Cut roots during transplanting

tk86high

So I was transplanting my 5 week old into a bigger pot as she was getting very tall , and during the process I cut some of the roots at the bottom and sides . But just a very small amount and i didnt cut any of the main root ball just some of the small roots at the bottom and sides from the root ball.

Note: this will be the 4th time I transplanted her and hopefully the last . All the last ones went very well.

Was just wondering is it possible to damage the plant because of them roots getting cut off or to slow growth down ?

Thanks.

Re: Cut roots during transplanting ...

Founds this info during my google search from a very well credited planter thought id share:

"it is my opinion that a little damage does a plant good.
if your plant is healthy and has an adequate root system for the container, the loss of less than 25-30% of the root system probably triggers a nice healing growth flush response from the plant. Overall growth is stimulated as the plant heals from the damage.

if you take more than 30%, the plant has to rely on its stored carbohydrates and cant feed itself enough to repair the injury and keep growing vigorously.

so less than 25% can speed things up or invigorate.
more than 30% damage will slow it down.

you shouldn't be afraid to do an occasional "little" damage to a healthy plant."

Re: Cut roots during transplanting ...

I root prune my long term mother plants on a regular basis, it's no big deal.

DD

Back
Top Bottom