Death Penalty For Marijuana In Malaysia

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A 25-year-old man wept openly in Malaysian High Court court this morning when the judge sentenced him to death for marijuana.

Shahrul Izani Suparman was convicted of possessing 622 grams of cannabis with intent to deliver, reports Azreen Hani of The Malay Mail. Shahrul was 19 years old when he was arrested on Sept. 25, 2003.

According to police, Shahrul tried to get away from them on foot when he was ordered to stop while riding his motorcycle in Klang, Malaysia. Authorities said Shahrul had made a U-turn, and was riding without his lights on.

The marijuana, packed in two separate newspaper wrappings, was found in the motorcycle’s basket. Shahrul was charged under Malaysia’s Dangerous Drugs Act of 1952, which upon conviction carries a death sentence by hanging.

Hemp kills in Malaysia — because that’s what they use to hang you with. ​Malaysia, along with Vietnam, Indonesia, China and several other Asian countries, has some of the harshest drug laws on Earth. Mere possession of more than 200 grams carries a mandatory death penalty by hanging in Malaysia.

Shahrul had spent the last six years in prison while battling the charges.

His lawyer, Suzanawati Ismail, asked the court to spare his client’s life, as this was the accused’s first offense. The lawyer said his client was only trying to escape the police since he knew he was guilty for riding the motorcycle without the lights on, and was unaware of the cannabis he was carrying, as he "was only helping his friend deliver" it.

Shahrul admitted his friend paid him for making deliveries on two separate occasions, but denied any knowledge of the contents of the packages he was asked to carry.

The judge, Datuk Mohd Zaki Yasin, was unmoved and sentenced Shahrul to death. The defendant has until Jan. 11 to appeal the court’s decision, according to The Malay Mail.

News Hawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: ENCOD
Copyright: 2008 European Coalition for Just and Effective Drug Policies
Website: DEATH PENALTY FOR MARIJUANA IN MALAYSIA - Encod.org

Well this should be an eye opening experience for us. Americans have so many privileges we take for granted. My best wishes to the family.

Very sad. I wonder if his appeal was successful? What a world tho. Sad.

I say every cannabis user send in some money to build a vessel to get off this planet and find another planet with cannabis :grinjoint:

I can dream can't I?
:roorrip:

agreed token, ill start packing.:thumb:

Wait, guys, this planet has nurtured the cannabis seed. We just need to scrape the garbage off the green herbal goodness that is here.
And by garbage, i mean both the pollution of our earth and the pollution that is in our ideal system of the people's democratically run government and governments the world over.
Therefore, decriminalizing cannabis has to be a passion with us. It would save so many lives, end so much corruption, so much violence.

Donating to NORML has to be a way to go, i'm sure there are others, and i'll welcome suggestions in this thread!

Change.org also has a 2nd round voting session titled "Legalize the Medicinal and Recreation Use of Marijuana" and is currently #4 in the Top 10 ideas to change America.

At the end of March 12th, they will send in the top 10 ideas to member's of the Obama Administration. I highly encourage everyone in favor of this to go and vote. Obama ignored the 1st round of this issue on live t.v. and laughed it off. Let's show him and other political officials that we do mean business and this is not a joke.

Legalize the Medicinal and Recreational Use of Marijuana | Ideas for Change in America | Change.org

Change.org also has a 2nd round voting session titled "Legalize the Medicinal and Recreation Use of Marijuana" and is currently #4 in the Top 10 ideas to change America.

At the end of March 12th, they will send in the top 10 ideas to member's of the Obama Administration. I highly encourage everyone in favor of this to go and vote. Obama ignored the 1st round of this issue on live t.v. and laughed it off. Let's show him and other political officials that we do mean business and this is not a joke.

Legalize the Medicinal and Recreational Use of Marijuana | Ideas for Change in America | Change.org

I think this is a GREAT idea. The Prez set up this feed-back process, let's use the hell out of it! ..er, Use it with great enthusiasm!

i just voted.

if malaysia hangs you for cannibas what would they do to someone if they were caught with opium. let me see, maybe burn you alive.

The following countries still legislate or contemplate the death sentence for cannabis offences:

MALAYSIA: Penang: Ex-painter Sent to Gallows: Malaysia Star, 29 October 2007

MALAYSIA: Indonesian Labourer to Hang for Trafficking: Malaysia Star, 10 October 2007

MALAYSIA: Trader to Hang over 61kg Ganja: Malaysia Star, 1 May 2007

SINGAPORE: Ghanaian, Zambian face death penalty in Singapore: Mail and Guardian On-line, South Africa, 11 April 2007

MALAYSIA: Thai to Hang after Appeal Rejected: Malaysia Star, 27 February 2007

MALAYSIA: Electrician's Death Sentence Upheld: Malaysia Star, 17October 2006

BRUNEI: Two Facing Death In Drug Trafficking Case: Brunei Direct, 28 May 2006

INDONESIA: Australian May Face Firing Squad: Courier Mail, 22 May 2006

MALAYSIA: Death sentence stays for Indon: Malaysia Star, 31 March 2006

US: Marijuana Smuggler Killed by Gunfire Was Mexican, 23: Arizona Daily Star, 14 March 2006

MALAYSIA: Unemployed To Hang For Trafficking In Cannabis: Central Region News, 15 February 2006

BORNEO: Malaysian Sentenced to Death for Possessing Cannabis: 27 October 2004

MALAYSIA: Indonesian Gets Death For Dadah Trafficking: New Straits Times , 23 September 2005

MALAYSIA: Carpenter Gets Death For Drug Offence Cannabis: The Star, 26 July 2005

CHINA – for more than 5 kilo

DUBAI: Dealers Get Death for Trafficking Cannabis: Gulf News, 18 November 2003

FIJI: A Fijian high chief has said his people should be shot dead if found planting marijuana: CNN (US Web), 19 August 2001

INDONESIA: 'Help Me' Pleads Student At Risk Of Death Sentence: New Zealand Herald, 13 October 2004

PHILIPPINES: Death for Marijuana: Philippine Star, 29 June 2002

SINGAPORE – for over 500 grms of cannabis or 200 grms of resin - Noose Today For Drug Man: May 12, 2005

SAUDI ARABIA: Death sentence no longer mandatory for drug smugglers: Saudi Gazette, 27 September 2005

SAUDI ARABIA: Two Thais And One Pakistani Executed In Saudi Arabia: Daily Times (Pakistan), January 11, 2005

SAUDI ARABIA: Pakistani And Iraqi Beheaded In Saudi Arabia: Daily Times (Pakistan), January 2, 2005

SAUDI ARABIA: :Executes Iraqi For Drug Smuggling: New Zealand Herald, 14 April 2003

THAILAND: Thai Drive Against Drug Dealers Turns Into A Bloodbath: Daily Telegraph, 23 February 2003

Back
Top Bottom