Curiosity about breeding

Hey all hope everyone is doing well. So I've been running this idea in my head for about a week now and I think I want to create my own strain as something to do on the side. So I understand the basic idea behind pollinating and crossing strains through isolation... But I was wondering if I grew a male photo and then used it's pollen (presuming I get a male) to pollinate a femenized auto would that result in femenized auto seeds? Or does that make random genetics like some auto...some photo....some both<---if that's even a thing? Any info would be appreciated.

Currently I have 16 lemon Haze x dosido regular seeds and about 12 mixed auto flower seeds.

Hey all hope everyone is doing well. So I've been running this idea in my head for about a week now and I think I want to create my own strain as something to do on the side. So I understand the basic idea behind pollinating and crossing strains through isolation... But I was wondering if I grew a male photo and then used it's pollen (presuming I get a male) to pollinate a femenized auto would that result in femenized auto seeds? Or does that make random genetics like some auto...some photo....some both<---if that's even a thing? Any info would be appreciated.

Currently I have 16 lemon Haze x dosido regular seeds and about 12 mixed auto flower seeds.

feminised seed is created through a self-pollination process using silver thiosulfate or collodial silver to first reverse on part of a female plant.

auto plants are created through breeding in a ruderalis to the gene line.

feminized auto is seed from an auto female that has had sts or cs treatment.

edit : in your example you get some ruderalis expression, though maybe not enough to make it auto. and they will be regs. meaning there will be both male and female seed.

feminised seed is created through a self-pollination process using silver thiosulfate or collodial silver to first reverse on part of a female plant.

auto plants are created through breeding in a ruderalis to the gene line.

feminized auto is seed from an auto female that has had sts or cs treatment.

edit : in your example you get some ruderalis expression, though maybe not enough to make it auto. and they will be regs. meaning there will be both male and female seed.
Ok cool... So they may pick up some ruderalis genes but would never have the style of an auto like grow without a specific light schedule? And would a photo having a small amount of the ruderalis gene effect the photo strain negatively, since autos don't need 12/12 and photos do...would that make higher chance for Hermie? Sorry for the questions I've read up but alot of the info uses extra specific words and is technical...I need it simplified a bit lol

Hi HH - As I understand it the strains are back-crossed multiple times until a genetically stable balance is formed
Good luck
Yup alot of places Ive read say it could take up to 10-15 times back and forth crossing before a stable genetic could be found....so this may be a down the road experiment.

Yup alot of places Ive read say it could take up to 10-15 times back and forth crossing before a stable genetic could be found....so this may be a down the road experiment.

there are loads of folk who make their own hobby seeds on the board. there are also ongoing sts and cs threads.

As I understand it the strains are back-crossed multiple times until a genetically stable balance is formed

there have even been popular commercial strains pulled due to not being stable.

As I understand it the f1 seeds from a photo crossed with an auto are fast flowering, and the f2 seeds would be a mix of auto, fast, and standard flowering.
The auto trait is recessive and the plant needs two copies of the gene to go full auto.

As far as I know, you would get a random mixture of photo and auto genes – yes, some photo, some auto. For any given seed produced, it would produce either a photo or an auto. I supposed you could also get genetics that are "unstable," meaning it could be auto but behave a bit differently than an auto, for example late to flower. [UPDATE: See @Pat Puffer 's reply here]

I'm not a breeder (yet, ha ha), but it seems you have two possible paths – one is to create a seed strain, the other is to create a hybrid phenotype that you will clone. The first, of course, is a lot more involved and you should probably pick up a reference book, such as The Cannabis Breeder's Bible, by Greg Green (I have a copy). The second option is a lot more accessible – i.e. you can grow out your seed and see what kinds of plants and buds you get, searching for the best phenos. For photo plants, you can clone the phenos before you flower, thereby keeping the genetics of anything that turns out to be particularly good. Then keep a clone mother, or clone the clones, and you've got your new strain there.

I used a couple terms that I should clarify: "hybrid" and "strain". When I said "hybrid strain" I meant the crossing of two different cannabis varieties – i.e. pollen from a male plant of one variety, used to fertilize a female of another variety. I don't necessarily mean hybrid as in indica/sativa hybrid. I am using the generic meaning of strain, as in a genetic variant. That's what I meant when I said "you've got your new strain". It's kind of cool to realize that when you do a cross like this, you then have a hybrid plant that – through cloning – gives you stable, reproducible genetics.

First cross with an auto creates photo sensitive plants. My half autos flowered mid/late July and were done early. You need to keep finding the recessive gene expressed and keep breeding with it. The auto gene is recessive when paired with photo genes. Working a punnet square will show ya. I drew it up in my Patient's Grows thread. Jorge Cervantes says it looks logical, but in reality it's not that easy.

since it got bumped today as well

Back
Top Bottom