DEA Chief: "Marijuana Is Not Medicine"

Ron Strider

Drug Enforcement Administration acting chief Chuck Rosenberg declared Thursday "marijuana is not a medicine," saying the government must "stick to the science" on the issue, the Washington Examiner reported.

Speaking at the Cleveland Clinic, Rosenberg reiterated FDA guidance during the Obama administration, which determined marijuana does not have medical value, the Examiner reported.

"If it turns out that there is something in smoked marijuana that helps people, that's awesome," Rosenberg said. "I will be the last person to stand in the way of that. . . . But let's run it through the Food and Drug Administration process, and let's stick to the science on it."

Rosenberg acknowledged studies show marijuana has been shown to be effective in treating epilepsy, the Examiner reported.

"Should we be reducing the administrative and other barriers to researching that in the government? 100 percent," he said. "But what we should not do is make policies based on guesswork. When we do that, what we do is put people at risk."

He also said he was concerned about the effect of marijuana on young users.

"When you develop a substance-use disorder at a young age, it actually increases the likelihood of you developing an addiction to other substances," he said. "So, in that sense, addiction to marijuana or any substance, including nicotine, during adolescence and young adulthood when the brain is developing is very concerning."

"I worry that we have gotten away from allowing science to drive our policy when it comes to marijuana," he added, the Examiner reported.

Scooby_Snax_-_Rex_Features.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: DEA Chief: 'Marijuana Is Not Medicine'
Author: Cathy Burke
Photo Credit: Rex Features
Website: Newsmax.com - Breaking news from around the globe: U.S. news, politics, world, health, finance, video, science, technology, live news stream

Drug Enforcement Administration acting chief Chuck Rosenberg declared Thursday "marijuana is not a medicine," saying the government must "stick to the science" on the issue, the Washington Examiner reported.

Speaking at the Cleveland Clinic, Rosenberg reiterated FDA guidance during the Obama administration, which determined marijuana does not have medical value, the Examiner reported.

"If it turns out that there is something in smoked marijuana that helps people, that's awesome," Rosenberg said. "I will be the last person to stand in the way of that. . . . But let's run it through the Food and Drug Administration process, and let's stick to the science on it."

Rosenberg acknowledged studies show marijuana has been shown to be effective in treating epilepsy, the Examiner reported.

"Should we be reducing the administrative and other barriers to researching that in the government? 100 percent," he said. "But what we should not do is make policies based on guesswork. When we do that, what we do is put people at risk."

He also said he was concerned about the effect of marijuana on young users.

"When you develop a substance-use disorder at a young age, it actually increases the likelihood of you developing an addiction to other substances," he said. "So, in that sense, addiction to marijuana or any substance, including nicotine, during adolescence and young adulthood when the brain is developing is very concerning."

"I worry that we have gotten away from allowing science to drive our policy when it comes to marijuana," he added, the Examiner reported.

Scooby_Snax_-_Rex_Features.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: DEA Chief: 'Marijuana Is Not Medicine'
Author: Cathy Burke
Photo Credit: Rex Features
Website: Newsmax.com - Breaking news from around the globe: U.S. news, politics, world, health, finance, video, science, technology, live news stream
Worried about people getting hooked on marijuana, that's a joke, how about all the people including me marijuana has helped get off of all the strong pain and nerve pills, i was really hooked on the pills and marijuana not only allowed me to quit taking all the pills it has helped my pain, anxiety, and depression a whole lot better than all them highly additive pills. Thank god for marijuana, i don't know were i would be without it, maybe dead. The government needs to get with the program and let people get their medicine.✌

Back
Top Bottom