Cuttings during 12/12

OceanicBud

Hiya people,

Possibly a hotly debated topic and there's likely a number of aged threads lingering but I'll opt for a fresh prospective.

I'm 5 days post flip into 12/12 and I'm thinking to take clones within the next week before they begin to flower.

Reason for this being timing, although I know best time to take cuttings is end of veg I am trying my first perpetual cycling (see my journal) so I can't have clones take off and veg out too quick in 5x5 veg tent during these next 7-8 weeks that flowering tent is occupied.

My limited understanding is that clone success rate may lower but with due care and extra cuttings I should be able to clone cuttings that take a while longer to to take off buying me time to finish harvest, clean & sterilize flower tent to go again.

Thoughts and recommendations based on above?

Well as long as you cut them before the flower process begins then your clones can stay in veg tent for as long as you want to keep them in there. I do this with my 4 mother plants that I use to clone from. Hoped this helped.

Look up "monster cropping", which is purposly taking clones from a flowering plant, usually recommended around day 21 of flip, which are very slow to root and reveg, but make for a incredibly unique branch development..

Such as this for example..
IMG_233713.JPG

Look up "monster cropping"

Thanks and yep I've read up on monster cropping the past few weeks. I see this option will buy me the time needed, however, there is mixed opinions on clone success rates, I like the idea of lots of branches that don't really need topping but some say these are thin / weak etc.

I'm keen to give anything a go once :)

My success rate is seeming to be about 10% taking flowering clones..

The earliest ones I took and are now growing great were low branches with many nodes. I thought I took them before flowering but I guess not, they did have preflowers..

These ones are looking like foot tall Xmas trees growing something like 10-15 branches all the way down the trunk on the alternating nodes.. Maybe not the best structure for indoor training but an impressive amount of branches growing..

I have some clones rooting that are just starting to take off which were basically branch offshoots with a node or 2 on them and a bud on the end, and maybe a bud on a node too..

I think these ones are what are going to turn into monsters like those pictures..

I'm not really doing this on purpose but it is the stock that I have to work with.. Working with what I have available and with what cuttings of girls I could take..

Clones cut from a flowering plant have a harder time rooting. Not only do they have to make roots, but they also have to go through a state of confusion where they realize they aren’t flowering anymore and reverse gears back into veg. That’s not really a problem if your cloning set up is working great.
But if you have any climbing issues like root rot problems or other things that get in the way of the clones being able to sit there for 4 or more weeks while rooting, it can be a killer.

Generally the first couple weeks of flowering is easy enough to get roots from and after that it gets progressively harder.

Thanks all, good to get a bit of extra insight and confirm a few points I suspected. I'll opt to take cuttings this week rather than 3 weeks in, still with a look to try monster cropping at some point once I dial in the tents and stronger performing girls.

Back
Top Bottom