DEA To FDA: Consider Looser Marijuana Restrictions

The General

Washington, D.C. - The Food and Drug Administration is reportedly conducting an analysis of Marijuana, at the request of the Drug Enforcement Administration. The study, reported by Bloomberg, is examining whether or not restrictions on marijuana should be relaxed, possibly downgrading it from a Schedule 1 drug. Deputy Director for the FDA's Regulatory Programs, Douglas Throckmorton, provided written testimony to a recent congressional hearing regarding the analysis.

Schedule 1 drugs, including heroin, are considered the most dangerous classification of drugs, having high potential of abuse and possibility of severe psychological and physical dependence, per the DEA Drug Scheduling definitions website. The most restrictive of DEA classifications, Schedule 1 drugs are considered substances with no medical benefit and the aforementioned risks. The intent of the review by the FDA is to help alleviate differentiating between state and federal laws, where currently 22 states permit the medical use of marijuana, contrary to the Schedule 1 classification.

Washington State and Colorado are the first two states in the country to permit recreational marijuana use. Florida GOP Rep. John Mica, who heads the oversight hearing on marijuana research, examining the changes in public attitude towards the drug, said of the study: "This has big implications." The DEA requested review of marijuana by the FDA in 2001 and 2006, though the results in those analyses recommended it remain Schedule 1 both times.

This current review will take into account eight different factors by the FDA, after which the agency consult with the National Institute on Drug Abuse, then the Department of Health and Human Services, ahead of returning the study to the DEA. Throckmorton would not attest to when the final results, and possible downgrade of classification as a Schedule 1 drug, are expected to come along.

Cannabis_Bud1.jpeg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Wltx.com
Author: Derry London

Who runs the DEA, FDA? The person in charge of these departments, who is their boss?

People's voices are being heard-that is what make changes. Otherwise we would still be watching reefer madness cartoons. Nice post General. Appreciate your dedication!

It's about time!!!! I was wondering when the evil satan spawn Michelle Leonhart was going to act in the voice of the people. Now lets hope that it goes through this time! There is plenty of evidence now for medical benefits, and to keep it scheduled as class 1 is inhumane to those who need it for health. Great news! and excellent share!

Then they couldn't justify Obama care. Who needs medical insurance if we are all cancer free pain free growing our cure for free.
Too much money in other industries would be affected by both Hemp fiber products and pharmaceuticals.
No I feel it will continue state by state with only a schedule change at the fed level.
Feds are criminal they keep it at sch 1 and charge taxes on it but you can't right off the grow support like nuets and grow systems.
Kinda bullishly unfair.

Thanks guys, I didn't want to be the bubble buster on this one. Many peeps in my circle of life think this will actually have many more restrictions than keeping it a class one. Of course its about money-always has been. They are going to use the 'scientific research bs' forever. You actually got to hand it to the pharmies-who ever thought their plan out did a good job. Population control, world wide government control, keep alcohol and cigarettes legal to help their wheel keep turning. All the diseases popping up again and finally lets talk profit margin; nothing can touch their mark-up profit margin. Call it what you want, but seeing many suffer just from chemo and other man-made bs meds is worst than any war crime to date. They will drain every penny from you and when your broke they kick your ass out on the street to die. These ass-wipe's need capitol punishment in the worse way-perhaps send them through chemo/late stage radiation.

Then they couldn't justify Obama care. Who needs medical insurance if we are all cancer free pain free growing our cure for free.
Too much money in other industries would be affected by both Hemp fiber products and pharmaceuticals.
No I feel it will continue state by state with only a schedule change at the fed level.
Feds are criminal they keep it at sch 1 and charge taxes on it but you can't right off the grow support like nuets and grow systems.
Kinda bullishly unfair.

I know because there are no scientific/medical studies showing cannabis has medical values.

My hope is that the powers do a legitimate investigation of the cannabis and it's unique qualities for medicinal use. I have been on morphine for nearly 6 years from the VA. They keep telling me I don't have many alternatives, none of which are cannabis. If they would not cut my disability I would switch tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

You hit the issue on the nail head! My son is going on 11 yrs now on morphine, oxycodone and upstair meds. He is afraid of getting his benefits cut also, but, honestly he is fully addicted now. Basically you have to be drugged on their crap to qualify for benefits. Nice way to treat our troops who serve our country. Nice post!

My hope is that the powers do a legitimate investigation of the cannabis and it's unique qualities for medicinal use. I have been on morphine for nearly 6 years from the VA. They keep telling me I don't have many alternatives, none of which are cannabis. If they would not cut my disability I would switch tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

My only child died as a result of the VA's pill pushing policies.He had a seizure caused by the many brain drugs they had him on that were not combat-able with the opiates. He was just 30 years old.
I miss him so

Hi scaryron,

So sorry for your loss! What the VA does is a crime. The VA should have the best Dr.'s in the world helping their wounded, mentally and physically. Not just pushing meds down them and sitting them in a corner to die. I hope I can still reach my son. He has been experiencing some weird feelings in his brain. Prayers going out to you for your loss Brother! G/B

My only child died as a result of the VA's pill pushing policies.He had a seizure caused by the many brain drugs they had him on that were not combat-able with the opiates. He was just 30 years old.
I miss him so

Find him help him or your regret it for the rest of your life.
I was just too late to make a difference and that will stay stained for ever in my soul.
A fathers love for his child is deep the hole left behind by their lose can never be fill with anything but sorrow.

Find him help him or your regret it for the rest of your life.
I was just too late to make a difference and that will stay stained for ever in my soul.
A fathers love for his child is deep the hole left behind by their lose can never be fill with anything but sorrow.

As a father and a human being, this post truly broke my heart.
Scaryron, please know that I can never truly comprehend the pain and loss you experience..... and I hope I'm never in the devastating position to totally understand.

Having said that - I just could not see such deep pain expressed so very simply, yet so rawly poignant ....then just walk away and move on to the next topic. Please know that you will be in this fathers prayers and always have my admiration of your ability to face each new day. I know neither your son or yourself but I'm confident that your Son's soul is pained by your belief that you obviously hold yourself as a person of some form of blame in his unfortunate passing.

This I can understand ..... Fathers ideally protect, guide and lead our children, so I certainly get any feelings of blame or "dereliction of fatherly duty" that any father would feel in such circumstance. Please consider that such feelings while understandable and nobile, are unrealistic and not 100% accurate. Scaryron, with every single fiber of my soul and tears in my own eyes I can tell you that the greatest gift and most beneficial act you could possibly do for your Son right now is to try with all your might and character to consider the very real possibility that you could of done nothing to change this outcome. To contemplate and accept that what happened is not your fault irregardless of how many times you play the "what if" or "only if I" games over and over in your head.

I'm begging you to do just one more sacrifice for your son that your likely going to find immensely difficult - Forgive yourself as this is the only positivity that can come from such depths of misery. Your NOT alone! Please seek out others in similar situations to help each other walk when the inevitable stumble or fall takes place.

May peace come and always be with you my brother

Back
Top Bottom