DC: Protesters Push For Legalizing Marijuana At Annual Festival

Katelyn Baker

Madison - As the ongoing debate on whether to legalize marijuana continues, hundreds of protesters gathered on the steps of the capitol building to rally in support of legalizing the drug.

The protest was part of the 46th annual Madison Hemp Festival. Many pro-marijuana activists spoke at the event, sending their messages loud and clear to Wisconsin law makers.

"I very much believe that Marijuana is not the most dangerous thing that people are walking around in their pockets, but we're treating it as it is," said 48th District State Representative Melissa Sargent, who is seen by supporters as a champion for the movement. "We need to change our laws so that people can take care of their illnesses in a way that they deserve to."

Sargent has proposed several bills to legislators that would legalize marijuana in Wisconsin for both recreational and medicinal purposes.

But not everyone is joining the movement.

"Melissa and I have discussed her position on legalization on Marijuana, and I disagree with her," said Dane County Sheriff Dave Mahoney, who says while he would consider supporting the legalization of medical marijuana, under no circumstances will he support recreational use. "I don't believe that we are at a point that we know that Marijuana is not an entry drug and I don't think we are at the point that Marijuana has no lasting effects."

Still, supporters say that legalizing Marijuana is more than just giving people their personal freedom, it's also an effort to decrease racial disparities here in the state.

"With Marijuana arrests, you are four times likely to be arrested with simple possession if you're an African American than if you're white, and in Madison you're 12 times more likely, I don't know anyone that would think that's ok."

Sargent also proposed a 25 percent excise tax, which she says could generate an estimated 177 million dollars over two years.

So far, all of her proposed bills have been shut down by Wisconsin legislators.

"It looks like i'll be back in January, and I certainly plan to bring these bills back to new legislative cycle," said Sargent.

In July, a Marquette poll revealed that 59 percent of people in Wisconsin were in favor of legalizing Marijuana.

12039222_G.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Protesters Push For Legalizing Marijuana At Annual Festival
Author: Nick Buffo
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom