Decarboxilation

Liam Hughes

I have never been a fan of decarboxilating my cannabis in the oven. A conventional oven turns off and on constantly, causing fluctuations in temperature. I figured there had to be a better solution, so a couple of years ago, I searched throughout the internet until I found one angel that had the perfect solution - a sous vide oven.
I now have a perfectly repeatable solution to my issue. It was always a guess as to the quality of my decarboxilation using a conventional oven, but with a sous vide oven you can control the temperature much better.
I start by using 90 grams of quality flower and vacuum seal it. I turn the sous vide bath up to my maximum of 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the water gets up to temperature, I submerge the bag for 1 hour and 15 minutes. The bag will fill with carbon dioxide, which will make it float, so you must weigh the bag down. I have a self-contained unit, so I just need to put it in the layered cage provided, then put heavy pots on the lid.
The result is a perfect decarboxilation every time. Now that the cannabis has been chemically changed from THCA to THC (or CBDA to CBD), it is ready to make butter or tincture.
Pictured is a bag of shake that has been decarboxilated already. I will make butter using pure virgin coconut oil and vegetable lecithin as a binding agent.
15824024098033079193159378607656.jpg

I run it at high pressure for 2hrs

It decarbs durring the process. I'll grind up the bud 1st

I've been now running it now 2x thru, testing if it gets stronger

How high does the temp reach in the insta pot? Pretty interesting
I run it at high pressure for 2hrs

It decarbs durring the process. I'll grind up the bud 1st

I've been now running it now 2x thru, testing if it gets stronger

Sweet Sue has a whole thread on it.

sous vide bath is also good for using your goodies to make gummies. If you use the good gelatin that comes in sheets, you need to bloom it before using it. The sous vide makes bloomed gelatin mix into the sugar/infusion base much more fluidly, avoiding bubbles. The other way is to soak the gelatin in cold water. But then you are intorducing water into your sugar base, as the bloomed gelatin will hold on to some amount of moiture. Pop them in a ziplock and put in sous vide, and you get them to melt nicely, and stay at the perfect temp until you are ready to use.

I'm too cheap to get an actual sous vide. I just use the heat bath I use for my distillation rig. Does the same thing.

Do I have to decarboxylate before I begin the removal of oils or can it be completed at the end after I have removed all the cannabis oils?

I have never been a fan of decarboxilating my cannabis in the oven. A conventional oven turns off and on constantly, causing fluctuations in temperature. I figured there had to be a better solution, so a couple of years ago, I searched throughout the internet until I found one angel that had the perfect solution - a sous vide oven.
I share your concerns over decarboxylating, for that reason I bought an Ardent unit because it's heating and timing is said to be very accurate. The sous vide sounds good too. But the big point to me, we all talk about decarbing, and we all have a decarbing process, but unless it is accurately lab tested then how on earth do we know whether we have obtained, say, a 98% decarb or perhaps only a 70% decarb. I find it a bit disturbing the thought that whatever percentage fails to get decarbed is like throwing away that percentage of buds. I know years ago my first attempt was with an ounce of really good buds that I failed to heat hot enough and long enough and it was an absolute failure, I got nothing from it and didn't realize I could have most likely redeemed it by reheating for hotter and longer.

Mine is the first unit they put out. I think it is great, there was talk that there were some early failures but touch wood, mine works as advertised. I haven't used it a lot, and not recently but I intend to do so soon. What I liked with them was their apparent lab evidence that their units achieved virtually full decarb, whereas some 'home methods' came out up to 30% less.

Mine is the first unit they put out. I think it is great, there was talk that there were some early failures but touch wood, mine works as advertised. I haven't used it a lot, and not recently but I intend to do so soon. What I liked with them was their apparent lab evidence that their units achieved virtually full decarb, whereas some 'home methods' came out up to 30% less.
Did you get the FX or the Nova? Probably the Nova as the fx came out at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom