Curing

Doo

They say pack the Crown Sealer full of buds but not compressed. How much goes into a large Crown container? 1 oz per jar? 1/2 oz per jar?
Need this for planning. How many will I need to buy?

We call them Mason Jars...and depends on how big you can get them. I use 1/2 gallon jars and I fill them full...not cramming, but full...so it's usually 1.5-2oz. I dry my buds on a mesh hanging rack for a week prior and get them to where they are dry on the outside but still bendy/sticky when I feel them. I use Boveda 62% (60gr) packs in each large jar and this allows me to comfortably know the relative humidity is going to be in the ideal range for curing (60-65%). I don't burp, but I do check them every other day for the first week after they are in the jar. Invest in a cheap humidity gauge ($10) and stick it in the jars when they are full and get the reading...if it is above 70% you need to dry it more.

:goodluck:

We call them Mason Jars...and depends on how big you can get them. I use 1/2 gallon jars and I fill them full...not cramming, but full...so it's usually 1.5-2oz. I dry my buds on a mesh hanging rack for a week prior and get them to where they are dry on the outside but still bendy/sticky when I feel them. I use Boveda 62% (60gr) packs in each large jar and this allows me to comfortably know the relative humidity is going to be in the ideal range for curing (60-65%). I don't burp, but I do check them every other day for the first week after they are in the jar. Invest in a cheap humidity gauge ($10) and stick it in the jars when they are full and get the reading...if it is above 70% you need to dry it more.

:goodluck:
I thought burping allowed out the moisture, you dry on racks more?

I thought burping allowed out the moisture, you dry on racks more?
Burping does allow moisture out...but I think that was a method developed pre-Boveda packs. Burping allows you also to check on the cure 2x a day for the first week (or two)...many just dry it to reasonable % (60-66) and put in with the Boveda. The most critical element (imo) to remove in the drying process is the chlorophyll...this will mess with the flavor. I dry my buds on the mesh hanger in my root cellar (which averages 55-60% Rh and 55-60F and is dark) for a week..this allows the buds a nice slow dry to where I can be confident the chlorophyll is gone...also avoids a common mistake of overdrying...which is harder to fix than under drying.

Burping does allow moisture out...but I think that was a method developed pre-Boveda packs. Burping allows you also to check on the cure 2x a day for the first week (or two)...many just dry it to reasonable % (60-66) and put in with the Boveda. The most critical element (imo) to remove in the drying process is the chlorophyll...this will mess with the flavor. I dry my buds on the mesh hanger in my root cellar (which averages 55-60% Rh and 55-60F and is dark) for a week..this allows the buds a nice slow dry to where I can be confident the chlorophyll is gone...also avoids a common mistake of overdrying...which is harder to fix than under drying.
Thank You, great info. I understand now.
Don

Hmm I just read that drying out in the open releases the terpenes (smell) that is so lovely on the growing plant. My earlier topped buds that I dried outside, probably a bit too long as it was warm, and then jarred in the fridge for a week, don't have much smell to them sadly. How are yours turning out? I will dry the next ones shorter time outside and then fridge (no other cool place to put them, wish I had a dedicated fridge)

Too dry? I have a hygrometer to test moisture. Takes the guessing out of the equation. If it is too dry, try a Boveda 62% Humid Pak. Will gently take care of buds.

I'll see where I can find those packs and the digital humidity gauge, though my approach so far is just to go with the flow...my own personal use so no $$ at stake here. So far I have simply jarred the buds and put them in the fridge where it is dark and cool, burping them every day. What I have sampled so far might be a bit fresh but is a very nice smoke, no headache just good times :)

Have got two stems drying (hanging) outside, though in shade - and what with the smoke coverage we have in BC I am wondering if that will affect the flavor. Guess I will have to spend the fall and winter sampling these buds to figure it out!

One thing is for sure, next year I will have more confidence and be more organized to get stuff really growing. Quality not quantity.

BTW this site rocks and gives me a new appreciation for growing skills. Also I recognize that even some purchased buds over the years were sub-par based on smell and result of curing. Nasty flavours, headache, bad after-effects. But when you are desperate for some and all there was available is dial-a-dope you take what you can get. I remember one dealer laughing when I asked what kind of weed it was, said 'it will get you high', which it did, but... you know what I mean.

I'll see where I can find those packs and the digital humidity gauge, though my approach so far is just to go with the flow...my own personal use so no $$ at stake here. So far I have simply jarred the buds and put them in the fridge where it is dark and cool, burping them every day. What I have sampled so far might be a bit fresh but is a very nice smoke, no headache just good times :)

Have got two stems drying (hanging) outside, though in shade - and what with the smoke coverage we have in BC I am wondering if that will affect the flavor. Guess I will have to spend the fall and winter sampling these buds to figure it out!

One thing is for sure, next year I will have more confidence and be more organized to get stuff really growing. Quality not quantity.
Both items are available on Amazon. Priced right and fast delivery. You don't need the gauge but it takes out guesswork. I like that. You guess if it is ready to harvest. If a pro walked in and said Definately add two more weeks or you loose a part of your volume. Then? Now you know for sure it is ready to burn. If you screwed up any where along curing, the packs help and slow down/stop mold.

Hey Hay. Ha. Right on with the conversion. I have heard .75 to 1.25 oz. per jar 80% full.

Back
Top Bottom