DEA Raids Calif. Marijuana Collectives; Ignores New Federal Policy

After word spread of DEA raids on medical marijuana collectives in San Diego and Mendocino County last week, many are left wondering if federal agents deliberately violated the Obama administration's instructions to not interfere with state medical marijuana laws.

Under the Department of Justice policy announced in an October memo, federal agents are no longer supposed to target or prosecute medical marijuana patients or providers who operate in "clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state law."

Yet, according to local accounts, the sites raided last week were legal under state law. From the Press Democrat:

Mendocino County Sheriff Tom Allman confirmed Friday that the [raided] property owner had the proper paperwork and the marijuana was legal in the eyes of the county.

"This was a federal operation and had nothing to do with local law enforcement," he said. "The federal government made a decision to go ahead and eradicate it."

Steve Elliott has more in Alternet:

A multi-agency federal task force descended on the property of Joy Greenfield, the first Mendo patient to pay the $1,050 application fee under the ordinance, which allows collectives to grow up to 99 plants provided they comply with certain regulations.

Greenfield had applied in the name of her collective, "Light The Way," which opened in San Diego earlier this year. Her property had passed a preliminary inspection by the Mendo sheriff's deputies shortly before the raid, and she had bought the sheriff's "zip-ties" intended to designate her cannabis plants as legal.

In the days before the raid, Greenfield had seen a helicopter hovering over her property; she inquired with the sheriff, who told her the copter belonged to the DEA and wasn't under his control.

The agents invaded her property with guns drawn, tore out the collective's 99 plants and took Greenfield's computer and cash.

Joy was not at home during the raid, but spoke on the phone to the DEA agent in charge. When she told [him] she was a legal grower under the sheriff's program, the agent replied, "I don't care what the sheriff says."

The DEA has not yet released any statement explaining their actions, which all reports indicate violated their DOJ-issued guidelines.

With the number of state medical marijuana laws at 14 and growing, there is an urgent need for the federal government to ensure that its policy on state medical marijuana laws is made "clear and unambiguous" to its enforcers as well. The DOJ guidelines issued in October should have done just that, but apparently the DEA in California didn't get the memo.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Opposing Views
Author: Marijuana Policy Project
Copyright: 2010 Opposing Views, Inc.
Website: DEA Raids Calif. Marijuana Collectives; Ignores New Federal Policy

Yup and more to come... for everyone who thinks that that the fed will let everything go once it is legal for rec use... I feel is in for a rude awakening. If they are ignoring federal policy... what makes you think they will not ignore state policy???? Rember... if they are bold enough to go after MMJ patients... Rec users and suppliers will be put on notice.

Just in case... people who are really thinking of voting yes on 19 should look over the Federal laws of what they will do to you if caught up in this mess!

It's a step in the right direction. Instead of the people letting the feds walk all over them the people (us) need to let them know we want it legal. You will see many many more raids if prop 19 does not pass. It say "see no one want's it legal so we're gonna arrest you" That will come from state and feds.

I just do not see it that way... everyone thought these raids will stop. No they are not. Alot of people are going to get a false sense of security when this bill passes and people will get rich while others go to jail. It is easy for people to see rec users go to jail but it is another thing to take a guy in a wheelchair to jail.

Hope you are right. It is no big deal to me as I am a med patient... but it is a big deal for people who are not med patients.

When are you people going to figure it out??
Everything that comes out of Obama's mouth is nothing but a tv sound bite,total bullshit pablum to ease the fears of the simple minded sheeple.
You actually think he's in the dark about what the DEA in cali is doing?
He knows exactly what's going on,they're following his orders.All that stuff he said about not raiding legit collectives was to get pro mmj peeps off his ass & back on the dem.plantation fools.
BAAAA Motherf**kers!

I hear the sheriff said he needed the lost reggae rising funds back in his budget to help keep the DEA at bay....

Prop 19 should have wording that forbids local LEOs from assisting, aiding or co-operating with federal agencies if the federal agency is ignoring state law.
Be really funny if the local LEOs arrest fed agents for "stealing" when they confiscate a CA growers marijuana.

Prop 19 fails = All law enforcement embolden. People will go to jail
Prop 19 passes = Law enforcement gets pissed off. Less people will go to jail

Easy decision for me.

Sorry... but that logic does not compute.

Facts:

MMJ is legal.... people are still going to jail.

The people voted for mmj.... people are still going to jail

Obama says... stop with the raids.... people are still going to jail

Rogue agent raids a mmj grow... gets the job of training all the DEA on how to do business.

If this fails... the laws will stay the same.

We need a bill to decriminalize it for all of the state and hold Officials and LE liable for aiding Fed agency's who want to violate our rights under state law.

Be really funny if the local LEOs arrest fed agents for "stealing" when they confiscate a CA growers marijuana.
I wouldn't say it was funny at all, Id call that justice. We call the sheriff when civilian thugs steal our crops. Why shouldn't we expect the same kind of protection from the federal rippers?

I'd call the looks on their faces when busted funny.
While I'd like to see it, I think they can't arrest fed for enforcing fed laws.
Something about the Southern sates back during desegregation, IIRC.

what the fuck?
here's why we can't trust the government, or the legal system in the first place

Sorry... but that logic does not compute.

Facts:

MMJ is legal.... people are still going to jail.

The people voted for mmj.... people are still going to jail

Obama says... stop with the raids.... people are still going to jail

Rogue agent raids a mmj grow... gets the job of training all the DEA on how to do business.

If this fails... the laws will stay the same.

We need a bill to decriminalize it for all of the state and hold Officials and LE liable for aiding Fed agency's who want to violate our rights under state law.

Yes I know people are still going to jail. I said LESS people are going to jail and the more people that get involved by passing prop 19 will mean even less will go to jail. As this spreads across the US and other states pass similar bills, even less will go to jail.

People can talk and discuss a better path to legalization but I don't see them doing anything but talking or writing in blogs. Talking about what we need is meaningless without the action to back it up. Action is being taken now in the form of prop 19. Those that have a better answer should step up and do something about it on the federal level or in their own state.

I agree with YouGrowBoy, Prop 19 moves the issue of legalization ahead for all of us, not just the residents of California. GanjaAl2, if you are truly for legalization, then you will support Prop 19, not because it's perfect, but because, after you sit down and analyze the situation clearly, you will see that only by bringing the use of cannabis into the mainstream (and the sunshine) will the irrational fears that people have regarding its use, dissipate. When that finally happens, the more egregious (in your eyes) parts of the legislation will simply go away. More states will legalize, and the Feds will finally cave. This was the pattern with alcohol prohibition, and it will be the pattern with cannabis as well.

I have and that is why I vote no.

I am fallowing Jack herer and the Author of 215....

Prop 19 = taxation and helping fiscal irresponsibility.

Decriminalization = freedom!

I think this wa a prop written (for the most part) by the people and not legislators..
If it fails, then the gov't will just say "see I told you so, the people don't want that evel weed," and will be empowered to go after it even more..

it has to be taxed. period, or it will never ever be considered. There has to be a financial incentive for gov't to look at it.. but if the prop that was proposed by the people fail,, then the legislators can look at the Mass proposal, and see what truly greedy politicans can do, and guess what,, you may end up with that version instead,,, so what would you rather, if given the choice,, between CA or MA MJ proposed MJ laws..? here is a hint..
schwag weed.. (THC over 1% less than 5%) = 150.00 per oz tax
mids = (THC 5% or more to less than 10%) = 200.00 per oz tax
decent smoke (THC 10% or more) = 250.00 per oz taz

plus all the other licensing,, 2000.00/yr to import.grow 2500.00/yr to process 3000.00/yr for a trade license 2500.00/yr retail license.. and basically a grower/importer can only sell to processor, who can only sell to trade who can only sell to retail...

so, hey, it's your call really, either a few people are gonna make some big money (your oaksterdam people, and anyone smart enough to get a jump on it) or the gov't will bleed all the money from it like what is proposed in Mass.

The worst of it is, under our system we'll probably never get full federal legalization, not with holy rollers and cultural conservatives all over the country effectively having the power to dictate what we can do in our own state. Supposedly, and even worse, people in foreign countries, many with very strict and intolerant views on this, also have this power due to international treaties concerning drugs.

Drug policy began as a patchwork of local regulations and prohibitions, but now local option has been usurped at the national and international level. I doubt we will ever regain the acknowledged right of self determination.

I don't know. I live in the heart of the bible belt, in a city full of fundies repubs, and from the comment section in the local paper, most of the posters are for legalization and taxation on par with alcohol. And these are posters who are very conservative and xian, and who usually sound like mini-Karl Roves when they post.
But on pot, they are legalize and tax.
Might be a case where the idea that limited government also includes freedom to chose what chemicals to ingest is finally getting through.

Then again, my take is as the population grows, with more and more folks coming to age knowing pot is no more harmful than beer or other alcohol, it will eventually be legalized, no matter a small portion of the country wants.

Folks will eventually get sick of funding a WoD when it ain't working and costs more and more each year.

But I noticed in Prop 19 that state and local LEOs are not allowed to confiscate grows within the limits. Does this mean that they will be forbidden to help, aid or assist Federal LEOs when it comes to snatching pot from dispensaries and private homes?

Back
Top Bottom