Curing: Jars

I use the plastic lids no problemo - wash buds wash jars in the dishwasher and wash my hands specially before and after touching plants or flowers.
Going to add gloves after washing those hands too! I will throw them in the dishwasher tonight just to be safe and sterile!

No good on direct sun as Senior said, you want a dim to dark room but keep in mind that dark is where mold grows easiest. Keep fan blowing nearby but not on your crop - it will dry too fast
After washing I hung for a few hours with a fan blowing on them.
Did a rough trim , weighed , and bagged up in paper sacks into the fridge.
I fluffed the buds every morning for a week or so.
Once the bds were below 68% RH , I placed in Open jars in the fridge.
I set each bottle out each morning for 30 minutes and checked RH.
Once it reached 64% , I set in a dark closet w/ tight lid.
Keeping temps around 70/75* and 60% RH .
8A390511-FA9B-4ED7-9BF4-1A41AE1D6268.jpeg
F14574FB-72CF-4B90-85A9-A1AC3234255E.jpeg
C21AA21D-45F1-4567-B0D6-E5EE9E34E009.jpeg
9801FA2D-3ED3-4FE2-8AEC-8EBBF6523D6C.jpeg
7BE96327-F751-4704-9D95-E3736BC25088.jpeg

Started burping twice a day and after a few days , once a day.
Then every 3 days.

Looked like caterpillar poop.
Keep looking Maybe you will find the little bastard... They blend right in with the buds and leaves. I keep seeing the caterpillar poop on my veggie garden but have a hell of a time finding them...

Keep looking Maybe you will find the little bastard... They blend right in with the buds and leaves. I keep seeing the caterpillar poop on my veggie garden but have a hell of a time finding them...
I found one last night for the first time about long as my finger nail. I’m going to start looking everyday. I have a black light but found it just by going with my instincts.

I did a test. Took a small moist bud w/ 71% RH and placed in a small mason jar , in the closet.
I burped it for a few seconds in the morning.
Bud rot developed on day 4 or 5. It was still to moist to start cure.
On the other hand , my first grow last year , I did not wash and hung the buds in my garage .
Had a fan circulating air. I over dried them in 3 days. Below 55% RH is not good.
So morale of story , how ever one drys , check the RH constantly ( w/ a very good hydrometer) ,
and don’t start cure till buds are in the zone.
This is all my opinion based on my experience.
:goodluck:

I ordered some jars today to cure the harvest soon to come but they have plastic lids :rolleyes:o_O
They are 1g sized so not to sure if i should keep uhm or send them back? Use some thread seal tape?
They must not be canning jars since I doubt that plastic lids will handle being in boiling water or in a pressure cooker for long. I have seen plastic lids made by Ball and Kerr brands but sold separately from the jars. Will have to take a look next time I am at the big time supermarket.

If the jars are standard opening and thread then you could buy a box of replacement bands and lids. Then save the plastic lids for when you have parties and invite people over for a smoke. You just have to know if the opening is a standard or a wide-mouth which should be on the box.

The Meijer supermarkets around here seem to be loaded up with canning jars of all sizes and styles. The Kroger stores do not carry as wide a variety or as many but they still have a supply. Your location might be different.

After washing I hung for a few hours with a fan blowing on them.
Did a rough trim , weighed , and bagged up in paper sacks into the fridge.
<cut to ease up the bandwidth...
Nice looking layout in the fridge. That and all the jars lined up.

I see that you trimmed and did a wet weight before bagging up.

Do you do a dry weight after to compare the difference. Sometimes I do a wet weight and then weigh the buds after they have dried and before I put them into the jars.

They are very much air tight. So maybe im over thinking :laugh:
I got some hygrometers on the way and bovedas too just in case. So I’m thinking based on your review @013 I should be okay?
I started w/ some cheap hydrometers . I had a half dozen. Set them on a table , side by side , for a couple hours. Temps and RH readings varied a bunch.
I ordered more expensive ones that screw onto the tops of jars.
These are much more accurate and consistent.

Nice looking layout in the fridge. That and all the jars lined up.

I see that you trimmed and did a wet weight before bagging up.

Do you do a dry weight after to compare the difference. Sometimes I do a wet weight and then weigh the buds after they have dried and before I put them into the jars.
I did check on weight after dry as I start the cure.
About 70% of wet weight did evaporate.
I tried to place a half Oz in the small bottles and an Oz in the large ones.
After 8 weeks of cure I will see what I lost during cure.
Some bottles are 3 weeks now.

On those caterpillars - Bacillus theringnesis (freaking auto text) or BT better known as mosquito dunks work for caterpillars. They come as round white donut looking shapes. Break up part of dunk and use as top dress on soil. Plus you can soak 1/4 dunk in 5 gallons of water for 24 hrs before watering. It’s a biological. It also comes as a concentrate or spray but it’s deadly to bees and bee colonies so use sparingly and spray only at night.

No bees and mankind is done for.

Back
Top Bottom