Dark Devil Auto: A Community Grow Record

Dark Devils week 8-ish. Getting there. Pardon the spider web, I've got him in there doing bug security duty.

dda888.jpg
dd8889.jpg

Here are my babies at one week from seed they are in 7 gallon grow bags with my supersoil mix.

Attachments

• 62451796-B19E-4437-8F5D-2EEEFD585633.jpeg
    62451796-B19E-4437-8F5D-2EEEFD585633.jpeg
    668.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 59D623D2-B975-4097-9B0F-21F1838DA921.jpeg
    59D623D2-B975-4097-9B0F-21F1838DA921.jpeg
    627.2 KB · Views: 76
My DDA baby is 11 days old today.
Spotted a few roots poking out the bottom drain holes on day 7 so went ahead and up potted into a 5gal fabric pot full of dbhbb soil. I assumed it would be to early to use the transplant drench but I did apply a liberal amount of the roots powder both directly onto the roots and also into the hole. Doesnt seem to have phased it at all.

20190806_063425.jpg
20190806_063433.jpg

I was, repeat was going to try mating a Dark Devil to a Bubuska, but my seeds got stolen by US customs, and all I ended up with was a tiny 'make a velociraptor' kit. No note, nothing. The company is going to send something else, because of course the seeds I ordered are no longer in stock. Going to try a lot of purple pheno type crosses, eventually. Might be next summer's research.
On a good note, the devils are getting heavy. I had them mildly LST'd and now they are laying over on their sides from the weight of the flowers. I've propped them up with dowels. I'm definitely not going to manipulate the DDs in future (and I plan to have them perpetually). I'll just let them do their thing and tuck leaves if necessary. Update photos coming soon. :rollit:

I'm excited to finally have an opportunity to grow this plant out. This past winter I did some autoflower breeding to build up my auto seed inventory. One of the crosses was Quarter Pounder auto with a very high (25%) THC strain which I reversed and used to pollinate a beautiful Dark Devil auto plant. I only produced 14 seeds with this cross. Here is number one of the QP X DDA auto plants which sprouted 2 days ago.

In two days I will float her out of the perlite and transplant her into her final home. I've been experimenting growing in organic soil of my own making. It has been suggested that it might be a little too "hot" for a new seedling. So I have decided to dig out an area in the center of the organic soil big enough to insert a red solo cup. I will backfill around it. Then gently remove the solo cup and fill in the void with Promix BX. Once that's done I'll transplant the seedling into the center of the Promix BX. I'm hoping this will allow her to put out some more mature roots and a bunch of roots prior to them hitting the organic soil. I love growing a new strain for the first time. Both are Sativa dominant, and both are quite potent. Will that translate over to this plant? Will she show the purple trait of the Dark Devil? Only time will tell.

I've grown three QP auto plants in the past. The first two were pretty large which prompted me to grow a third one to reverse it to make pollen as well as S1 QP auto seeds. She turned out to be smaller then the first two but still a nice sized plant. My main goal when making this cross was to see what the DDA would do when crossed with another autoflowering plant. The DDA is a pretty long flowering plant. I hoped that using the QP I could shorten the flowering time by a week or even more, but not detract from the potency of the DDA.

Hey Grandpa, question. How long are you letting them go, to full term or at a certain ratio of milky/clear? My first DD harvest I want to get it right.

:rofl: I’m a DDA virgin as well. However, I’m planning on letting her go to 1/3 to 1/2 amber unless someone in here tells me different. It’s so darn cute!

I'm right there with @Rifleman with my DDA harvesting them at 85 - 90 days from sprout. Spotting amber trichromes is not so easy with the DDA. You'll find that you'll get purple trichromes and with good magnification can see the cloudy ones.

I have to say @Grandpa Tokin I've grown 2 outdoors and neither had as many crystals as yours does. I have inferior sunlight which I have to figure is the main culprit there.

I got to looking closer at my Quarter Pounder auto X Dark Devil auto and was liking her nice thick stem. So I decided to not wait until tomorrow to up-pot her into her permanent home. So first thing I did was remove my organic soil from the center of the pot in the shape of a solo cup. I put a solo cup in the hole and backfilled around it. I then removed the cup and filled in the hole with Promix BX as I mentioned doing above. You can clearly see the color difference in the soil vs. Promix BX

Next step was to float the seedling out of the perlite. I was VERY pleased with both her taproot and the thickness of her stem.

Very gently planted into her 3 gallon pot. Ideally I would love to have grown her in a 5 gallon pot but my growing space is quite limited. Where she'll be grown has a height of just over 4 ft so I had to go with a smaller pot to keep her shorter. Really all I'm wanting to do with this plant is to see what the cross produces. They're so cute when they're this age.

Finally she's in her temporary home. I'm hoping I can keep her in here for close to 3 weeks to give her a good jump start. She is in my 2 x 2 tent under a @VIPARSPECTRA 450 watt LED light. The light is currently 18" above the seedling. I'll keep a very close eye on her to see if the light needs to go higher or lower. I love my Viparspectra LED lights. I have two of them.....this 450 watt and a 600 watt which I use in my 3' x 3' flowering tent. I'm saving up my money to upgrade to their model TC900S which would be just a perfect fit for my 3' x 3' flowering tent. I love the features of the TC900S light.

Back
Top Bottom