Day 58 since a flower appeared: First grow

acrobat

Ok now for my first "real" post lol.

Right off the top: I have NO idea what each of these plants are. I got random seeds from a friend and just went at it. I *think* I might have some Sativa, which I really want. I'm not a couch lock fan, I like cerebal elevating Sativa highs.

Some factoids about my lil operation here..

- Live in the Greater Toronto Area in Canada
- Started in solo cups in early July, by July 9 the first seedlings had sprouted above the soil on stems
- Don't get consistent sun in one spot, so I ultimately transplanted the seedlings to 3 gallon planters with holes in the bottom so I could move em around to get sun
- Used plain ol' potting soil for the majority of the grow, and tap water when it didnt rain enough. There were times when I think I might have overwatered, but then got better at it.
- Started out with 12, 4 became males and the rest appeared to be female. More on that later but I think I've got at least 2 hermies, but would be glad to be corrected lol. Pretty sure some of the plants have some banana thingys in them too
- Ended up taking 4 of my favourites up north with me for some good ol' Muskoka sun a few times over the summer. I drove at night and dont think any suffered any ill effects, matter of fact I think they like my tunes and singalong
- August 24 was the first flowers, and that was also when I started forcing 12/12 by taking them into the garage at night. In the garage I'd have a fan on pointed up at the ceiling a bit. The garage is insulated and stays around 15-18 degrees Celcius or so
- Started using Advanced Nutrients Bloom around Aug 26th on the advice of a friend who is having a BANNER crop this year. Like mammoth trees.
- On super rainy days I experimented with using a 300 W 9-band LED grow light to augment.
- I stopped using Bloom around 2 weeks ago, went to plain tap water watering, and did a first (and probably last) full flush this morning ie put water thru them till I saw it leaking out
- I did some trimming, ultimately on advice of said friend removed almost all fan leaves a few weeks back

Now..

I'm at day 58 if I count from the first flower.
Temperatures have been going down steadily, obviously.
My trichomes are pretty much all milky, and unless Im blind I see few, if any, amber ones

HOWEVER:
I have very little actual good weather left. The sun is super low in the sky so I'm not getting ideal sunlight at all and have to move them constantly -and from Thursday on it will be rainy one day, cloudy the next, and maybe the third and fourth day it might get up to about 12-15 degrees Celcius. Night time will be 4-7 degrees Celcius.

2 of the plants have shown early Powderly mildew signs, and so I took remedial action with h2o2 solution once, and baking soda solution today. But I definitely feel that the clock is ticking. I think its mainly because of being in the garage overnight, even tho I've got a box fan pointed up at the ceiling a bit to keep things circulated.

I feel I could push this further in the garage, but with the PM signs I am thinking of just calling it a day, giving them the one last nice day tomorrow, keeping them dark thru Thursday when it's going to rain cats and dogs and harvest them.

I say this because this was a "covid project" experiment and even if my yields arent huge, I knew this going in due to planting so late. Success for me is a. I killed ZERO plants, they all look relatively healthy to me, and b. *something*, even the littlest bit, harvestable from each plant still standing. I figure even a few grams from a healthy plant is a bigger win to me than a mouldy ounce.

Ok so...THE PICS (and I will likely have to do several replies to get them all in)

PLANT 1

- one of the Tall Four, as I like to call 'em
- No mildew issues

Attachments

• IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    684.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1450.jpg
    IMG_1450.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60
Plant 2:

Its hard to say what is really going on with this plant. It just seems different, less pistils or they are different. It also doesnt seem as mature towards the bottom of the plant. Had the idea to harvest the top 2/3s and see what happens if I leave the bottom to grow more..

Attachments

• IMG_1395.jpg
    IMG_1395.jpg
    997.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    801.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Plant 3:

Another slightly strange one, the pistils went dark early (I think they got affected by a cold snap we had?) and it seems stunted. Like this is it, it aint going no further, the buds are not gonna fatten any more

And wait..is that some sort of spider web? I yanked it out, anyways...

Attachments

• IMG_1401.jpg
    IMG_1401.jpg
    966.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
    726.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
Plant 4:

This ones looking nice and plump up top. I took this pic on Saturday morning and the pistils have darkened since. Its gooey and white trichomes are looking YUM. Again tho, fat up at the top and lil popcorn buds down below. Had the idea to harvest the top 2/3s of this one too and maybe even try and grow it into the winter or at least push it further into the end of the month

Attachments

• IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    951.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    953.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    833.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1457.jpg
    IMG_1457.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 33
Plant 5:

Oh boy, plant 5. This one I put into a bigger bucket to see what would happen, and predictably it is the tallest and probably healthiest, altho this is one of the ones that I saw PM on a couple days ago. We'll see how she looks tomorrow morning after todays treatment and a day of sun.

The pistils on this one also went dark/black kinda early. Hope its not rot :(

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1417.jpg
    IMG_1417.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    721.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1459.jpg
    IMG_1459.jpg
    983.9 KB · Views: 39
Plant 6:

I loved the sight of this plant too, just feels like it filled in evenly / nicely, and the colas look like they will be great weed. I have...high (snicker)..hopes for this one

PS - look at that bug in the second pic! I killed him ...and Im not sure what the heck that is in the last pic but I removed it

Attachments

• IMG_1423.jpg
    IMG_1423.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1424.jpg
    IMG_1424.jpg
    731.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1430.jpg
    IMG_1430.jpg
    711.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1461.jpg
    IMG_1461.jpg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 37
Plant 7! Is this annoying yet?

Ok so the next 2 plants...I have no idea what is going on with these. They don't look like my other plants, BUT...they do look like some pics I've seen others post, and no-one ridiculed (whew)

I will say: they have trichomes. They are milky. They smell like ripe pineapples. Smokable bud? The jury is out.

Having said that - I keep them separate from the others for the most part. I don't trust them lol

Attachments

• IMG_1433.jpg
    IMG_1433.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1434.jpg
    IMG_1434.jpg
    964.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1440.jpg
    IMG_1440.jpg
    825.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
Plant 8: (finally)

Same as plant 7, I believe this one had some PM so I did a baking soda shock followed by the mist-er on my garden hose. At the start of the day of sunlight, of course lol

Oh look! There's that bug again, before, and after I grabbed him ..

Attachments

• IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    745.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1448.jpg
    IMG_1448.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1465.jpg
    IMG_1465.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
Ok...so the MOST pressing question: Harvest Thursday morning? I could try and finish off under the LEDs on the cold rainy days, and bring them in at night...but the cold+humidity is making me feel like that early PM will become a nightmare

14 day forecast:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 7.20.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 7.20.06 PM.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 30
I'd appreciate the love and support Click here

i hope that makes sense now
Hey, did I err somehow? I do appreciate the love and support, am new so lemme know!
updated

Plant 4:

This ones looking nice and plump up top. I took this pic on Saturday morning and the pistils have darkened since. Its gooey and white trichomes are looking YUM. Again tho, fat up at the top and lil popcorn buds down below. Had the idea to harvest the top 2/3s of this one too and maybe even try and grow it into the winter or at least push it further into the end of the month
Shake those pants after Rain falla or morning dews so moisture doesn't trap and bud rot .

Holy epic thread Batman...just realizing what a huge post that was. Good thing I wrote it before I smoked...my bullet points would likely be paragraphs :D

They're about as tall as autos get. Shame you didn't top them, LST woulda blown your yield up. Still a nice effort, I'm betting most smell different from one another? Oh and your posts are not long, wait till you see these 49 page journals lol Welcome and GG

They're about as tall as autos get. Shame you didn't top them, LST woulda blown your yield up. Still a nice effort, I'm betting most smell different from one another? Oh and your posts are not long, wait till you see these 49 page journals lol Welcome and GG

Thanks for that insight!! I was too new to attempt LST, but man am I kinda regretting that I didn't attempt but just moving them around every few hours chasing the sun was work enough! lol

3 or 4 have a similar ripe pineapple-y smell to them. The others smell like decent weed.

Soooo....I decided to go ahead and enter the 24hrs dark prior to harvesting period. That puts me in range of harvesting them tonight.

To wash..or not? I'm thinking maybe I won't. They're not very dense so not a ton of places for bugs and dust to hide, and I recently did spray them down with the mist-er after some H2O2 treatment to ward off PM. I feel like if I wash them now I'll just be adding an extra day or two to the dry cycle (which I need to happen as quickly as naturally possible)

The other thing I debated doing was trying to squeeze more growing out of them by leaving them in the garage full time and turning on the 300W 9band LED light for the daylight cycle. Temperature in the garage ranges from 53-61F and humidity ranges from 55% on a clear day to about 64% on a rainy day. But realistically, will another 2 or 3 weeks fatten up these buds that seem to have not fattened in the last week at all? And then of course that pushes my dry+cure even further out. And then also, further risk of more PM or even mould...all in all im not sure the risk is worth the return. I feel like I document the lessons I learned - chiefly a. start WAY earlier from seeds, and b. train - and call this crop a wrap..

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom