Curing process stops under 50% - Is there any science behind this?

I agree for sure there is a lot more to it especially for trying to get the best nuisances. But it is also frigging hard to do well anyway until you get a feel for it. Gotta crawl before you can walk. There is a lot more to it then just the anaerobic part. That is just what is happening when it is sealed up. It is the primary thing you are waiting on. I like to dry a bit after the cure. There is a lot more to it then just what you were asking about. But the 50% is I think becasue I think about 55 is where they may start dying off. I can't remember this really. I am sure by 50 they are dying off fast.

Just use the 62 packs and a hygrometer and burp them during the first 3-4 weeks. Don't let them get over 65 and you will be fine hopefully. It is always possible to screw it up... one can always use an un-sterile container or hygrometer...

Just like driving down the freeway with 5 pounds of weed in the trunk...Keep it under 65.

I agree for sure there is a lot more to it especially for trying to get the best nuisances. But it is also frigging hard to do well anyway until you get a feel for it. Gotta crawl before you can walk. There is a lot more to it then just the anaerobic part. That is just what is happening when it is sealed up. It is the primary thing you are waiting on. I like to dry a bit after the cure. There is a lot more to it then just what you were asking about. But the 50% is I think becasue I think about 55 is where they may start dying off. I can't remember this really. I am sure by 50 they are dying off fast.

Just use the 62 packs and a hygrometer and burp them during the first 3-4 weeks. Don't let them get over 65 and you will be fine hopefully. It is always possible to screw it up... one can always use an un-sterile container or hygrometer...

Just like driving down the freeway with 5 pounds of weed in the trunk...Keep it under 65.

I'm kind of wondering if the cure an be like "restarted" or "saved" in my circumstances. So I am trying to avoid opening the jars at all until I get the Boveda packs. Overall though I think that the weed is more than dry enough to avoid mold. Part of me worries though because in the past if I stopped burping a jar prematurely, it would end up making the weed smell musty.

Was that warning about the cheap hygrometers being inaccurate? That's what I was kind of hoping for in the case of my hygrometer, because I have read that the hygrometers we tend to buy and use for our grow rooms don't work accurately in our jars. Not sure where I read that but someone claimed that it was off by as much as 20%. Yikes. On the other hand, it's giving me some kind of hope that perhaps when my hygrometer was showing between 30-40 zone that it was really somewhere in the 50-60 zone.

I am probably going to get a few Cal-IVs.

Naw my understanding is once they are dead they are dead. It aint a fungus. You can still do stuff to the flowers humidity wise to make them smoke better. At 62 it isn't the ideal for smoking. So when you are done curing I like to dry a bit.

There is much to be said about using CO2 in the curing as that helps speed up the anaerobic process. But in the end you gotta find out what works for you. I can't count how many ways I have read to do it.

Not everyone washes their flowers at harvest. So things vary.

Naw my understanding is once they are dead they are dead. It aint a fungus. You can still do stuff to the flowers humidity wise to make them smoke better. At 62 it isn't the ideal for smoking. So when you are done curing I like to dry a bit.

There is much to be said about using CO2 in the curing as that helps speed up the anaerobic process. But in the end you gotta find out what works for you. I can't count how many ways I have read to do it.

Not everyone washes their flowers at harvest. So things vary.

Ahh bummer on both accounts, I already ordered the 62s over the 49s. Oh well I guess they'll be there for the next harvest. I tend to like my stuff pretty dry so I was worried about 62% sounding a little high.

Yeah I think I might have read just about every way available to cure one can find on the internet in the last few days lol I heard about the CO2 stuff, interesting idea. I wonder why a person couldn't just vacuum seal it with one of those food-saver machines. I guess because of the composition and off-gasing?

I actually read one guy, not sure if I can mention the forum, but he was saying the best way to do it was to dry them out as quickly as possible until they're so dry they will crumble to dust, and then re-hydrate them to atmospheric conditions. You can bet that thread ruffled some feathers.

I think I may just be feeling a little bit of that "Grass is greener on the other side" sentimentality. I mean I've liked the last few times I cured the way I normally do so I should just enjoy my stuff, but I just can't help but think that it could be better. For all I know though, maybe I wouldn't even like the flavor of my bud fully cured.

Don't feel bad. I ordered weed from Tweed (Canadian big shot LP) their weed was garbage and they're using (ruining) DNA Genetics from Amsterdam. I ran a sample through the GC and it came back 21.5% THC with 98% of that THC being THC-A. They didn't even bother to cure it. Made my face tingle and my heart race. In no way "medical cannabis". Def not worth the $79 CAD for 5 grams.
Rushed weed is crap weed.
This is how it arrived at my door.
420-magazine-mobile1385039246.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Don't feel bad. I ordered weed from Tweed (Canadian big shot LP) their weed was garbage and they're using (ruining) DNA Genetics from Amsterdam. I ran a sample through the GC and it came back 21.5% THC with 98% of that THC being THC-A. They didn't even bother to cure it. Made my face tingle and my heart race. In no way "medical cannabis". Def not worth the $79 CAD for 5 grams.
Rushed weed is crap weed.
This is how it arrived at my door.
420-magazine-mobile1385039246.jpg

What a coincidence that's what I got from a local rec store, Lemon Skunk. It's not so good from them either lol

So wait you have a gas chromatograph?

Ya. An older SRI 8610c with FID. I purchased it because there will be a huge demand for experienced cannabis growers who can follow the new Canadian Government's rules for producing cannabis commercially and a GC is an essential tool for lab quality production. Plus with a degree in BioTech I figure I'd be a good candidate to apply. I got it for $2000 and set it up for using the 3 in one Cannabis standard (THC, CBD, CBN) I'm looking to add another column so I can run terpene analysis. The standards from ResTek are kinda pricey and the column for Terps is $680 US. but Im applying for a LP to produce large amounts when it goes legal in Canada next spring and a GC was a good investment IMO. it's a long process getting all the equipment, legal documentation, applications, fees and there's still no actual legislation here in Canada.
For now I'm limited to ACMPR counselling for cannabis horticulture and analytics for LP's (Licensed Producers). I'm allowed one client at a time and the paperwork is ridiculous.
Whole systems a mess right now.

Ya. An older SRI 8610c with FID. I purchased it because there will be a huge demand for experienced cannabis growers who can follow the new Canadian Government's rules for producing cannabis commercially and a GC is an essential tool for lab quality production. Plus with a degree in BioTech I figure I'd be a good candidate to apply. I got it for $2000 and set it up for using the 3 in one Cannabis standard (THC, CBD, CBN) I'm looking to add another column so I can run terpene analysis. The standards from ResTek are kinda pricey and the column for Terps is $680 US. but Im applying for a LP to produce large amounts when it goes legal in Canada next spring and a GC was a good investment IMO. it's a long process getting all the equipment, legal documentation, applications, fees and there's still no actual legislation here in Canada.
For now I'm limited to ACMPR counselling for cannabis horticulture and analytics for LP's (Licensed Producers). I'm allowed one client at a time and the paperwork is ridiculous.
Whole systems a mess right now.

Testing is big business in its own right. Thats probably because it all requires testing before being sold in stores. It costs like 60-70 bucks a sample. So yeah I bet that it will pay itself off quickly.

Back
Top Bottom