Death of the spider mites

MedFarmer

In the following video you will see two spider mites in the right hand upper quarter that are alive and well until sprayed with a few drops of rosemary oil mixed in water with a couple of squirts of handwash.

Recipe: about 20 drops of pure rosemary oil, 2 squirts of handwash and then about 3/4 litre(about 1.5 US pints) of tapwater. Shake the hell out of the mixture and then just spray onto leaves. It's that simple as you will see in the video. Enjoy.

Re: Death of the spider mites.

Oooooooooooo... those buggers. The stuff of nightmares. Awesome organic method there!!

One problem though is if you physically can't get to the leaves such as in a packed SOG method. Also.. what happens when you're at day 45 and all of a sudden see them all over your flowers? Spraying the flowers can get tricky.. and start killing pistils and inhibit growth.

We hate to even mention a chemical solution around organics and some will swear against them as the active ingredient isn't the healthiest.. but in desperate situations where survival is key and you're willing to go out on a semi-toxic limb, the best thing that we've found are the famous No Pest Strips. The key is how you use them.

Depending on the size of the room and severity of infestation, anywhere from 1-10 can be used. Hang up high on the ceiling and off of the lights. About 15-30 minutes after lights out, the room needs to be sealed from all intake and exhaust ventilation. The use of spring loaded baffle vents work great for this. Leave any oscillating fans on. Keep sealed nightly until lights on in the morning. The trick is on how tight you seal your room. The more airtight, the better.

Within a few days, you should be 100% free. It's the only no-touch, safe flower method that we've ever found.

Since the fans in the day will suck out the gas and not really do much good except expose you, you can put all the strips in a tight ziploc bag until the night time.

Again.. yes.. this is a chemical solution to a problem.. but sometimes with a high dollar, desperate situation.. times call for the big guns..

:Namaste:

Everybody has their own views I agree. It was just to put an option out there for people without resorting to high priced chemicals. I agree about spraying around flowers could be a problem but common sense should prevail. I have just sprayed my outdoor plants where there is a light breeze to help drying out around the flowers. A good point for all reading this who do not know better is to make sure you have good ventilation if you are spraying close to flowers to prevent mould.

I have done a lot of reading on rosemary as a cure and as a preventative. It would seem that even the slightest hint of rosemary near your plants will send the mites elsewhere. It could be possible that spraying around the bottom of the plants where there are no buds could be a good cheap preventative.

I'm sure others will have stories of what's best for them and could be for others.

I do also agree them pest strips are a good part-solution.

There are many herbs and veggies you can use organic to kill mites. I've created several homemade sprays and have used them up to a week before flowers finish. Just wash your flowers so ur not smoking rosemary as anyone that's used it knows how strong Smelling the extract is.

Pest strip are great but not ideal for the home grower. If the grow is away from ur living space I would recommend those. Great video love watching those guys die as evil as that is.

I&I

Edit : 20 drops sounds like it would be real strong. The soap is definetly the best effect it suffocate the mites, I use a organic Dr bronners peppermint soap with my sprays. Again u don't want to smoke soap so rinse well

Oh, absolutely. If chemicals can be avoided at any cost, that's a no-brainer. For smaller med grows or ones where there's good accessibility to plants.. then by all means!

Yes, a fine mist with a good breeze may do wonderfully.. and I'm very curious about the repellent concept. That would be great to test out! If you could somehow prevent before you have to kill.. that would obviously be the best solution.. :Namaste:

Everybody has their own views I agree. It was just to put an option out there for people without resorting to high priced chemicals. I agree about spraying around flowers could be a problem but common sense should prevail. I have just sprayed my outdoor plants where there is a light breeze to help drying out around the flowers. A good point for all reading this who do not know better is to make sure you have good ventilation if you are spraying close to flowers to prevent mould.

I have done a lot of reading on rosemary as a cure and as a preventative. It would seem that even the slightest hint of rosemary near your plants will send the mites elsewhere. It could be possible that spraying around the bottom of the plants where there are no buds could be a good cheap preventative.

I'm sure others will have stories of what's best for them and could be for others.

If you have a big grow and want to use the spray like I do then get a hand pump mister. I could never go back. It holds 2 liters and it locks the trigger. Just pump it and point

I&I

I use predatory mites for infestations & USDA food grade diatomaceous earth as a preventive
blown in with a duster

no pest strips are toxic imo

Oh, absolutely. If chemicals can be avoided at any cost, that's a no-brainer. For smaller med grows or ones where there's good accessibility to plants.. then by all means!

Yes, a fine mist with a good breeze may do wonderfully.. and I'm very curious about the repellent concept. That would be great to test out! If you could somehow prevent before you have to kill.. that would obviously be the best solution.. :Namaste:

I have read that some growers grow a rosemary plant in the grow room to keep the mites away. It sounds a great idea. Apparently, garlic and chives are effective repellents too.

In my greenhouse next year I will plant some of each to see for myself. Watch this space for a long time for an update lol.

If you have a big grow and want to use the spray like I do then get a hand pump mister. I could never go back. It holds 2 liters and it locks the trigger. Just pump it and point

I&I

My pump sprayer has just given up so I had to use a hand sprayer. Man does it cause your hand to ache. I got the plants done but I'm going to be out on monday getting a new one.

I got a one gallon all chemical pump wander for about 15.oo us @ amazuuny
the all chemical has better seals that last forever
pm me I'll send link

I had a a mite infestation 2 summers ago indoors.....I used SNS-217 Rosemary oil/spray.

Fact: It killed all the newly hatched babies in 1-2 days of contact...

Fact: The adults were not so easy to kill and if they lived past the first application(and it seamed many did) they were immune to it. After using it for 3 weeks the webs came full force and the entire grow was scraped. I no longer use this product.

I think rosemary oil is a decent product that kills babies/hatchlings but in my experience it is not a stand alone effective product to kill rid your grow on spider mites and or the eggs.

I tried drying a few select buds for a taste test as well.....it tasted like rosemary and pinesol(disinfectant)

I had a a mite infestation 2 summers ago indoors.....I used SNS-217 Rosemary oil/spray.

Fact: It killed all the newly hatched babies in 1-2 days of contact...

Fact: The adults were not so easy to kill and if they lived past the first application(and it seamed many did) they were immune to it. After using it for 3 weeks the webs came full force and the entire grow was scraped. I no longer use this product.

I think rosemary oil is a decent product that kills babies/hatchlings but in my experience it is not a stand alone effective product to kill rid your grow on spider mites and or the eggs.

I will look tomorrow to see the effects of my work. It's not light enough now. I will post results tomorrow.

not trying to poach the thread at all, but in my signature i have a thread with the organic spray that i make (handfull of different sprays for a 3 day treatment)

and i have pictures of my elderberry that was infested with mites and i cured it. i will take a picture and update that thread with how the elderberry is doing today. its about 2 feet tall.

I&i

Back
Top Bottom