Dean West’s Quest To A Quarter Pound Auto: Moby Dick XXl From Dinafem, Mars Hydro, Gaja Green Organics, Super Soil, 3Gal Fabric Pot

why do you think your grow has failed... because the buds didnt get big yet? Sorry to hear about the compost tea.
Hey I’m on day 51 of 65 , I already have some amber trichomes the buds look nice but there not fat like they’ve been lacking what they needed to get to their full potential. I know she is not there. I’ll be lucky to get a qp probably , a lot of wasted time for very little. Somewhere along the way I messed up big time

08/13/19

:welcome:

UPDATE- Hey everyone , once again here we are with another update , so as you know last week I swapped my cfls out for hacked leds, well in 2 days a didn’t notice much growth , so I switched back to the cfls and she exploded with growth, so cfls it is for now. I have switched the light schedule to 20/4 for now , I firmly believe the plants need a dark period to match up on some rest . I also just got my own worm compost farm, and will be regularly top dressing with worm castings to keep microbial life going strong.
:morenutes:

Training- I have been doing low stress training on the regular to try and keep a handle on it, and so my stalk doesn’t get so stiff I won’t be able to train , as soon as I see a few nodes she gets bent over , I use something to support the stalk on the bend just to help hold it in place, every other node I twist the stalk so all my nodes are horizontal to the ground ( no wasted nodes on this baby)
also I usually do heavy defoliation on my plants and for this run I will not be touching any until flower , and even then I will only remove what is blocking light to prime bud sites.

MORE TRAINING- I have also been training my root ball with carefully planned waterings , at first I start with water directly under the plant , but then I do circles around the plant I move an inch out each watering. Until I hit the outside of my pot and then work back the other way. I feel like it helps build my root ball and train it to fill my entire pot. Gotta love fabric pots though I wouldn't be able to finish a plant in a plastic 3 gal pot , start to finish , gotta love fabric pots

ENVIRONMENT- Temps are sitting between 24-28 degrees Celsius, and a relative humidity of 40-50% so I am very happy with how the bucket is holding it’s environment. as you know I am growing this in my space bucket for the time being , it’s a 5gal pale with a bunch of bucket tops for spacers. I have an intake fan and out take fan. And a fan on the inside blowing air around ( I actually broke that fan this morning so I will have to figure something out tonight .

I have been just watering with dechlorinated water , ph’d @ 6.5-6.8 with a water temp of 21 degrees Celsius

She is growing nicely , I was suprised to see this amount of growth in a few days , almost makes me wonder if she is stretching for flower. Never grown an auto so idk how they act or how long they veg for
C5B04429-259B-4504-B160-CEDC44EFBC04.jpeg

This is her after I applied the tie downs into the soil , every time I twist the stalk to get the nodes horizontal I put a pin to hold her that way , I have to check it daily to make sure this doesn’t get out of control on mei am going to train all of the nodes to fill the rest of the bucket
B643F5CE-4C2C-4681-9ADC-0A6730DBD32C.jpeg

I also made smaller pins to just hold back the fan leaves so they don’t block light from the nodes ,
9C06D92A-6E70-45CE-88C9-4418A6BEFFFC.jpeg

But I am very happy so far with the growth of this plant , I canno believe how vigorously this plant is growing .
8C3BF083-3D77-4AA4-A837-04FC2E719D82.jpeg

And here is my very own unlimited supply of worm castings , I just can’t wait till my population sky rockets and I can put them in a big tote , it be nice if they could keep up with the table scraps :)
64B36AA8-9156-448A-AB0F-3E8D0A1BF183.jpeg

Anyway that’s all I have for today , thanks for spending the time to read this and a special thanks to all who have gone above and beyond to help this noob out on his grows, thank you 420 family :peace::Namaste:

08/13/19

UPDATE- Hey everyone , once again here we are with another update , so as you know last week I swapped my cfls out for hacked leds, well in 2 days a didn’t notice much growth , so I switched back to the cfls and she exploded with growth, so cfls it is for now. I have switched the light schedule to 20/4 for now , I firmly believe the plants need a dark period to match up on some rest . I also just got my own worm compost farm, and will be regularly top dressing with worm castings to keep microbial life going strong.
:morenutes:

Training- I have been doing low stress training on the regular to try and keep a handle on it, and so my stalk doesn’t get so stiff I won’t be able to train , as soon as I see a few nodes she gets bent over , I use something to support the stalk on the bend just to help hold it in place, every other node I twist the stalk so all my nodes are horizontal to the ground ( no wasted nodes on this baby)
also I usually do heavy defoliation on my plants and for this run I will not be touching any until flower , and even then I will only remove what is blocking light to prime bud sites.

MORE TRAINING- I have also been training my root ball with carefully planned waterings , at first I start with water directly under the plant , but then I do circles around the plant I move an inch out each watering. Until I hit the outside of my pot and then work back the other way. I feel like it helps build my root ball and train it to fill my entire pot. Gotta love fabric pots though I wouldn't be able to finish a plant in a plastic 3 gal pot , start to finish , gotta love fabric pots

ENVIRONMENT- Temps are sitting between 24-28 degrees Celsius, and a relative humidity of 40-50% so I am very happy with how the bucket is holding it’s environment. as you know I am growing this in my space bucket for the time being , it’s a 5gal pale with a bunch of bucket tops for spacers. I have an intake fan and out take fan. And a fan on the inside blowing air around ( I actually broke that fan this morning so I will have to figure something out tonight .

I have been just watering with dechlorinated water , ph’d @ 6.5-6.8 with a water temp of 21 degrees Celsius

She is growing nicely , I was suprised to see this amount of growth in a few days , almost makes me wonder if she is stretching for flower. Never grown an auto so idk how they act or how long they veg for
C5B04429-259B-4504-B160-CEDC44EFBC04.jpeg

This is her after I applied the tie downs into the soil , every time I twist the stalk to get the nodes horizontal I put a pin to hold her that way , I have to check it daily to make sure this doesn’t get out of control on mei am going to train all of the nodes to fill the rest of the bucket
B643F5CE-4C2C-4681-9ADC-0A6730DBD32C.jpeg

I also made smaller pins to just hold back the fan leaves so they don’t block light from the nodes ,
9C06D92A-6E70-45CE-88C9-4418A6BEFFFC.jpeg

But I am very happy so far with the growth of this plant , I canno believe how vigorously this plant is growing .
8C3BF083-3D77-4AA4-A837-04FC2E719D82.jpeg

And here is my very own unlimited supply of worm castings , I just can’t wait till my population sky rockets and I can put them in a big tote , it be nice if they could keep up with the table scraps :)
64B36AA8-9156-448A-AB0F-3E8D0A1BF183.jpeg

Anyway that’s all I have for today , thanks for spending the time to read this and a special thanks to all who have gone above and beyond to help this noob out on his grows, thank you 420 family :peace::Namaste:
So I just kinda noticed this does anyone else see pre flowers and pistols on this update at all ? I’m thinking it would be safe to call this day one of flower , because my next pic on my phone after this it’s full of pistols , and she is now already showing bud formations I think I may struggle to get to the QP mark on this auto

Attachments

• 066CF3C3-9749-49E5-83DA-6CB544ABB94B.jpeg
    066CF3C3-9749-49E5-83DA-6CB544ABB94B.jpeg
    703.1 KB · Views: 237
08/21/19

DAY 12 FLOWER :yummy:

UPDATE- hey everyone , hope ya’ll has a great work week and an even better weekend. Here are are again with yet another update. This plant is surprising me , it just keeps on stretching which is a great thing cause I needed a good stretch to fill my space . There may still be hope to hit the QP I was shooting for on this grow but honestly if I get 2 oz on my first auto I will be very impressed.

So one issue with this grow is I still have fungus nats , I let the medium dry right out and let the plant droop before I watered again , seemed to help. I watered with compost tea. So I’m hopeful there are some micro organisms that will kill some of the larva of the fungus nats . But I am ordering nematodes to battle the fungus nats , so I will have something to battle the reproduction .

QUESTION!? when making compost tea , the microlife created , will it contain Protozoa and nematodes ?? Will it creat it’s own food web of micro organisms or do I need to buy specific micro organisms to battle the fungus nats , I’m just trying to figure out how much and what kind of micro life is created in compost teas. @Emilya I know I tag you a lot but your my goddess of organics , you are the most well rounded organic grower I’ve ever “met” via online. But your my go to person I hope that’s okay.

TRAINING- I am continuously low stress training , I have done some very light defoliation but only the leaves that are crowding things . She would be very cluttered and there would be bud sites not getting the light they deserve. I am trying to pull the plant lower the 2 of the bottom nodes to get them to grow more then the others to try and fill the one side of the grow space , and then I will let it all grow once I get the canopy more even . I am very surprised at how thick the plants stalk is . Makes it very hard to train . Glad I have stayed on top of it.

ENVIRONMENT- The plant is on a 20/4 schedule right now. And it seems to be working nicely . With lights on the temps are at 26 degrees Celsius/ with a RH of 45% . And with lights off the temps are at 20 degrees Celsius. With a RH of 45%

SPACE BUCKET- so I have bought a few things to upgrade this bucket, I got a new bucket and light sockets to make a light top, the sockets will be installed through the side , and on top I’m gonna put a 4” duct attachment so I can hook it up to my carbon filter and or into my tent , and have the negative pressure in my tent pulling the air through the bucket , to eliminate the smells flowering plants creat. I broke the pc fan that’s on the inside of the bucket that pushes the air around inside so, I am going to track down some pc fans .

I did notice that Ac infinity has small muffin fans that I could hook into my led display ( controller) for my online fan, so I could have my bucket have its own humidity and temp probes so I could individually maintain each environment in the same controller but that’s probably out of the question but it’s a good idea for the next build.

Let’s get into some photos

As you can tell she’s well underway in flower and may actually fill this space very nicely
AC1959B1-DF0E-49EE-B9E1-6F6607428000.jpeg

I am completely amazed at how fast these plants progress. They grow so vigorously. I am glad my veg time went without any problems
90BC2626-FD5D-4809-A54D-03C4D0309BA2.jpeg

7FE4D664-F2E0-4DB7-B465-5733238D429E.jpeg

So things are looking good , she’s pretty healthy I’m not noticing any deficiencies, my only issue is the fungus nats. But I will get a handle on it.

If anyone has any advice please feel free to bash , I am a new grower and I welcome all of your advice. Have a great day and a safe work week. Keep it real keep calm and keep on growing those happy plants . Cheers :green_heart::peace:

Just had a quick peek this morning , and look like we’ve got about 10% amber trichomes tonight I will get a note in depth look around the plant and the back side and lower canopy , take a few pics of each and make a decision from there , I will do a full update on this after I get the pics but I am very excited , she looks spectacular. If she is where I want it to be , I am going to let her sit in the dark for 2 days , then I will chop her down . And let it hang as a single unit with a dehumidifier to keep my humidity around 50% I’m aiming for a 10-14 day dry time , low and slow baby . :yahoo:

Hey everyone , I’m trying to find some contests for bud of the month ( pre harvest). Plant of the month , and or other types of contests , can someone help me find these , I seem to have a hard time navigating this site to find specific things to post on. But I do think I have a contender for such groups
Here ya go.

QUESTION!? when making compost tea , the microlife created , will it contain Protozoa and nematodes ?? Will it creat it’s own food web of micro organisms or do I need to buy specific micro organisms to battle the fungus nats , I’m just trying to figure out how much and what kind of micro life is created in compost teas. @Emilya I know I tag you a lot but your my goddess of organics , you are the most well rounded organic grower I’ve ever “met” via online. But your my go to person I hope that’s okay.
The microlife that you create in your tea can contain a vast array of different microbes, including those you mentioned. The ones that you get depend completely on the inputs you use to get the tea going... certain microbes are going to be on the surface of kelp for example, another sort on oatmeal or barley or bat guano... and it is your job by providing the proper inputs to cause to thrive those families of microbes that exist in and feed upon the inputs and food you provide in the tea. If you want to create a tea full of microbes best able to process potassium, then it is imperative to provide that potassium food in your tea, so that those microbes will thrive, while others will not. In that soup it is survival of the fittest and best fed... and you are in control of that.
I have a big fungus gnat problem in my basement if I do not guard against it. In my garden I always put a top layer of pine bark mulch. Gnats are supremely stupid little critters, and this layer of scented wood bark is enough that they can not figure out how to burrow into the soil below and it stops their lifecycle cold. Also, being protected from the light, the soil surface under that mulch will be teaming with very powerful microbes that will also discourage any egg laying pests. Gnats will gather anywhere that I leave something out down in that basement, but they do not gather in my tent.
As far as tagging me goes, I don't mind a bit. I am glad to help when and where I can.

Hey everyone I know I kinda just dropped this life got busy for me , but I just want to thank all of you guys for helping me along the way . I only ended up getting 29.75 g off this moby , I know they are capably of much more so I just need to run a few more runs to see if I can hit my qp auto mark , thanks everyone

FCCE8FF2-499A-4F72-8A1A-EE83E58649D5.jpeg

E9DA8B67-DE1B-4C25-A85A-85F0040443E7.jpeg

8510ABDB-E2B6-43FD-970F-CD923DA88747.jpeg

@Teddy Edwards could you please put this journal in complete aswell thank you

Hey everyone , I’m trying to find some contests for bud of the month ( pre harvest). Plant of the month , and or other types of contests , can someone help me find these , I seem to have a hard time navigating this site to find specific things to post on. But I do think I have a contender for such groups

Here buddy

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

HELP ME PLEASE !!

So this morning I woke up and checked my grow space to find my northern lights plants lower leaves drying out curling up and in like a hand closing . Here are pics
What happened - I forgot to write down my last watering so when I checked the other day I seen it was 5 days since last water . So in a panic before checking the pot I watered it , only to realize I had done it the day before . So I expected some issues to happen because of it but nothing like this please help

I pulled all the old leaves off that were firing ( should have left them on now the new growth will be

Cannot answer your question...just wondering if the brownish discoloration on the larger leaf in the first photo is necrosis setting in? Others will have to address what the causes are....looks like it is spreading. Are some of the blades touching the grow medium?

Back
Top Bottom