Curing: Smell?

So I guess I will buy some boveda 58 as I intend to store them only.
Strange as it seems, I don't smoke even though I grow. It is to pay rent and to make my brother happy when he drops by for a visit. ;))

i know for me personally, after 20 years on the black market im done with all that crap, the stuff that i grow i dont smoke very much of.
i dont know if its just me, but the black market mersh i used to smoke all day all the time and it just didnt do much.
the stuff i grew on the other hand, i take 2-3 tokes and im toast, and its weird how i dont have the urge to smoke more.
i dont know if i just am older and dont feel like smoking as much, or the stuff i grow is so much fresher and better that i can only handle smoking once a day.
either way i like where i am at now, less stress for the most part and dont talk to a whole bunch of riff raff like i used to in the past

my first grow i couldn't get rid of that cut grass/hay smell. I dried and cured wrong. Still smokeable but harsh. Since these guys told me about boveda i have no issues
Nickystickybuds.. absolutely grass/hay smell.. really was aweful, but its smelling so sweet now.. nearly 3 months curing and still going :slide:

Strange as it seems, I don't smoke even though I grow. It is to pay rent and to make my brother happy when he drops by for a visit. ;))
:rofl: I dont smoke either NamTran.. grow for the absolute facination of these amazing plans and my sons reaping the rewards lol. Disadvantage is that I never really know how good the grow has been :bongrip:

So from what i gather, and correct me if im wrong here, when you first chop the plant the flowers are still “living” and when the initial drying is taking place, the flower itself, or microbes in the flower, are still feeding off of the chloryphyl left in the leaf material of the bud.

these microbes or the flower, stop living when the bud goes lower than 60ish % rh

the goal you are looking for when drying is to slow the process of lowering the rh % of the bud to 60 as slow as possible to allow these flowers’ microbes the maximum amount of time to eat all the chloryphyll left in the buds, make sense?

but theres a catch. not only is the flower living, theres also mold spores present everywhere, unless you are working in a 100% sterile enviroment (doubt that) so you have to strike a balance of bringing the moisture down to an acceptable level, while doing it fast enough to keep the moisture to a level where the mold growth cannot take place.

i think common knowledge at this point is about a week to a week and a half for the initial hang dry. the initial hang dry should get the rh % of the bud to around 67-70%
this is drying

at that point you want to get the buds into jars or cvaults and as slowly as possible remove the rest of the moisture to get it to around 60-62% (hence the boveda 62% packs) to keep for short term storage.
this part is the initial curing stage where you burp the jars every day or two or whatever.
we are still trying to remove moisture slowly to hit the 60-62% mark, but we are still trying to do it fast enough that mold doesnt have a chance to grow.
remember mold likes stagnant old air, so the more we can exchange air, the less chance of mold, but once again, the more we change air, the faster we dry
this is curing

once we can get to the 60-62% mark, we can use boveda 58% pack for long term storage (year or more) at that humidity you wont have to worry about mold growing. this is not curing, this is storing

sorry for the long post, if im wrong here someone let me know, but i partly typed this up so i can cement the knowledge for myself in my head. hopefully someone else will find it useful, i know theres alot of posts about drying, but sometimes its hard to find a single post that sums up the entire process.

bovedas are great, dont get me wrong i have them as well. but remember if you use them to rehydrate ( going up in rh%) you are going to taste the RO water that is used in the pack as osmosis effect puts moisture back into your weed.
ideally you want the bovedas to bring the rh% down, not bring back up, so be careful about drying too quickly.
once the flower has essentially died and dried, there is no way to revive the microbes that will eat the chloryphyll again
Great post.. informative thank you Hdinkleman :thanks:

Nickystickybuds.. absolutely grass/hay smell.. really was aweful, but its smelling so sweet now.. nearly 3 months curing and still going :slide:
If u have the time can you tell me how youve done it. Ive got a nice grow that im halfway through and want it to be perfect. My problem was/is. The drying.

If u have the time can you tell me how youve done it. Ive got a nice grow that im halfway through and want it to be perfect. My problem was/is. The drying.
Hey Nicky.. also my fist time.. asked a lot of questions and got some amazing advice. added an image of a schedule I followed and it seems to have worked out great for me.. They drying for me was and still is a tricky one. Longer is better so they say and anything from 7/10 days (correct me if I am wrong pls members). Didn't do anything special as I come from a very warm climate and really I felt it dried slightly to quick for what I would have prefered, but it was not crispy so all worked out well. One thing I did not need was a fan in the room, used a fan for one day to get out the initial moisture as I washed the buds, but please dont follow my lead there as I do not know your conditions. Good luck.. plenty of knowledge in here and I am sure you will get loads more info :bongrip:
BURPING SCHEDULE.jpg

Hey Nicky.. also my fist time.. asked a lot of questions and got some amazing advice. added an image of a schedule I followed and it seems to have worked out great for me.. They drying for me was and still is a tricky one. Longer is better so they say and anything from 7/10 days (correct me if I am wrong pls members). Didn't do anything special as I come from a very warm climate and really I felt it dried slightly to quick for what I would have prefered, but it was not crispy so all worked out well. One thing I did not need was a fan in the room, used a fan for one day to get out the initial moisture as I washed the buds, but please dont follow my lead there as I do not know your conditions. Good luck.. plenty of knowledge in here and I am sure you will get loads more info :bongrip:
See how you have your jars all stacked up nice and neat? After my first grow when I did that it made it all worth it.:D

i know for me personally, after 20 years on the black market im done with all that crap, the stuff that i grow i dont smoke very much of.
i dont know if its just me, but the black market mersh i used to smoke all day all the time and it just didnt do much.
the stuff i grew on the other hand, i take 2-3 tokes and im toast, and its weird how i dont have the urge to smoke more.
i dont know if i just am older and dont feel like smoking as much, or the stuff i grow is so much fresher and better that i can only handle smoking once a day.
either way i like where i am at now, less stress for the most part and dont talk to a whole bunch of riff raff like i used to in the past
Older :hookah:

I wet trim and dry in nets. I personally feel that if you wet trim and dry All similar size nugs they dry more evenly. The time to dry is all related to the Rh in the drying room. Higher Rh obviously will take longer. That's the tricky part is keeping a eye on room condition and seeing how fast it's drying. After I'm happy with the drying process I jar them up with 58% packs and I keep burping daily for a week or so. Then when I feel it's stable enough to not burp anymore I replace the packs with fresh ones. Been doing it this way for 5+years with no issues. I only use 62's if I accidentally over dried. The goal is low and slow. Some here put in paper bags and dry in fridge. I've never tried it but I think it would work

I wet trim and dry in nets. I personally feel that if you wet trim and dry All similar size nugs they dry more evenly. The time to dry is all related to the Rh in the drying room. Higher Rh obviously will take longer. That's the tricky part is keeping a eye on room condition and seeing how fast it's drying. After I'm happy with the drying process I jar them up with 58% packs and I keep burping daily for a week or so. Then when I feel it's stable enough to not burp anymore I replace the packs with fresh ones. Been doing it this way for 5+years with no issues. I only use 62's if I accidentally over dried. The goal is low and slow. Some here put in paper bags and dry in fridge. I've never tried it but I think it would work
Dankman.. had a few members suggest wet trim as I am not able to go longer than 7 days before jarring them.. I am def going to give it a try this season, and the B62.. definately on my list to get this winter :thanks:

Search around for the slow drying in a refrigerator. I think maybe drziggy had a thread on it, not sure. I'm going to try a sample size of that process next time. Wet or dry is all preference really. I've done both and I just perfer wet. It's all for my personal use so I figure as long as I'm happy I do what works for me :)

Search around for the slow drying in a refrigerator. I think maybe drziggy had a thread on it, not sure. I'm going to try a sample size of that process next time. Wet or dry is all preference really. I've done both and I just perfer wet. It's all for my personal use so I figure as long as I'm happy I do what works for me :)
Will have a look now.. thats also worth a try.. as you say sample maybe :laugh: I dry trimmed last season and never done wet but it was recommended to maybe slow down my drying time.. hopefully it works

when you get them do a side -by -side (with/without) you will see how the packs work (they steal taste) you will see BUT they do kweep RH at specific amounts (give up one for another) don't ut many because you willot use them once your sidebyside is done !!

Back
Top Bottom