Darkroom Louvers

BlueSkye

So I know this a burnt out question, but I am at a lose as to what to do. Let me start by stating that I have googled and researched this to death and cant figure out what to do. I am about to step up my growing setup from cabinet to closet. Not a huge increase in style i know, but before I start cutting holes in my walls I want to be pretty sure things will work the way I want. So here I go. I have 64cubic feet I am working with and plan on using a 171cfm hurricane inline fan with a 200cfm fresh filter. I want to run the inline fan 1/2 strength or so. I also plan on using a led fixture so heat isn't to much of a problem. I also plan on using a passive intake vent and this is where I am stumped. I cant figure out how to light proof the intake and still make it look acceptable and clean. (stipulation of the woman of the house.) My best solution i have come up with is a 12/12 darkroom louver. It seems to have the light proof problem solved but I am unsure if the air flow rate will be to low. I know i am running on with this question but any help would be appreciated. Will the louver be sufficient, or is there another clean looking install i should be researching. The intake for the passive vent would start in our master walk in closet, hence the clean install. Thanks guys.

Since no one replied, I'll leave what I found out for future help. Google poultry wall light trap or breathable wall light trap.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Just in case anyone is interested. This completely traps all light and has a 5% air restriction. Perfect for passive air and controlling photoperiod.
420-magazine-mobile722636554.jpg
420-magazine-mobile413390161.jpg

Wow im surprised nobody helped you or had input. Yea tough crowd. That install looks great. Your gal can be happy to. I make my own light trap vent situation but yours is spot on.

Sent from my LGMS345 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

So I know this a burnt out question, but I am at a lose as to what to do. Let me start by stating that I have googled and researched this to death and cant figure out what to do. I am about to step up my growing setup from cabinet to closet. Not a huge increase in style i know, but before I start cutting holes in my walls I want to be pretty sure things will work the way I want. So here I go. I have 64cubic feet I am working with and plan on using a 171cfm hurricane inline fan with a 200cfm fresh filter. I want to run the inline fan 1/2 strength or so. I also plan on using a led fixture so heat isn't to much of a problem. I also plan on using a passive intake vent and this is where I am stumped. I cant figure out how to light proof the intake and still make it look acceptable and clean. (stipulation of the woman of the house.) My best solution i have come up with is a 12/12 darkroom louver. It seems to have the light proof problem solved but I am unsure if the air flow rate will be to low. I know i am running on with this question but any help would be appreciated. Will the louver be sufficient, or is there another clean looking install i should be researching. The intake for the passive vent would start in our master walk in closet, hence the clean install. Thanks guys.
i would go with a standard vent for everyone to see......going to flex dryer tubing.....in the wall.....by the time it goes from growroom...to vent ...no light...I have the same set up at my house...we always have visitors... and sometimes prying eyes....so light leak is a big issue when I have a intake in my bathroom and a exhaust in laundryroom

i would go with a standard vent for everyone to see......going to flex dryer tubing.....in the wall.....by the time it goes from growroom...to vent ...no light...I have the same set up at my house...we always have visitors... and sometimes prying eyes....so light leak is a big issue when I have a intake in my bathroom and a exhaust in laundryroom
That would of been the route I took if I couldn't hide the intake in our closet. I'm ready to get this project finish and get some seeds popped. About to install the fan and filter and it'll be completed. Thanks for the input guys

Here's a thread that shows a light louver build.. DIY Light Louvers
Have you built one of these louvers? It seems badass and looks like it would work good. Also what's something like that cost to build and install. Say around a 10" x 10" unit. The insert I used cost me around $100 all together and was custom built (for size specs) by the manufacturer. It's basically the same idea as the DYI project but instead of a v it's built more like W but with softer bends like a wave. ( If that makes sense.). Iam a DYI kind of guy but have found that sometimes, for me it's cost just as much to build what I want than it does to buy something pre built. Take it ease man and thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom