Dank86's Hempy SOG - 8 Strains - One Box - 2011

Re: Dank86's Hempy SOG-8 Strains - One Box - 2011

Hey dank im gonna climb inside with yous! Everything looks amazing ! Its gonna be a jungle in that box my man!

Hey Dank,

I was thinking if I ever tried growing in a closet or room to get some sort of large tray and drain it into a bucket.

Or one of those washing machine over flow trays and draining that to a bucket.

This is exactly what I've been thinking, but I just don't have the head room to make it work. In order to get the drain res to drain into a bucket, it would need to be at least as high as the bucket is tall. Until I'm in a better spot I'll just have to stick with the labor-some task of draining by hand. That hempy bucket is getting so heavy now that I can't lift it by myself!

Hey dank im gonna climb inside with yous! Everything looks amazing ! Its gonna be a jungle in that box my man!

Welcome aboard! It's good to have some semblance of an audience to keep me motivated as far as posting updates is concerned. With that said:

7 out 8 plants have shown pistils, with only one keeping me waiting, the Critical+. Only one of those 7 females is showing signs of hermie, which is the SAGE plant. It will be an unfortunate loss, as the SAGE has excellent side branching and cloning potential.

Blue Widow, Kandy Kush, and Pineapple Express are definitely the stars of the show. All 3 showed pistils early, are the tallest and have the thickest stems. Side branching on all 3 is also very healthy.

Here's a few shots of the cab with the HPS off:
July_16.jpg
July_16-3.jpg
July_16-2.jpg

I did just install a very small (11.75"X5") cool tube reflector, which isn't in these pics. I'll post some pics with the cool tube in a few days, assuming it does its job of keeping the temps way down.

Thanks for popping in as always!

Just to show the power of hydroponic techniques, here are update photos taken 24 hours after the last update.

July_17_side.jpg
July_17_overhead.jpg

And a shot of the new cool tube:
July_17_cooltube.jpg

By some stroke of luck, all 8 babies are females and a few have started some serious pistil production. Now, lets see if it stays that way.

look great dude ! should i say congratulations on the 8 females or not :laughtwo: ?
i wana see some more pics ! :)

Have you had any root bound issues with so many plants in such a small area??:high-five:

look great dude ! should i say congratulations on the 8 females or not :laughtwo: ?
i wana see some more pics ! :)

Congratulations indeed. I don't mind the extra work for the extra reward.

Welcome aboard, btw. More pictures soon, that ladies are going into full bloom!

Have you had any root bound issues with so many plants in such a small area??:high-five:

No root bound issues, yet. According to my calculations, which are based upon the needs for a single plants root space, given a 2 week veg and finishing at 14-16" tall, while producing approx. 1oz (about 2 gallons of root space), there should be plenty of room for all 8 plants. The tub is 20 gallons, which gives each plant exactly 2.5 gallons of space to work with.

While I don't expect any root bound issues, only time will tell. I've seen 20 plants done this way in a tall 20 gallon trash can, 12/12 from seed, so I think I'm safe.

Thanks for stopping by willoby!

Update for all the picture whores.

35 days old: 19 days of flower

July_20_family.jpg
July_20_side.jpg
July_20_overhead.jpg
July_20_family_2.jpg

Pineapple Express budshot

July_20_PE_bud.jpg

PPM feed is up to around 550 of Tigerbloom, micro additive and a splash of h202. pH is right at 6 going in, and I haven't allowed for any runoff, as I've only been feeding 1 gallon every other day. I may bump that to 2 gallons every 3 or 4 days for this watering to see if there is a growth spurt with more water. Temps are hanging out around 80-84 at the canopy, which is perfectly fine for flower as long as the RH is above 30-35 and the medium stays fairly cool to prevent root rot.

All in all, everything has gone perfectly with this experimental hempy grow. Assuming none of the girls hermie, the harvest should be bountiful (6oz or more). The biggest problem has been an uneven canopy, which was completely expected with 8 different strains. Lots of pruning of fan leaves has cured that problem.

Hi Dank,

I'm researching Hempy grows. Think I might try this next. Did you say you were going to take clones from this grow? I'm a new grower...I thought I read you're suppose to take clones before they flower.

Can I get a little more detail on the hydro/hempy thing? I don't quite understand...you put a growing vessel inside a bigger container for catching the run off, you put drain holes into the grow vessel higher than the bottom, is that so some of the water stays in the bottom of the grow vessel? And if you don't water enough to have any run off whats the point?

Obviously I need to keep researching, this is only the third hempy thread I've visited so far and all are different. Sorry if I sound like an idiot...I'm confused.:hmmmm:

Did you clone yet? That may help canopy issues. Otherwise, don't be afraid of supercropping.

Hi Dank,

I'm researching Hempy grows. Think I might try this next. Did you say you were going to take clones from this grow? I'm a new grower...I thought I read you're suppose to take clones before they flower.

Can I get a little more detail on the hydro/hempy thing? I don't quite understand...you put a growing vessel inside a bigger container for catching the run off, you put drain holes into the grow vessel higher than the bottom, is that so some of the water stays in the bottom of the grow vessel? And if you don't water enough to have any run off whats the point?

Obviously I need to keep researching, this is only the third hempy thread I've visited so far and all are different. Sorry if I sound like an idiot...I'm confused.:hmmmm:

Clones are much healthier if taken in veg. They can easily be taken in flower, but must be re-vegged, which is stressful and has a higher casualty rate. Some people grow perpetually by taking flowering clones (up to 3 weeks old) and re-vegging them to maturity, then repeating the cycle. With that said, I decided not to take clones for circumstantial reasons.

Hempy is a brilliant passive-hydroponic technique. Simply choose any size container to suit your space and style of growing (SoG, ScroG, LST, etc). Drill a hole 2" from the bottom, so that a water table is captured in the bottom. This water table will fill with roots that can absorb more water and nutrients, creating a bigger, healthier plant (such is the idea of hydroponics).

Catching runoff from a hempy bucket is no different than catching runoff from a soil container. The extra water has to go somewhere, and catching it in another container is the most practical solution. I don't allow for runoff, because I would have to move the tub every other day to empty the drain res, which is a pain. I do still fill the entire water table up, ensuring that the plant have plenty of water. I know its full as soon as a few ml of water come out of the drain, then I stop watering.

Thus far, I have fed every single watering since transplant with between 200 and 600 ppm of nutrients and had no burning. The girls demand more and more food every watering.

Anyway, hope that helps. Keep researching and watching. Its pretty simple and straight forward. Its also extremely inexpensive if you can find bulk perlite ($20 for 30-50 lbs). I treat it almost exactly like soil, but with more food. This is my first hempy grow, and it has gone off without a hitch.

july_22.jpg

Hope that helps. Happy growing, friend. :peace:

Did you clone yet? That may help canopy issues. Otherwise, don't be afraid of supercropping.

Hey OG, I decided not to clone, but I did a bit of stripping under the canopy. I've definitely done some super cropping, LST and stem crushing on a small scale, as needed. I honestly don't mind letting them go a little wild. I've pruned no less than 30 fan leaves a week on avg, which has helped penetration considerably. I wish I had more room to play with LST, so i could get the full potential out of these 8 beauties.

Thanks for popping in, btw. :peace:

Hi Dank,

Thanks for the info, I will definately be watching. :popcorn:

It looks great so far, how long do you think before they harvest?

Hash,

Thanks for the hookup, will go read this thread for sure.

:peace:

Hi Dank,

Thanks for the info, I will definately be watching. :popcorn:

It looks great so far, how long do you think before they harvest?

Hash,

Thanks for the hookup, will go read this thread for sure.

:peace:

Its no problem sqwheels. This is why we post our grows, so that others can learn from our mistakes and successes. The girls are a little more than 3 weeks into flowering, but since I'm growing 8 different strains, they will all harvest at different times. The heavy indicas will probably be done in 5-6 weeks, the sativas in 8 or more.

I'll probably move to one picture update per week since the major flower production has begun. :peace:

Update-46 days old, 30 days of flower

Nutes are up to 700-800ppm of Tigerbloom and micro, with no burning. I can only imagine what the roots look like in that water table. At this point, the girls are drinking 1 gallon a day on average and that keeps climbing. I feed every watering with no burn up to 850ppm so far. Enough said, here's the fun part.

Right side of garden
July_31_right.jpg

Left side of garden
July_31_left.jpg

The family
July_31_overhead.jpg

July_31_farshot.jpg

Those are getting close to that light! Stretching quite a bit. How do you manage so many strains in that container?

Those are getting close to that light! Stretching quite a bit. How do you manage so many strains in that container?

Hey Tacomang, thanks for stopping by.

It stays cool close to the light, because its a glass covered cooltube. If they get too close I supercrop them.

Managing the different strains has been simple. They're all happy with the amount of nutrients and water they get, and pruning like crazy has kept the canopy at bay. I will have to harvest at different times, but that's actually preferable. :peace:

5 days later...

august_5_side.jpg
august_5_over_head.jpg

I let the hempy bucket dry out for 4 days, then fed a 1/2 strength watering. I'm hoping this will act as a pseudo-flush to prevent salt build up in the water table.

Back
Top Bottom