Dean West’s Growing Cannabis 101: Perpetual Growing Using Organic Super-Soil

I’d start new plants every month, eventually you’ll want flowers about ready to chop and plants about 4-5 weeks into flower. Then have veg plants ready to move to flower and veg plants a month behind those. Given you’re running Chemovars that take 8-10 weeks to flower.

Journal update

OCT/20/20

hey everyone a lot going on here , just wanted to put a list of what strains I have on the go here
lemon tree- crop king
Girl Scout cookies - crop king
Platinum Girl Scout cookies- crop king
Gelato F1-crop king
Gelato F2-crop king
Hash plant -crop king
R1-crop king
Black do Lato- in house genetics
Platinum garlic- in house genetics
Why you jelly s1 F1 - solfire gardens

SOIL/AMENDMENTS/MICROBES/TRACE ELEMENTS so for everyone who doesn’t know me , I am growing in organic supersoil , using Gaja green all purpose and power bloom , for amendments . Spanish river carbonate for all my minerals and everything in between to creat biodiversity in the soil , FULL of trace elements and minerals ( GAME CHANGER)
Glacial rock dust
Microbes - raw npk microbes- VEG. For veg stage and BLOOM for flower . ( GAME CHANGER )

I also run my own worm farm so all the good stuff is added to my grows, I have started a second bin so all my worms are working their way up as we speak, then I’ll let it sit another month letting cacoons hatch and the rest of them work their way into the top bin and once I don’t see a plethora of cocoons I will harvest the castings and top dress pots then add the rest to my “ organic supersoil” I have a tote set aside where I put all my leaves from defoliation into it , doing my own little composting project inside . I will add 100 adult red wigglers to the mix and let them populate and get to work , in turn hopefully creating a complete soil food web , thus converting to true living organics vs pre cooked super soil.

I will now be supplementing dandelion extracts into every other waterings when I can find out how strong the stuff is. I was told to use extreme caution when using this the first time

VEG SPACE 1
so I finally got this veg space set up roughly so I can use it , waiting in some inline fans to show up to set it up how I want it .
so I have put the 3 smallest plants in here, I’m gonna veg then out a bit more I may toss 2 of them if they don’t bounce back .

Veg space 1
Hash plant - crop king
gelato F2 - crop king
R1- random crop king FEM seed ( top tier ) so they say
ENVIRONMENT-I have this space sitting at 50-65% rh and temps are 24-25 degrees Celsius lights on , lights off same temp ( have veg space 2 and 3’s hot air being pulled into this space to keep lights off temps from being an extreme swing )
VEG SPACE 2
in this space I have the
1, platinum garlic- in house genetics
2,why you jelly s1 F1 - solfire gardens

ENVIRONMENT-I have the rh sitting between 50%-65% super happy with that , temps sitting around 24 degrees Celsius

VEG SPACE 3 -
in this space I am using it to hold potential mothers for now , I may get rid of a few now that I know what quality I’m working with . I think the blue dream and bubbas gift will be removed .
MOTHERS:
Bubbas gift-HSO
Cheese- unknown
Northern lights- Canucks seeds
White og - seedsman seeds
Blue dream- HSO
OGKZ- HSO
I took clones off plants to put aside for potential mothers .
lemon tree- crop king
Gelato F1-crop king
Gelato F2-crop king
Hash plant -crop king
R1-crop king

CLONES-
lemon tree- crop king
Gelato F1-crop king
Gelato F2-crop king
Hash plant -crop king
R1-crop king
2 trays in the go , I’m going to have some more lights and get a 3rd going for when I need it

FLOWER SPACE-
I have left 4 plants in here , I’m going to be transplanting them this week and flipping to 12/12 . So right now there is
lemon tree- crop king
Gelato F1-crop king

I think I may pull the lemon tree and gelato F1 flip the tent then throw the other 2 in 15 days later and keep throwing one in every 15-30
Days just to offset things a little more

Girl Scout cookies

Lemon tree

Platinum girl scout

gelato F1
Now does this look like light burn or a deficiency, it has the same as everyone else soil and food wise, any suggestions here ? I took clones before this happened. It seems like it’s not getting worse but growth has slowed down

PROJECTS- in the spring I started a fermented dandelion extract process to make some nutrient supplements. So the goal was a veg a bloom and a root stimulator . So after 6 months of monitoring and adding sugar , shaking it up almost daily it has now finished and is beautiful stuff , I will be taking my first rooted clone and I will test this stuff out before throwing into my active grow just to be safe .
Here is my haul
VEG supplement

FLOWER supplement
ROOTS supplement
Here is my full harvest about 3 liters of each. Super excited to try rhis
thank you @Emilya for this

also I have also taking my worm juice from my worm farm and have diluted it so I can add 1 l jar to 5 gal of water. I ran an Air stone in the solution for 24hrs prior to bottling hopeing to get rid of any anaerobic bacteria . This is just a little test I’m gonna see how long I can make this stuff last without going rancid

next project cal mag+ out of eggshells and organic apple cider vinegar Stay tuned .lets hope my wife doesn’t ban me from the kitchen , last time I cooked shells for my worm bin she was not very happy . Kinda smells like burn hair or fingernails . I only know thoes smells from working around welding and hot work , and people who aren’t very capable in life haha .

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day , be safe play safe and god bless

JOURNAL UPDATE:

10/23/20

hey everyone , I just have a quick update for today , last night I did some transplanting and switched the 2x4 tents timer to 12/12 . They will sit in the dark for 48 hrs and then I’ll turn the lights on to try and kickstart flower a little faster . Idk if it actually helps, but saves power.

I transplanted these girls into 3 gal pots Pre amended soil @ 50/50 ratio of Gaja greens all purpose (4-4-4) and Gaja greens power bloom (2-8-4)
The soil also contains glacial rock dust and Spanish river carbonate .

WATERING- I drenched the soil with diluted worm juice and a teaspoon of each of my dandelion supplements veg , flower and roots.

LOW STRESS TRAINING-
over the past few years I’ve figure out the best way for me to train my plants to get a fast turn around . I let the plant grow 5-8 sets of nodes . I top the plant , then let everything grow out , I usually have to hold down the top 2 node sites as they grow and take dominant growth to the lower nodes , I pull them down past the height of the lower nodes so they are not that tallest point of the plant , now energy is being pushed to the next tallest sites when they catch up to the top I repeat until I have a flat table top for a canopy with 8-10 main cola sites , rest get pulled for clones . All of this from seed t flower may take 2 months to get that plant to show me pistols before the flip, then and only then I know the plant is mature enough for flower to give me the best possible yield and quality when it is showing pistols prior to 12/12 . Even if the plant gets to big for my space I will pull the whole plant. Into clones , except a few branches just incase I loose the tray to try again , that has happened a few times.then I will start to train the best clone, I like to pic ones that have the same node growth as the main, sometimes the nodes are even on the stem , which makes it easy as pie to keep things symmetrical , I used to mainline and manifold my plants and with even node growth it works amazing for me , because I am a tad ocd , but I have noticed not so many plants turn out with same node spacing so I had to change my way of training .

platinum garlic is growing strong and the why you jelly S1 F1 is looking wonderful as well.
hope you all have a great day , thanks for stopping by .
be safe play safe gitty up

JOURNAL UPDATE : 4X8 MOTHERSHIP

OCT/26/20

-
hey everyone , hope your having a wonderful day today. This weekend I was pretty busy , I had to get the flower tents air intake situated better so it wasn’t getting light When lights are off , I was vegging in the flower tent until oct/23/20 and then I noticed. I did not set up and duct work to pull air into the tent prior to this , so to get the duct work in I had to move the veg tent 90 dereees from where it sat to give me room for the duct work . So I had to move my clones lights and a few other things but I got it all finished , but temps aren’t quite where I want them . So I ordered online fans to push more air from outside my tent inside ( the tents in a cold cellar ) my flower room is maxing 26 degrees and that’s fine for now but I like to be at 23-22 degrees with lights on. So I’m going to try added air flow , instead of letting negative pressure do the work , it will be mice to not have my tents sucking in on themselves so much.

here is what everything looks like now
So the 6” duct is the 4x8 tents air in there one on both sides . And the 5” duct below the 6” is my flower tents air in , so once I get fans going on all 3 ducts I think things will be a little bit more where I want them , I just want to make sure the air I’m pumping in is close to the cfm of the air outs are but I want the air ins to be a tad lower on cfm so their is some negative pressure but not enough to “collapse my tents” haha that’s what I feel like will happen , I always picture worst case scenarios in life .

So as you can see he veg tent has been moved to make room for the flower tents duct work
I have stuck my clone trays into of the veg space , didn’t want to dedicate veg space 2,3 to clone domes . Wasted space lol
Haha my veg tent “puking” into the 4x8
Here you can see the other side of the MOTHERSHIP . Bottom left is my mothers under my diy space bucket light I don’t use anymore , hard to believe I grew in 5 gal pails stacked up

This is the control center , the displayed temp and rh is my flower tent , the other controller is for the motherships fan , I will be purchasing a second module to control my 6” Ac infinity , I was going to run them both off the one modular but I don’t want them set to the same peramit

VEG SPACE 1-
okay now that we got all the changes out of the way here let’s get into this

Before and after train sesh

R1- crop kings random fem seed pack
mystery strain

Hash plant

Platinum Girl Scout cookies

Here is everything under the stupid burple light .
Soon enough I’ll be dropping some serious cash on QB LIGHTS .
Environment is close to where I want it , but I am happy

CLONES- trays are on day 15 with 5 that have rooted so far , I feel like the rest will come overnight . But once I have clones of everything I will throw plants into flower tent 15 days apart

VEG SPACE 2-
this is the top tier of my multi-room tent, this is where all seed starting is done with 2 23w 6500k cfls

Platinum garlic

why you jelly s1 F1

I have also germinated 1 OGKZ and 1chocolate mint og to cycle into the grow.
I germinated the seeds oct/24/20 and the OGKZ poped the next morning , so yesterday I put it into soil so we’ll see if she’s broken ground yet when I get home

VEG SPACE 3- this is the place I plan to veg in until they outgrow the space and into veg space 1 , 29watts of red and blue SMD . I thought they were useless but these lights work well in this small space , I just have to keep them close

SIDE PROJECT : so as you may know I just finished my dandelion fermentation extract and I kinda have the organic fever , and want to just do projects so I have decided I want to make my own calmag+ , but to do so I have to first make lactobacillus serum in order to make the cal mag , and also this stuff will be used in a lot more side projects .
So first step was to take white rice and distilled water and do a carbohydrate wash , the to take the liquid and set it aside for 7 days or so until we see 3 seperate layers , I will post progress pictures, one mid week and then end of the week and we’ll compare the pictures . Once there are 3 distinct layers I then take a syringe and remove the middle layer

I don’t like to make small batches of anything just incase it’s a success , so I and doing 4 L of carb wash and will pull all 4 middle layers and see how much of this lactobacillus serum I can culture here .

so this is all I am going to do today , I am going to keep my veg and flower updates separate so it’s not such a nightmare for me to draft this up .
Thank you all for your love and support , I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for some of you I can’t express my gratitude.
:peace:

JOURNAL UPDATE

11/09/20

:welcome:
hey everyone , it’s been a little while since the last update and everything is rolling along nicely per say .
One thing I have been struggling with lately is my soil so I decided to beak out my living soil totes. This soil is my original supersoil mix that slowly started leaning towards living soil now there are worms and all kinds of living creatures and bugs , I can still see some of my predator mites I released last year.

SOIL/AMENDMENTS- so I have 2 totes of living soil I’d say around 25-30 gal in each tote. This soil has had previous worm big harvests added to it so there are worms left in the soil, I have been taking all my plant clippings and Adding it to the soil , I have planted clover cover crop let it grow then knock it down and close it up let magic happen. I have been adding to this soil since it’s been put away .
- I harvested my worm bin and split all the life between the two totes . I left the worm bin outside all summer so it’s crawling with life , literally a complete soil food web in the worm bin so everything is now in the totes. Further adding to the quality of the soil.

BIN#1- I have pre amended this bin with a 50/50 ratio of Gaja green all purpose (4-4-4) and Gaja green power bloom (2-8-4)

BIN#2- no amendments , I assume there is enough food to feed small plants in this , if I’m transplanting bigger plants I will just amend as I plant and let everything get to work.
but this will be for veg so when I do amend it will be with 75% all purpose (4-4-4) and 25% power bloom (2-8-4)

okay so I’m thinking switching to this stash of soil I will have a lot happier plants then what I have been , but some of the plants are thriving so idk if it’s just shitty genetics but some of the plants look stellar and others are deficient in a few ways so I’m hoping this switch will make a difference
:morenutes:

VEG SPACE 1 (2x2)
STRAINS- hash plant F1
-gelato F2
New - Platinum garlic

-Why you jelly S1 F1

- a lot has changed here , I have sent 2 more plants into flower so it’s freed up some space for the new seedlings to make their way up to the big leagues. Now I have a hash plant and a gelato in this space aswell but they aren’t looking so happy so I may take clone toss them and try the genetics again in my 5 year old soil .
- so the hash plant and gelato will be going through some stress of me washing some of their soil away so I can transplant into the living soil.
Platinum garlic and Why you jelly s1 F1 are the first 2 to be planted into this soil in over 6 months.

Why you jelly s1 F1

she’s gonna take off here shortly noticeable difference in growth since being transplanted

Platinum garlic

Super excited for this strain in particular

gelato F2 ( now F1 because I tossed F1 )
Gelato F”1”
Hash plant

:headbanger:
VEG SPACE 2-(1x2x2.5’)
STRAINS- OGKZ F2
Going to be getting some new strains after Christmas due to covid I cannot go up to see my buddie and grab some , they just had a new baby and are isolating so , I have a few more seeds and some autos but then. I start running plants again see if I can dial it I. Some more to knock the strains out of the park on wuality
so I have started 3 other seeds a mint og and 2 OGKZ seeds ( I thought first was a dud) ,I decided I would plant before a long tap root happens long story short theynever made it to the surface.

:bravo:

So I will continue to run with my 1/4 inch tap root , paper towel method. I have gotten 100% success until trying these 2 like this . Really sucks loosing 3 seeds but the show rolls on.
so right now there is only one seedling growing in here and it’s the OGKZ F2

VEG SOACE 3-
STRAINS- Girl Scout cookies
- Platinum Girl Scout cookies
this space is just holding 2 small clone/mother to be. This will house a bunch of small mothers I can fit 8 micro mothers in here , but I will eventually have a seperate spots for a larger number mothers.

FLOWER TENT ((2x4x5’3”))

I haven’t done an update on the flower space in a while, so I figure I better add it to this update before things change a lot .
There are 4 plants in this flower tent right now. I let them get a little bigger then I would have liked but all good.

:cc xx STRAINS -Girl Scout cookies( day 16) since first
Pistols.
- Lemon tree ( day
16 ) “”
-Platinum Girl Scout cookies( day 10)
-
R1 random fem seed ( just put into

12/12 not calling day 1 yet .
Note- I did have a gelato F1 but it wasn’t bouncing back like I wanted it to and it was easing up space so she got tossed .
I do really like the gsc - lemon teee and pgsc growth rates and structure hopefully bud structure and quality is there but checks off in the vigour deparment:hug:

GIRL SCOUT COOKIES F1
so this plant is hands down the most vigorous of the group they were all germinated and planted same time same soil same everything and she’s just rocking , she got away from me height wise compared to the rest but super happy with this girl . Hopefully she’s a keeper . But me and my buddie have 10 more to run so we’ll find something worth Keeping.
:cheer:

LEMON TREE F1
I really like the structure of this oheno , hopefully she carry’s the terpene profiles I’m looking for , supposed to be one of the highest lemon terpenes out there , we’ll see ?
super happy with this plant

PLATINUM GIRL SCOUT COOKIES -
this beauty Was given a little too much of the dandelion extracts and she got a little funky coloured for a few days , I think I got everything figured out . Any suggestions on the yellow spots on the

R1- random crop king fem seed
I started 2 of these and the second one wasn’t growing nice at all. So she got fed to the worms :rip:
This was before it got transplanted into a 3 gal she was just placed into 12/12

Lactobacillus serum project -
I started this a few weeks ago , I think it’s almost ready to harvest what’s there but I’m gonna leave it until the weekend and see what happens
All these pictures I took with the flash on

This picture I took with the flash off

so I think I’m almost done making the lactobacillus serum I can’t wait to start making some stuff with it .

I know it’s a lot of information I appreciate you guys and gals for taking the time and energy into helping me along the way . I wish you and your family’s the best.
Be safe, play safe
:snowboating:

Dang I got wore out just reading about your grow. You’ve sure got a lot going on in here. Gotta be nice and satisfying making your own nutes, will be great to see how they work out.

:passitleft:
Haha yeah your right , I got lazy last week and didn’t post about the flower space , I was aiming for alternating weeks on the post veg to flower but life got busy and anything to do with “plants” is put on the back burner lol . I feel like I’m doing double time at home, when everyone goes to bed then I can get to work . But still gotta be up at 3am for work so it’s a hard juggle for me brother . I’ll try to make shorter posts so their more enjoyable to read .
but I am very excited to try and make my own nutes and stuff, I do know my dandelion extract is a lot stronger then I thought , the only things is you don’t know what’s in it really .i will have to start things off slowly .

I’d like to take a clone throw it in promix and see if I can keep a plant going start to finish with just home made nutrients . When I do have enough made up . After the calmag+ I will be doing fish emulsion.

EXPLANATION

hey everyone happy New Years I just wanted to come in and let everyone know what’s up . So my landlords installed a water softener in the house , and for some reason I didn’t clue in to the added salt content , over the next 2 months my plants took a dive , slowly but surly no matter how much microbial life I added , lactobacillus , compost teas ext they still were getting worse and one day it dawned on me the f*cking Salt , I noticed my soil getting crusty this is when it clicked , so I tried flushing all plants with 2 gal distilled water I put a grate over the tub put the plants on it water to waste , long store short I lost 6 plants in flower and 5 in veg ready to go , I ended up loosing all the mothers is saved aswell . The only plant that made it was the gsc in flower and she did not end up with a nice yeild by any means . I was able to get the why you jelly s1 back to a decent health in veg and the platinum garlic and OGKZ I have taken clones to start fresh

TRUE LIVING ORGANICS
so I have bought the book “ true living organics” by the rev and I have purchased everything to make his soil mix and to replicate exactly what he’s doing , I know a few people that swear by it , I am just having a hard time sourcing seabird and bat guano for the mix once I do have everything I wil start a new journal on the process of mixing the soil mix and cooking it and the importance of cooking powerful organic amendments . Reading this book has filled in all the gaps that I wasn’t understanding and I know so many people tried to put the point across to me , a few anyway but this book has taken 40 years of trial and error out of my life . If there’s anyone reading this who struggles with organics I suggest getting this book , and as you read highlight and write down the important stuff so it sticks . Game changer

Girl Scout cookies the only plant in flower that made it , she’s not something worth bragging about but this is the result of being lazy and not paying attention to how important water quality is in an organic grow , I have now resulted to purchasing r/o water so I do not have any issues again , if your using your tap water get it tested to see if it’s good enough, something as simple as poor quality water put my grow into a slow but sure fail , and I have no one to blame but myself . So new leaf is turned lesions learned will be back guns loaded I almost got everything I need to do what I’m intending to do.

Happy news years dean and bro never got that mention to help your buddy. Post his link here I will go over see if I can help.

Back
Top Bottom