Cuomo - Medical Marijuana Program Is 'A Good Law'

Katelyn Baker

Alabany - Criticism of the state's medical marijuana program apparently hasn't made its way to Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

Cuomo said Wednesday he was unaware of concerns that the program has been too restrictive and has limited patients' ability to get the drug.

"I haven't heard issues that people can't find access," Cuomo told reporters in Buffalo when asked about the criticism. "You don't have one on every corner because you don't have that kind of demand. But if you need the drug, you can get the drug."

New York legalized medical marijuana in non-smokeable forms in January, but the state Health Department refuses to release a list of doctors registered to prescribe the drug, and advocates said it's been difficult for patients to find.

The health department last year approved five companies to distribute medical marijuana at 20 dispensaries to people with serious medical conditions.

But the dispensaries are spread out across the state, making it hard for patients to access, advocacy groups and lawmakers said.

The health department said 600 physicians have registered to prescribe medical marijuana, and 4,828 patients have been certified by their doctors to participate.

Some legislators sought to make some changes to the law, but they were unsuccessful during the legislative session that ended early Saturday.

They wanted to allow nurse practitioners and physician assistants to prescribe medical marijuana; add chronic pain to the list of eligible conditions and add more strains of the drug available to children with types of epilepsy.

Cuomo has been cautious with New York's medical marijuana program, fearing a broad program could lead to abuses found in some states.

Sen. Diane Savino, D-Staten Island, said some of the changes could be done administratively, such as expanding who can prescribe medical marijuana. The health department should also release the list of doctors certified to prescribe the drug, she said.

"I think we can tweak the program to make it work better," she said.

Savino, who has sponsored many of the medical marijuana bills, said the health department is well aware of the complaints, and she and patients and their families have met with the agency to express their concerns.

If Cuomo doesn't know about the problems, "that's unfortunate because this should be something that he is aware of," Savino said. "Now that I know he isn't aware of it, I'm going to make sure he knows."

cuomo-cred-seth-wenig.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Cuomo - Medical Marijuana Program Is 'A Good Law'
Author: Joseph Spector
Photo Credit: Seth Wenig

Back
Top Bottom