Dabpress dp-hr10t35v 10-Ton Portable Tabletop Driptech Hydraulic Heat Press

In a Nutshell:
  • The dp-hr10t35v 10-Ton Portable Tabletop Driptech Hydraulic Heat Press Kit is well worth the investment; and
  • Dabpress provides excellent pre, and post sales support, making them a good company to do business with.
Deciding on a Rosin Press:
I was discussing rosin presses and heated plates at the local hydro store. Another brand they carried suffers from chronic plate failures. The plates are a little thinner, and break along the length of the heating element. These competitor's plates had the same general construction as the Dabpress plates, in that they have holes bored the length of the plates for the heating element. Dabpress uses thicker material for the heated plates, and they don't suffer these failures.

Many of the other rosin press plates and presses sold through the big on-line retailers seem to be poor imitations of Dabpress products. The prices for these imitaions were on par with the Dabpress products. I decided on Dabpress, but which product?

I evaluated the Dabpress offerings of Rosin Press Plates, Caged Rosin Plates, and Hydraulic Rosin Presses. The uncaged plates do have what I see as an advantage over their caged cousins and pre-built presses. As the dentist says, "Open wide." You can separate the plates further and squeeze in a taller puck. The caged plates have an advantage as they will maintain their alignment. The caged plates also offer an extra layer of support for the heated plates. These caged plates do not have to be bolted to the press. They just slip right in. This is a nice feature for those with a press.

Not having a hydraulic press in my shop, and no other use for one, I decided on a pre-built rosin press. I appreciated being able to buy one for less than a set of plates, and a separate hydraulic press. It seems only their pre-built presses have a layer of insulation between the press and the heated plates. I like that feature as well. I eliminated the presses with a bottle jack. I prefer a pressure gauge so that I can repeat successful pressings. These thoughts sold me on the Dabpress dp-hr10t35v 10-Ton Portable Tabletop Driptech Hydraulic Heat Press Kit.

There is a local place where I can buy hydraulic hand pumps. Not knowing the size of the piston in the ram, I contacted Dabpress through their website. I received a response within two days of 38mm. this corresponds to a surface area of approximately 1.75 sq in. To achieve 10 tons of force, a pressure of 11,428 PSI is required. The 10 ton hand pump available locally is only rated at 8000 PSI so the press would only develop seven tons of force. I noticed Dabpress had a hydraulic hand pump available, and asked about it. Once again I received a quick reply indicating that the pump was for another model and not suited to the dp-hr10t35v. They also sent a link to Northern Tool for the recommended Strongway pump with the hose and pressure gauge. It happened to be on sale, so I ordered it immediately. Note that this pump has a maximum working pressure of 8,939 PSI, limiting the press to 7.8 tons.

I delayed ordering the press until they activated their 4/20 sale. At that time I ordered their bundle of the dp-hr10t35v hydraulic rosin press, dp-pm3015r 30mm pre-press mold, and dp-bt160ns 40 pcs 160 micron 2" X 4" filter bags. I also ordered the PM40R 40mm pre-press mold, and BT160N2524 25 pcs 160 micron 2.5" X 4.5" filter bags.

Arrivals:
My order from Dabpress had to be shipped from China, as they had no Canadian stock. As compensation they included BT90N24 25 pcs 90 micron 2" X 4" filter bags. I incurred an extra charge of $47.32 CDN for customs clearance on this order. The order from China arrived before my order from Northern Tool in the USA, so for a few days I had a nice sculpture, and bric-a-brac to admire.

full

A Nice Sculpture, and Bric-a-Brac

Four o-rings, and two Allen bolts were included, but not on the packing list. I contacted Dabpress, and they quickly replied that these were spares. A week later my Strongway pump arrived. It was time to squeeze some flower.

full

All That's Needed to Press Flower For Rosin

Before I go on there are a few other items I needed:
  • Parchment paper - I robbed my wife's baking supplies;
  • Dab Tools, or Clay / Dental / Wax Modeling Tools - local shop, on-line retailer;
  • Silicone Storage containers - local shop, on-line retailer;
  • Scale (100 X 0.01gm) - on-hand, also used for nutrients; and
  • Clamp - from my workshop

full

I did two test pressings with Nighingale flower. This was harvested in September 2018, cured, and stored in 2 quart Mason jars with a 67gm 62% Boveda Humidity pack. The results were disappointing. I recovered 0.55 gm of rosin from 7 gm of flower. That was only 7.8% This can partly be attributed to the parchment paper soaking up some of the rosin. The rest is probably due to using poor quality flowers.

Wrap up:
If you regularly press rosin for personal use, I highly recommend this product. The dp-hr10t35v is of high quality, and well made. It operates smoothly, and is easy to set up and use. I checked the temperature settings with an infared thermometer, and it was accurate within a degree or two. There is a learning curve associated with any rosin press, and I look forward to the journey with my Dabpress dp-hr10t35v 10-Ton Portable Tabletop Driptech Hydraulic Heat Press.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous of your new setup! Maybe of your writing and formatting skills too haha. Cheers man she's a beauty, exactly the setup I have been strongly considering and will probably eventually get. Can't wait to see some more presses!

The results were disappointing. I recovered 0.55 gm of rosin from 7 gm of flower. That was only 7.8% This can partly be attributed to the parchment paper soaking up some of the rosin. The rest is probably due to using poor quality flowers.
I think people use parchment paper because it doesn’t soak up the rosin. Do you think your plates weren’t heating up properly or something? Have you had any successful presses with it? I’d be highly disappointed with those yields if it was me.

:passitleft:

I think people use parchment paper because it doesn’t soak up the rosin. Do you think your plates weren’t heating up properly or something? Have you had any successful presses with it? I’d be highly disappointed with those yields if it was me.
:passitleft:

I checked the temperature of the plates with an infared thermometer, and it was accurate within a degree or two, so the problem was not with the press. That leaves either the source material, or my procedure.

I checked the temperature of the plates with an infared thermometer, and it was accurate within a degree or two, so the problem was not with the press. That leaves either the source material, or my procedure.

I use a pre press, 2x4 in size. I just have a cheap plate set I got from amazon. I do 15 grams at a time at 220 degrees, I’m getting 30% returns now. It took about 20 presses for me to figure out, my controller is off about 75 degrees, once I got temps dialed in everything came out great

I use a pre press, 2x4 in size. I just have a cheap plate set I got from amazon. I do 15 grams at a time at 220 degrees, I’m getting 30% returns now. It took about 20 presses for me to figure out, my controller is off about 75 degrees, once I got temps dialed in everything came out great

You must have very good feed stock.

You must have very good feed stock.
Yea I’ve been buying some genetics, I’ll get 30% or more on every inhouse genetics crosses. I’ve spent way too much on beans, I got almost 500 different strains. I’ve been looking at getting a new press, been looking at the low temp plates, he has a nice all in one kit similar to one you did review on. Except his is $1800 with 20 ton bva cylinder and hand pump. Those BVA low profile rams are nice but expensive, around $800 just for ram and hand pump. I just don’t know if I want to put that much $ into it, I don’t press too much but just bought a dr Dabber switch, it hits like a beast, way better than the puffco peak.

Thanks for the write up :Namaste::lot-o-toke:

Nice review Old Salt. I have been wanting to jump into a press myself lately. I have a lot of research to do first but your review helped. What should I expect to invest to get a decent all in one unit? I have seen entry level presses starting at just a couple hundred and others that are a couple thousand... I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for so I don't intend to invest in a unit that will leave me dissatisfied. Any pointers that you would go back in time to tell yourself when you were shopping around and researching presses?

Nice review Old Salt. I have been wanting to jump into a press myself lately. I have a lot of research to do first but your review helped. What should I expect to invest to get a decent all in one unit? I have seen entry level presses starting at just a couple hundred and others that are a couple thousand... I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for so I don't intend to invest in a unit that will leave me dissatisfied. Any pointers that you would go back in time to tell yourself when you were shopping around and researching presses?

I'd skip the 40mm pre-press mold, and 2-1/2" filter bags. I'd upgrade to the three piece 30mm aluminum pre-press mold, and get some 25 micron filter bags.

If you already have a hydraulic press, or have another use for one, just get the caged plates. If you can do without the pressure gauge, go for the six ton press. I like the gauge, as I can repeat successful presses. All I need with my press is 5000 PSI for two 7gm pucks at once.

I was going to say the same thing @Old Salt It’s my opinion that the press you have is in the “top shelf” category of desktop models. I love my press and the Caged Plates from Dab Press, but it’s huge, and many times I wish I could sit at my table and smash weed...with a psi gauge.

@Greenlizard you can’t go wrong with a press of this caliber. IMO, budgeting between $600-$1000 USD is not unreasonable for a press that will last and that you will be happy with. I use my press at least once or twice a week. Sometimes more...because I can.

Take a look at the Rosin link in my signature. It’s a long thread, but jump in anytime.

Back
Top Bottom