Dark Devil Auto: A Community Grow Record

Thank you for that insight!! That's a nice general rule of thumb that I will follow. Topping provides such a great end result but yeah the stress. Well I'll be sure to pop by and have a peek if you post pics.
Seeing as you have 4 seeds you could try a mixture.
I've been posting a photo once a week on here, only been 2 weeks though, next one day 21 in 3 days.
Post some photos yourself on here, would be great to see how you get on, there's a good crowd here that appreciate this strain as I do.

Thank you for that insight!! That's a nice general rule of thumb that I will follow. Topping provides such a great end result but yeah the stress.

As usual, it also depends on things like the gardener's preference, grow space lighting, et cetera. Also, it is going to depend on the (physical, literal) flexibility of the specific plant. The more flexible it is, the easier it will be to, for example, pull the top down until it becomes the lowest point on the plant and tie it in place so that the plant redistributes the auxins which govern things such as light-seeking behavior / which part of the plant "acts like a top," so to speak, etc. It has been a while since I gave any thought to the "science" of the cannabis plant, but I seem to remember that phosphorous can help the plant stay more flexible. And I have been thinking that strains that are predisposed "to be purple" might be so because they have issues with using and/or uptaking a proper amount of phosphorous. I am also wondering if it might be somehow beneficial to give these plants slightly more phosphorous during the earlier (before the flowering phase) part of their life. Has anyone performed any experimentation vis-à-vis phosphorous levels in their nutrients during the vegetative growth phase of "purple" strains?

Day 69'er lol and harvest time..noticed a white pistol at 17 days so give or take 52 days of flowering

Isn't that (awfully) early to harvest? Others seem to go a good bit longer. For example, if I remember correctly, @Rifleman harvests... I forget, exactly, but I think it's somewhere in the high 90-day range, IIRC. Now... he grows via DWC hydroponics, so I assume he gets a good bit more vegetative growth, and possibly for a somewhat lengthier time period, but still. Have you inspected the heads of the trichomes (on the flowers, not the leaves) to see if the majority of them are milky? I'm not stating that they won't be, merely that I am wondering. Of course, harvest time is entirely up to the gardener, and if you have reason to harvest early (want bud that hasn't reached its full potency yet, need the space, have become paranoid, etc.), that's certainly your prerogative. And, for all I know, your plant might actually BE at its peak THC potency time. Every plant is different.

Yes, I am definitely curious about yours, lol.

also noticed a couple drops of resin on the buds is that good or bad?

As others have mentioned, it's "just a thing," lol. It's not all that uncommon with this strain.

In DWC nearly every auto plant I grow shows sex between days 20 & 25. Stretch usually lasts up to days 45-50, and harvest is from day 85-105 depending on strain. DDA are a 90 to 95 day plant.... when I can get one to sprout their first set of true leaves. :eek: Yep, I haven't had a DDA success in over a year.

Anyone else have them come up with cotyledon leaves and stall ? Just stop, never develop any farther and eventually die ?

In DWC nearly every auto plant I grow shows sex between days 20 & 25. Stretch usually lasts up to days 45-50, and harvest is from day 85-105 depending on strain. DDA are a 90 to 95 day plant.... when I can get one to sprout their first set of true leaves. :eek: Yep, I haven't had a DDA success in over a year.

Anyone else have them come up with cotyledon leaves and stall ? Just stop, never develop any farther and eventually die ?
I had a purple punch seed do that, but I’ve never seen it from a DDa. You ever try germinating in hempy? DDa loves to pop in hempy

Hey everyone. Quick question. Do you all let it grow with just LST or does anyone top? I get mixed reactions to both and am unsure. I have 4 seeds of this beauty and would like to give it a go.
Try two of each, I'm at week 9 with four autos (not DDA) did two of each and both result in similar looking plants.
About as wide as tall, LST seemed like it was less work, after topping you still need to LST branches.

I followed the rule for topping, no later than 3 weeks above ground and cut above the 4th node.
I left the lower nodes but many cut nodes 1&2 and quad 3&4

In DWC nearly every auto plant I grow shows sex between days 20 & 25. Stretch usually lasts up to days 45-50, and harvest is from day 85-105 depending on strain. DDA are a 90 to 95 day plant.

Thank you for responding to my "page" so quickly.

when I can get one to sprout their first set of true leaves. :eek: Yep, I haven't had a DDA success in over a year.

Yeah, ME. And it was from seeds I got from Susan, too ;). Frankly, I sort of figured it might be "just because it's me," because I have been having viability issues this year. Older seeds, stored in a room that is attic-hot in Summer, and cold enough in the Winter that I can see my breath when I wake up, etc.

Although I did wonder - and might have postulated about it in a post, here, some time back - for a while if "selfed" seeds might not have the vigor that they would have had, ordinarily. Specifically, selfed seeds that come from a feminized parent... which might have been produced by selfing to begin with, for all we know.

I should point out that, the last time I got two (out of six!) to actually get so far as sprouting before they eventually went the way you described, I was also trying to sprout four SSDC and none of them came up. Along with a few miscellaneous and some unknown autoflower seeds. The last time I got anything to get past "dead seedling" stage, I tried with a bunch... and got one Northern Light Auto (unknown breeder) and one Train Wreck Auto (Crop King, I think). They seemed fine in every way, although neither produced bud that was any more potent than I expected :rolleyes: .

Maybe it's time you produce another 6,000+ seeds so that some of us can do some experimenting for you? :rofl: .

Probably wouldn't include me :( , as Susan is WAAAAY out of my traveling distance, now. Especially since the friend who drove to her place the other times is now barely mobile.

Yes but not dda. I had two(same cultivar) germinate white and die. The others(different cultivars) grew perfectly from the same start. Go figure?

Thank you for responding to my "page" so quickly.

Yeah, ME. And it was from seeds I got from Susan, too ;). Frankly, I sort of figured it might be "just because it's me," because I have been having viability issues this year. Older seeds, stored in a room that is attic-hot in Summer, and cold enough in the Winter that I can see my breath when I wake up, etc.

Although I did wonder - and might have postulated about it in a post, here, some time back - for a while if "selfed" seeds might not have the vigor that they would have had, ordinarily. Specifically, selfed seeds that come from a feminized parent... which might have been produced by selfing to begin with, for all we know.

I should point out that, the last time I got two (out of six!) to actually get so far as sprouting before they eventually went the way you described, I was also trying to sprout four SSDC and none of them came up. Along with a few miscellaneous and some unknown autoflower seeds. The last time I got anything to get past "dead seedling" stage, I tried with a bunch... and got one Northern Light Auto (unknown breeder) and one Train Wreck Auto (Crop King, I think). They seemed fine in every way, although neither produced bud that was any more potent than I expected :rolleyes: .

Maybe it's time you produce another 6,000+ seeds so that some of us can do some experimenting for you? :rofl: .

Probably wouldn't include me :( , as Susan is WAAAAY out of my traveling distance, now. Especially since the friend who drove to her place the other times is now barely mobile.
Did something happen to MrGreen?

Hey everyone. Quick question. Do you all let it grow with just LST or does anyone top? I get mixed reactions to both and am unsure. I have 4 seeds of this beauty and would like to give it a go.
I've tried twice now and was unable to top, the first was to small at three weeks and this last one, got to big and showed sex at 17 days

Thank you for that insight!! That's a nice general rule of thumb that I will follow. Topping provides such a great end result but yeah the stress. Well I'll be sure to pop by and have a peek if you post pics.

I pinched the main stems on my dda and Gelato to prevent massive stretching and encourage side growth. Pinch hard enough to hear or feel a small snap. It's the same step as super cropping without bending the stem over.

Mine almost did that. It took like two weeks after coming out of the soil before second set of leaves showed up. Of course I was freaking out because I wanted this plant so much this time and popped another seed which never got anywhere after two weeks attempting to sprout.

Now, here she is at about 75 days from soil pop. The delay before veg got started slowed things down for sure but I'm pretty happy with her now approaching the end of life. I expect she's got maybe two more weeks... maybe 3?

20200515_120013.jpg

31 inches from the soil and the top cola is about the size of my forearm.

20200516_151452.jpg

20200516_151322.jpg

e big enough before day 21 and not showing signs of flower, I
I just missed this window! Bugger! I have been gearing up to top it in a day or 2 and yesterday, day 16, the top looked suddenly bud-like and the loupe revealed pistils coming. Au naturel it is!
noticed a white pistol at 17 days
Exactly the same here

day 21 in 3 days.
We are one the same timeline :hippy:

noticed a couple drops of resin on the buds is that good or bad?
it's "just a thing,"
...called guttation. (Thanks Graytail :cheesygrinsmiley:) It happens due to pressure in the rootzone, or some such phenomena... Some times it can be quite watery, like the droplets on outside garden plants in the early morning (it’s not dew! It’s guttation!) and other times quite thick.

If you get to taste the sap, it tastes of dda and is extremely sweet.
:bravo:

indeed it does! ANd as TS said it seems particularly common in DDa. I’ve had it twice.

Second day and it was slowly drooping - it was very thick.

At that point i ate it... sticky and gooey like soft toffee and the sweetest thing ever! Reminded me a bit of eucalyptus flower sap, which is less like the eucalyptus and more like honey!

Here’s the other one...

:Namaste:

My mistake. I thought a member, Mr Green, drove Sue most of her miles. Memory is fuzzy on Saturdays I guess. I was asking about this "Especially since the friend who drove to her place the other times is now barely mobile."

Ah, okay, I misunderstood. He may have, I don't remember. He probably wouldn't want to drive all the way to my house, pick me up, drive me clear down to the gulf coast, and then drive me all the way home again, though. Why... That's probably enough miles to end up well inside Canada, lol. And, since it's cooler there and King Stupid isn't running their country, if he was in the mood to drive more than 1,000 miles (at a guess), that's what I'd suggest.

It's fine, though. I'm not really up for traveling very far in a vehicle these days, anyway. If I sit in one place for more than an hour or so, my right leg becomes temprarily useless. As it is, I've been experiencing some numbness/tingling in the calf and foot. Guess stuff like that happens as a person ages. The sucky part is, if the numbness went up several inches higher, it would help me a great deal, because I have a lot of pain in and at the back of my right knee.

Back
Top Bottom