Dakine Real Maui Wowie In The Midwest

That's like 6 weeks difference though. It was a 60 day veg, had sacs on the "early male" for over a month. Which surprised me to be honest.
The new sacs just started after the flip

My male showed before I flipped. My nanner showed on my girl way into the flower stage. I picked off the 2 nanners and have had no more. My girl is speeding along faster than my last sativas did. I thought maybe because I I vegged at 14/10.
These seeds appear not to be very stable. I still like how my girl is turning out though.

Now when you grow the next generation you can select for whatever traits you like. Then work to stabilize them.
Agreed PW. I think what we may have here is a sativa "wild child in-the-rough". I doubt these folks have a professional operation geared towards ensuring this strain is perpetuated, and ...quite frankly...purified. I think their intent may be there, but they lack the knowledge and experience to make it happen. I'd hate to think we our losing our landrace genetics. :(

Or most likely they do open pollination to preserve the genetic integrity so you'll get the bad with the good. That's actually a good thing if you want to save the original genetics then make your on selections .

Or most likely they do open pollination to preserve the genetic integrity so you'll get the bad with the good. That's actually a good thing if you want to save the original genetics then make your on selections .
That would actually explain what we are seeing, too.

That’s a good perspective to take PW

I was checking in on the Pua Mana seedbank insta earlier and here’s a recent post they made - seems they’re all about the stability :hmmmm:

DA72A746-BD8C-4456-A8D5-AFB335660201.png
885A52D9-C1BA-4E81-8256-DA8F5C472E3C.png

So maybe they’re having some genetic testing done themselves and that’s why we should ‘stay tuned’

Incidentally - y’all may have seen theses already so apologies if so - this is their Maui Wowie image. For comparison reference :Namaste:
3B20762C-6386-4D81-B9D3-7226D48C688C.png

Indeed we will!

- was very synchronous ...I literally read that this morning right before coming here and seeing the posts about variation, so I had to share it :)

I don’t see that kind of variation when folks are growing out other landraces - not so much anyway.

When are you running yours PW?

I'm giving it a few days to verify male vs hermie. If it is a male I'll slide it to the edge of the tent for a week or two and then cull him after collecting pollen, I've already harvested some from the early male so I'll keep them separated and maybe hit some more of the other strains with it depending on how these first three crosses turn out.

These are an open pollination run, per your suggestion lol so I have not removed the male yet, I was waiting till 2nd week of flower to pull him
Looking great in there!! I'm so jealous your doing the thing man!

"Open pollination usually means letting the beans do there things like that. but and typically for preservation that means multiple males. Mainly because you don't want a harem (or is it pride?) of female plants pollinated by a single male with a hidden weakness. Best to get the good bad ugly as well as beautiful in seed form and store them proper because until we can map a genome and say for 100% it's resistant to every type of pest or mold around the world I wouldn't limit a preservation project to a single male. My 2c on preservation vs selection.
I personally want to do some projects like this but not the room. I will just be chosing a male and rolling the dice when I breed but that's the risk. My whole line could be wiped out by a crazy bug in 2025 or something lol.

Man,

I'm giving it a few days to verify male vs hermie. If it is a male I'll slide it to the edge of the tent for a week or two and then cull him after collecting pollen, I've already harvested some from the early male so I'll keep them separated and maybe hit some more of the other strains with it depending on how these first three crosses turn out.

I'm so envious but watching close my friend. Do that thing!!
My "males" turned into girls every damn time lately i've been wrong... so until I see bushel of 3 sacks or more and no more early pistil = strong female thinking (my 13 may be a herm:( We'll see ) Verify that herm man, the more we can get rid of that bi-sexuality that is rampant in Sativa genetics the better.

Oh - - and turbo (forgot why I dropped in in the first place cause that distracted me ;) ) ... I was thinking that if you have somewhere else to put that second fella, you could collect his pollen and use it later... just a thought...

Amy has a great idea. I just don't know the ins and outs of pollen collection :( I know who does though...ehem...;)

Have a great day all, doing the thing Turbo and taking names, cannot wait to see what you do with the progeny and holy cow is that stuff frosty!! Looking at those IG pics

It's looking like a male rather than a Hermie. I was hoping for two males to help mitigate some of the downfalls of a shallow Gene pool. So I'll be excited if it is an actual male. One male, one early male, 4 good females and that freaky monster should be a good enough population to keep things Maui atleast. It's helped me learn more about how these plants develop so not worthless even if the seeds are.

Back
Top Bottom