on what DS is doing for our soil I understand it much better. I had no idea the exudates could “call” for what it needs like that!

As I’ve mentioned, I want to play by the basic kit instructions best as possible. We’re at four nodes, not five so I think I’ll hang back and see what happens.

Coincidentally, I did see that Destress was recommended for cuttings at half strength. Though my cuttings did not come from a plant in HB soil, it did seem to help it root very fast. My cuttings rooted around 7 days. They were taken at the same time I dropped the seeds in dirt.

Thanks for your wisdom Gray :thanks::high-five:

I'm in! interested to see how your blueberry and mine differ. my blueberry is by phoenix
Hey Futr! Welcome and I must have overlooked my notifications and got behind in your journal, be right over to get caught up.

Here’s the light and a little look at the spectrum. It’s tough cause that HPS spectrum is going at the same time. Only two of the switches on right now. Plants perked right up to it.

:high-five::bravo:
That is an Awesome looking light. I have tried the LED route in the past but they never work-out
but I am sure it has to do with me being a cheap *** so they are never the best :). I kinda like
the freedom of the T5s I can mix match, increase or decrease the different spectrum's
and hopefully be able to figure out the best recipe's for different natural grow conditions.
Like Malawi Africa has the HIGHETST UV on the planet (scale from 1 to 13 they get 13) so I like
the freedom. Either way I am a firm believer they use all the different spectrum's and they
produce different effects depending on the intensity duration AND TIME OF DAY . a LOT to
get a handle on but well worth the effort I think

:high-five::bravo:
That is an Awesome looking light. I have tried the LED route in the past but they never work-out
but I am sure it has to do with me being a cheap *** so they are never the best :). I kinda like
the freedom of the T5s I can mix match, increase or decrease the different spectrum's
and hopefully be able to figure out the best recipe's for different natural grow conditions.
Like Malawi Africa has the HIGHETST UV on the planet (scale from 1 to 13 they get 13) so I like
the freedom. Either way I am a firm believer they use all the different spectrum's and they
produce different effects depending on the intensity duration AND TIME OF DAY . a LOT to
get a handle on but well worth the effort I think
I had no idea aout the UV being that high in Malawi! Wow! Thanks for joining us Gazoo, wouldnt be the same without ya here. :thumb:
:thanks:
That's a pretty nice lookin light there Archiweedies! It seeks to look like more of a "white light spectrum" than a "blurple spectrum", or visible light is what I should say before someone slams me for being incorrect. :)
Nice clean grow. I'm diggin it.
Thanks Big Sparks, it's a bad representation of the light because without the HPS on it looks very cool. Not at all like a blurple. I grew my first couple grows with those. The HPS is very dominant over in spectrum, but Im sure thats due to it being lower and Im only running the Veg and Flower switch on the light currently. Seems to be about 50% of the leds are on.
Lights come on in a few, Ill see if I can interrupt the HPS, so I get just the Perfect Sun.

Another lefty ? :thumb:
Haha kinda! I trained myself to use my left hand when I learned woodcarving. It’s a lot easier to switch hands with a chisel or gouge than to move the workpiece every time.
So no I’m right handed but I feel comfortable using my left for almost anything including writing.

Back
Top Bottom