Decarb Question

@smoke99, I should have mentioned I double bag the decarbed bud to completely contain and shake vigorously over a 2-4 hour period. 15 minutes is a minimum. I apologise for not being concise.

DSCN1738 (2).JPG
Meh I'm gonna run it through my French press to finish
Thats how I've been making it anyway
Does a great job

Well 8.8 grams went into an unmeasured quantity of 151 ever learned that has yielded just shy of 450ml of what I will call simple extract at this point.
Which is now in a pot of water on low heat reducing the alcohol and thickening up the extract.
I expect to reduce by at least 100ml and wish there was a simple home test for octane other than taste and wait
Good thing I have NO PLACE to be today.

I have 1.6 ounces of hand crushed/destemmed bud that I was to decarb.

I plan on doing this in a mason jar. Should I split this up into two jars? Does the air space benefit the bud? Or keep it in 1 one quart jar? I also have pint-sized mason jars.

I've never decarbed in a jar personally I bust out the baking sheet pan and parchment paper so I don't pick up any weirdness off the metal and loss isn't an issue as it slides rite off.
What you see in the picture with the Mason jar is me reducing the content by heating it in a pot of boiling water. This keeps it from being burned dry and ruining the flavors

It very well may do so. I cannot speak to that as I've never tried that. As a rule I avoid overly complicated processes as much as I can, and adding a fragile glass jar, no matter how much they promise me it's safe, just seems like asking for busted glass jars in my oven.
As always, YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY
Just because I do it differently doesn't make it the only way. Lots of way smarter people than me here that make mind blowing stuff and it seems easy to them. Me, eh not so much I have a wicked case of ADHD and involved complicated processes often lose me by step 3 or 4 so I keep it simple

I'm not worried about safety. Masons jars are sturdy, designed for keeping their integrity with a vacuum.

And, from what I'm told, you put the lid on loosely for the decarbing. Prevents and pressure build up.

Ok
Well your original question was one regarding space or breaking it up into 2 jars.
I would imagine a more even spacing would yield better results as tightly packed may lead to burnt edges and not completely decarbed middles I would break them into smaller batches and 1.6 Oz is a lot to begin a new or unknown process with.
If it were my weed I'd keep it under 14grams at at time just so I don't ruin all of it if something goes wrong.

"If it were my weed I'd keep it under 14grams at at time just so I don't ruin all of it if something goes wrong."

I read this as doing each mason jar separately. I was thinking of doing it all at the same time.

I'm no expert but I have done it this way. I use the larger jars (3) I only fill them about 1/4 jar or whatever is 1" on their side. I lay the three on their side in my toaster oven. I do 225 F for about 75 - 90 minutes - giving it a little shake every 15 minutes or so. LID LOOSE!!
Mostly I decarb in coconut oil now.

We've done a lot of canning with mason jars. Boiling water bath is 212F/100C. At this temp mason jars hold up even tho we've had one or two break. I have no idea if decarbing at 250F for 27 min in an oven will cause the jars to break. I use Pyrex bowls covered with foil +Pyrex will withstand higher temps if u do the hi heat short time decarb.

A friend says 245 for 90 minutes. Shake every fifteen.

Life is funny.

I got my candy molds today. I know what my schedule looks like for the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom