DaveyBoy's Second Grow - Casey Jones - Organic - Soil - DR80 - 400W MH & HPS

DaveyBoy

Second grow underway.

What strain is it? Casey Jones (Trainwreck x Thai x East Coast Sour Diesel)

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Sativa 80 / Indica 20

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? veg, but about to flower 2 biggest

If in Veg... For how long? 8 weeks on and off due to house moves etc

Indoor or outdoor? indoor, tent

Soil or Hydro? Soil

If soil... what is in your mix? Plant Magic + 35% Perlite

If soil... What size pot? 11 litre and 4 litre for babies

Size of light? 400w MH

Is it aircooled? Yes, cool tube

Temp of Room/cab? Were up to 25 c max

RH of Room/cab? Up to 50

PH of media or res? 6-7 after some alkaline issues with tap water

Any Pests ? Not

How often are you watering? Twice a week

Type and strength of ferts used? BioBizz grow - after following bottle instructions and burning now use 1ml per litre

IMAG2342.jpg

Newbie errors strike again!

Over feeding and bad PH have given a rather bad start, but all in hand now. Made mistake of following bottle instructions and not checking tap water PH. Oops.

Metal Halide bulb for veg, and HPS for flower.

Currently only one tent but buying another for veg, aglthough they make a DR90 now, so larger tentwill be for flowering.

Procured a T8 but also have some 125w blue cfls. Maybe T8 for seedlings then 2 or 3 125s for veg.

Only issue I have is another fan and filter set up. Getting costly to grow our own, but better than lining a hood rat's pockets.

IMAG2341.jpg

The journey starts here.

Re: DaveyBoy's second grow - Casey Jones, organic, soil, DR80, 400w MH and HPS

Using Dutch Pro Leaf Green now to remedy the current issues, quick spray before lights out. Also flushing with PHd water to lessen the effects of too many nutes.

Had problems over watering before, so have calmed down a bit on that front and drilled holes in the sides of the pots. have also bought some hydrogen peroxide as back up.

I know is not so good for organic microherd but better than root rot

shouldn't need this time but was cheap.

Have also drilled holes all around the pot edges so I can use light plastic coated gardening wire to LST the plants.

I find this far easier than my previous attempts with twine as it's easier to add or remove and less invasive than sticking skewers or pegs in the soil.

Still trying to think smart on setup... told a DR60 is a waste of space for veg and to go witness the 90.

Was debating manufacturing a cabinet but the tents mean I can break it down for landlord inspections.

Hassle though that is.

Disgusting amount of loft space here but not sensible to use due to having to cart everything up and down a ladder and heat in the summer.

Casey Jones

Sativa 80 / Indica 20

Origins - Trainwreck x Thai x East Coast Sour Diesel

Flowering - 56-63 days
Harvest - Mid October

Casey Jones combines an excellent sativa mother, a Trainwreck x Thai, with an outstanding male from Rezdog's Sour Diesel v3 line. The mother originated from Billy Goat Seed's Oriental Express cross. She has a very sweet flavor, and a heady trancendent high.

Adding Diesel to Trainwreck suggested the name Casey Jones, engineer of the most famous train wreck of all time. The sativa-dominant Casey Jones strain has an amaing high. The plant varies slightly in structure, from Thai foxtails to Diesel plumes. It retains the short ripening time of the Oriental Express mother, finishing in about 8 weeks. Casey Jones is not overly picky, suiting the novice grower as well as the sweet-toothed connoisseur.

This variety multi-branches well, especially when trained. She prefers moderate feeding and grows to a final height of 30-40 inches when forced at 12-16 inches. When plants are grown short with a single cola (SOG style), they yield an average of 1/3 to 1/2 ounce. Grown large and trained, plants could yield up to 3.5 ounces each.

The buds form like towers of calyxes, tight but clustered, creating a looser cola, with colorful pistils that vary from orange to pink. The leaves have thin blades and stems may purple late in the flowering phase.

The Casey Jones flavor is a combination of the confection-like sweet Oriental Express and the citric sour of the Diesel. The high can be felt almost immediately and lasts about an hour and a half. This strain has an "up" effect with a vividly trippy, thought provoking quality that can lead to mental wandering. Under its effects, one may feel a stronger sense of connectedness to self and others. it is good for creative activities that can benefit from an introspective mood and don't require intense right brain focus. It is less than ideal if you need to make plans, balance your checkbook or do other very linear activities. Go fly a kite, watch a movie, hike around in the outdoors, or engage in a little painting or other interpretive activity when indulging in Casey Jones. Do not drive a train!

Good to hear that you figured out the issues and are working to correct them and in my opinion wait till your plants are back to healthy b4 you throw them into flowing. i love the strain and it will impress if cared for.

Keep it Green:peacetwo:

Thanks chaps.

Both your grows looking good, will do my best to do a good job of getting these back to health then into flower.

Either of you have any opinions on using colloidal silver to stress a branch or two into flowering some balls?

Seems to be a good way for seeds but am told is just as likely to make herm seeds as light stressing.

Not sure if the seeds were fem or not so may well have a male in the group, if so may segregate and grab some pollen. Would rather be self sufficient if I can.

I would hold off on trying to stress a branch, it could end up stressing the whole plant and go hermi on you.

Oh yea, I'm in:thumb:

Thanks N2G91!

Tested it on some White Widows I had, and worked fine with only the branches growing male flowers. was purely a test on two small branches which I then cut off and saw no more flowers.

Guess my biggest issue is whether these are girls or not, but knowing the supplier whose weed they came in is entirely possible they are fem.

Will see and then worry later. Need a crop first!

Am going to try to keep up with others journals but is tough with the little time I have :(

If you know it works then it's actually not a bad idea. Once the male flower matures you can just cut the whole branch off and put it in a Tupperware container.

Learnin new things everyday.

Am going to try to keep up with others journals but is tough with the little time I have :smokin:
Priorities: Family, home, job, grow, everything else.

I'd like to see a brief, weekly report on an easy grow-to-harvest.
My advice? KISS and be happy :)

Hey mate, good to see you!

Weekly update sounds like a good plan, should hopefully show progression of the plants if I have a bit more consistency. Will try to update this weekend and each thereafter.

Ok. Have the new DR100, and due to set up soon. Gave plants some ph'd water this morning.

Question: paranoid about over watering, and am aware supposed to give ten percent run off, but concern is that I'll leave soil too wet.

Suggestions? Add more perlite? Use hydrogen peroxide to the water?

As I can't see the roots I worry they aren't all round and some soil will stay damp and cause rot.

Have been trimming burnt and yellowed leaves, temps aren't quite right, hitting top of 27 to 28, dropping to 17.5 at night.

Currently sticking with just water and then going to 1ml per litre of grow once I feel they're ready.

As per earlier advice will wait til they are happier before going 12/12.

New DR100 will be for flower and 80 for veg, resurrecting the 125w cfls.

Will more my home made filter to veg room and invest in another fan and a "proper" filter for floor room.

Pics later, have house guests and cannot escape.

Ok. Have the new DR100, and due to set up soon. Gave plants some ph'd water this morning.

Question: paranoid about over watering, and am aware supposed to give ten percent run off, but concern is that I'll leave soil too wet.

Suggestions? Add more perlite? Use hydrogen peroxide to the water?

As I can't see the roots I worry they aren't all round and some soil will stay damp and cause rot.

Have been trimming burnt and yellowed leaves, temps aren't quite right, hitting top of 27 to 28, dropping to 17.5 at night.

Currently sticking with just water and then going to 1ml per litre of grow once I feel they're ready.

As per earlier advice will wait til they are happier before going 12/12.

New DR100 will be for flower and 80 for veg, resurrecting the 125w cfls.

Will more my home made filter to veg room and invest in another fan and a "proper" filter for floor room.

Pics later, have house guests and cannot escape.
Your media is soil mix, which doesn't compact badly as some farm dirt may. You're unlikely to drown roots, hydroculture immerses roots completely. Roots don't need oxygen, but soil micro organisms do. Oxygen in the hydro water or the growing media allows good micro-fauna and dis-allows anorobic stinking rot. Doesn't take much. I've never used hydrogen peroxide, nor do I spray foliage with anything ever. No 'misting' clones, no foliar feeding, no rot.
17C is fine at night, and 28C is marginally cooler than my 'daytime' temps.
In-tent fan for light turbulence is very important. Boundry layers of still air at the stomata need to be disturbed for max growth. Also, when floret clusters form, a light breeze helps keeps bud-rot away.

Your media is soil mix, which doesn't compact badly as some farm dirt may. You're unlikely to drown roots, hydroculture immerses roots completely. Roots don't need oxygen, but soil micro organisms do. Oxygen in the hydro water or the growing media allows good micro-fauna and dis-allows anorobic stinking rot. Doesn't take much. I've never used hydrogen peroxide, nor do I spray foliage with anything ever. No 'misting' clones, no foliar feeding, no rot.
17C is fine at night, and 28C is marginally cooler than my 'daytime' temps.
In-tent fan for light turbulence is very important. Boundry layers of still air at the stomata need to be disturbed for max growth. Also, when floret clusters form, a light breeze helps keeps bud-rot away.

Thanks for the input and time, PG.

Think my concerns come from lack of knowledge and experience and that I murdered my last plant with bad PH and nute lockout, but this post helps me see I need to panic less and pay more attention to the basics.

Ordered an electronic PH meter today but will keep up with the visual liquid test kit for now.

Using lemon juice to lower PH as too alkaline from the tap - over 7 but by how much I dunno as that is as far as visual kit will test.

Subscribed... Nice my friend :)

Learning a little more every day, feel free to stop in and comment. Your grow looking nice. When I get the grip of soil I may look at hydro.

Back
Top Bottom