Curing RH Vs Smoking RH?

GigaGrew

its my understanding that curing goes very well at around 62% humidity, but the primary job of curing is to improve the quality of the bud and not so much the potency.

i also understand that wet weed is weak.

so then, this leads me to ask...ive cured it for a month at 62% humidity...now what humidity to i drop it too for smoking. and the context im asking i believe is to do with converting thca into thc. at what humidity is weed at its most potent?

Right now at this very moment, your weed is pobably as strong as it will be. Time and light will only degrade it from this point on. Keep your RH exactly where it is. You should have a really good cure going and it can be smoked at any time. No need for any kind of change to RH. Store it in stable dark area, like a closet or dresser drawer. Storing and letting it cure for more months will only make it a smoother smoke. But, the potency will slowly start to slip over time (not that noticable).

sorry muttt but this one time i think your wrong (even though everything your saying is pretty much right)
Right now at this very moment, your weed is pobably as strong as it will be.

inside a freshly cut bud there is thc and thc-a. thc-a is of no use to us, but when it dries it loses its acid status and becomes thc.

i do not believe that this conversion happens to its maximum potential at curing humidity, but what i dont know is the dryest you need to get the bud for total conversion. =/

gig go to how to cure section in the FAQs and then the second page there is a post there that will give you a few answers but 62% should be the steady rh you want for the whole storage and curing process:)
this is my brain work for the week hope it helps:)

thanks fish, but thats not the question ;)

62% is a great number to cure and the cure proccess is well documented.
the question is to do with thca conversion.

we know that wet weed isnt very strong and that dry weed is more potent.
so the question becomes at what RH is does pot reach its maximum potential in thca to thc conversion.

i mean is ewed at 10% humidity stronger than the same weed thats never experienced belowe 20% humidity.....

i know that 62% humidity is not the optimal for this, the number is lower =)

thanks fish, but thats not the question ;)

62% is a great number to cure and the cure proccess is well documented.
the question is to do with thca conversion.

we know that wet weed isnt very strong and that dry weed is more potent.
so the question becomes at what RH is does pot reach its maximum potential in thca to thc conversion.

i mean is ewed at 10% humidity stronger than the same weed thats never experienced belowe 20% humidity.....

i know that 62% humidity is not the optimal for this, the number is lower =)

ok then did you also read the first post on page 1?
I was just looking around and thought thatthis reminded me of your thread and saw some intresting things that would help:)
I think it was stated that 50 to 60% was actually optimal and would help with the chemical reactions from thc cbd and cbg.
more or less thats what I thought you were looking for:thumb:

Going to be hard to test with out the use of gas chromatography confirmation, which can only be done in a lab at the various stages of humidity controlled storage/curing.

If thc- a degrades over time through the storage/curing process to become thc, that would suggest their is an optimal curing time !

but that may not be true GiG I also read in the FAQs section on curing that they claimed it did increase thc levels.
now I have no scientific fact I can only go with what was posted by a staff writer:)

i dont disagree at all. there are multiple aspects to thca conversion
for example they say that thca is instantly decarboxilated when you smoke it. but what was harder to find was statements about how much and it turns out not all gets converted.
which means there is room for improvement and such improvements come from humidity reduction, carboxylation over time/temprature e.t.c

so from that aspect there is some natural over time conversion going on during the cure.

so basically
lets say that smoking manages to activate 50%
and curing manages to convert a further 20%
that stll leaves upto a 30% conversion possible through humidity control

ok those numbers are just made up, but you can see where im coming from =)

i have read the curing guide in the faq a couple of times in the past, but i admit to not reading it since my new understandings, i will get round to reading it again in full over the next few days =)

:)cool there isnt much left of that brain cell and I got a big critter to finish:):cool:

oh yeah see you next month when I find another:)

do you think a cure is going to help this
CROPED_PHOTO.jpg
?

the more you starve and drought your baby before you chop her head off the less cure she should need to get a really good taste and dry out thoroughly.

and i found out something vital apparently towards taste. we are suppose to cut the stem in the night cycle, in the dark before any lights tell the plant its daytime...something to do with all the fluids resting in the roots instead of the plant at night, makes it taste and cure nicer =)

I stoped feeding teusday and wont pluck her till the end of the month. she should be clean by then:)

interesting thread. I bought a small hygrometer that would fit in my jars just to experiment with. I found that the steps I took fell into line with the RH %'s brought up here and from past threads. I don't use it anymore. It all flows... I have many strains, they do not cure the same. I was actually thinking about recording %'s for each strain then realized that was a fools mission. What I find is the best way to tell how the buds are is to touch and pinch slightly. During the cure I may take a bud to smoke. I will put that bud out to dry before I smoke it. The way I tell it is ready is by feel, it may take a few minutes or hours. At that point it will be at its best. I don't dry a bunch at once but what I might suggest it that you cure then take enough to test RH, dry to the point it is perfect for smoking, when ready pop in a jar with a hygrometer and it will give you the target smoking RH for that strain. I wager it will validate the info above at 50-60% Where the breakdown occurs exactly will be different for each strain and as stated will need to tested repeatedly with gear out of my price range :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom