Curling leaves please help

Crookedfinger

This is my first one so bear with me. My plants are about 4 weeks old from seed. All but 1 look healthy. Nice dark green, seem to be growing pretty fast, (kinda hard to tell seeing as how I look at them about 3 times a day) lots of new growth. One of my plants looks healthy in every way but the larger fan leaves are beginning to curl under. They don't feel dry, no yellowing. Used miracle grow organic potting mix, perlite, and fed blood meal when transplanting about 3 weeks ago. Using 2 150 watt cfls and 1 40 watt cfl. My temp stays around 78 F. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_036212.jpg
IMG_036014.JPG

Too wet maybe. GET A FAN ON THEM. It strengthens the stem and it increases evaporation from the soil.
All that soil never dries out, so the roots have no urge or need to go anywhere to look for water

I have a fan on them indirectly to where they are moving but not too much. A little concerned about too much due to their size. I water about every 3rd or 4th day. Should I wait till I think they need water and then wait 1 more day to be safe?

Pics and your own thread.
It's all about timing!!
I too have only grown in soil, and the most common, most hard to figure out foe me was overwatering. When I first started I was all freaked out by ph.,ppm. and whatever.
Now, no micro-managing every slight detail.
Start with good soil and DOLOMITIC LIME, feed em now and then, water them when they got dry,(not when I thought they should be dry, when THEY told me they were dry.) , watch the temps, put a fan on them.
My whole family was in disbelief, couldn't believe it was that easy. Made my whole life alot easier.lol
Now I can look at them and think, It's just a plant, plants are easy to grow..

Welcome Pikkis. Quietonthe401, when you say water when they tell you they need water. Can you clarify. I have a pretty diverse garden at home (tomatoes, soy, peppers, squash, zucchini, etc. etc.) When they need water they droop and wilt. I water and within an hour they spring back to life. I checked PH on my girls and am right around 6.8-7.0 so I think thats fine. But with the leaf curl and some droop and when I stick my finger in the soil it seems pretty dry I water. Do these plants need less water than most? I'm thinking of moving to once a week watering unless they tell me otherwise. Any advice?

My plants are all rotated under my light and depending on where they are , sometimes one will dry out more/faster then the others. At least once, sometimes twice a day, I check the weight of the pots. All my plants are the same size, same pots and I know what a dry pot and a wet pot weigh, by feel. The ones that are dry,by weight, I water, the ones that still have weight, I leave an extra day or check that night.
But it is easy to get mixed up and forget a plant. That is why I always check my weights, even if I'm just buzzing out (playing) in there. More than once I have almost missed watering a single plant.
( Dry doesn't mean sahara desert dry, just dry.).
Sorry, I dont really know about watering fruiting vegetables.
Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom