Curing Nuts N Bolts

RangerDanger

Here's the straight skinney re: curing--
Robert Clarke on the subject from marijuana botany

As floral clusters dry, and even after they are sealed and packaged, they continue to cure. Curing removes the unpleasant green taste and allows the resins and cannabinoids to finish ripening. Drying is merely the removal of water from the floral clusters so they will be dry enough to burn. Curing takes this process one step farther to produce tasty and psychoactive marijuana. If drying occurs too rapidly, the green taste will be sealed into the tissues and may remain there indefinitely. A floral cluster is not dead after harvest any more than an apple is. Certain metabolic activities take place for some time, much like the ripening and eventual spoiling of an apple after it is picked. During this period, cannabinoid acids decarboxylate into the psychoactive cannabinoids and terpenes isomerize to create new polyterpenes with tastes and aromas different from fresh floral clusters. It is suspected that cannabinoid biosynthesis may also continue for a short time after harvest. Taste and aroma also improve as chlorophylls and other pigments begin to break down. When floral clusters are dried slowly they are kept at a humidity very near that of the inside of the stomata. Alternatively, sealing and opening bags or jars or clusters is a procedure that keeps the humidity high within the container and allows the periodic venting of gases given off during curing. It also exposes the clusters to fresh air needed for proper curing.

If the container is airtight and not vented, then rot from anaerobic bacteria and mold is often seen.

My fellow grower and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to the curing process. My fellow grower believes that you should just open the jar for a few seconds and then close it once a day until it's ready to be smoked. I think you should rotate the jar a few times to move the buds around, so that the buds on the bottom get some air while the lid is open. His argument is that the buds are delicate and shouldn't be moved that often. I understand that, so when I rotate the jars, I do it gently. Please let me know which technique is proper. Maybe we both have it wrong.

My fellow grower and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to the curing process. My fellow grower believes that you should just open the jar for a few seconds and then close it once a day until it's ready to be smoked. I think you should rotate the jar a few times to move the buds around, so that the buds on the bottom get some air while the lid is open. His argument is that the buds are delicate and shouldn't be moved that often. I understand that, so when I rotate the jars, I do it gently. Please let me know which technique is proper. Maybe we both have it wrong.

I believe you are both right. You will be smoking weed much much sooner though!!!!! :blunt:

Back
Top Bottom