Decarboxylate RSO In Pressure Cooker

Well hello @Fat Pow Chow Fun, and :welcome: to the forum. :hug: We do our best to listen without judgement and answer with love. It helps diffuse a lot of argument. Lol!

You got the process down to where there isn't any extraneous equipment, and that's always a good thing in my book. I use the small bowl and foil because I make batches of one cup or less most of the time. If I were making a larger batch I'd be giving this method of yours a go, if only to try. I have a 3-qt model. Don't know if it sautés, but I do know I wanted to get a glass lid and an egg insert for cooking.

I also use the 110°C for 110 minutes because it works more effectively than other times and temps I've played with. The Dutch came up with that easy to remember formula, and I've checked the results using a hot oil bath. It really does an almost complete decarb. "110 for 110." Doesn't get much easier than that to remember or to pass along, and in the IP, on high pressure I have decarbed and infused oil within 3 hours, from start up to cool enough to open

Decarb is a function of time and temperature. I actually don't much worry about it. Any undecarbed cannabinoids make for a more diversified medicine. Lol! I'd think that 12 hours on 104° finishes off your decarb just fine. The only way to know how effective would be to test it somehow.

As to your final question, I don't think any of us knows, or at least I don't have the foggiest idea. My gut feeling is somewhere in the 2-4 hour range, but that might be with agitation, something you could certainly introduce. To determine precise times you'd need access to a lab, and test at timed intervals. Man! Every one of us dreams of this possibility. :green_heart:

Well hello @Fat Pow Chow Fun, and :welcome: to the forum. :hug: We do our best to listen without judgement and answer with love. It helps diffuse a lot of argument. Lol!

...I also use the 110°C for 110 minutes because it works more effectively than other times and temps I've played with. The Dutch came up with that easy to remember formula, and I've checked the results using a hot oil bath. It really does an almost complete decarb. "110 for 110." Doesn't get much easier than that to remember or to pass along, and in the IP, on high pressure I have decarbed and infused oil within 3 hours, from start up to cool enough to open...

As to your final question, I don't think any of us knows, or at least I don't have the foggiest idea. My gut feeling is somewhere in the 2-4 hour range, but that might be with agitation, something you could certainly introduce. To determine precise times you'd need access to a lab, and test at timed intervals. Man! Every one of us dreams of this possibility. :green_heart:

Hi SweetSue!

I'm chuckling...finally getting to say "Hi!".

Thank you for corroborating your formula. But you just wrote "I also use the 110°C for 110 minutes".

Forgive me, but for the sake of clarification, 110 minutes is 1 hour 50 minutes. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean 1:10 - which is 1 hour 10 minutes...70 minutes. I think the latter.

Hmmm...no response.

Maybe if I ask it a different way...

If I am decarbing at 230F, would I bake for A) 1 hour and 10 minutes? Or would I bake for B) 1 hour and 50 minutes?

Thanks in advance,

Very interesting topic. I have used the Instant Pot for both decarb'ing and infusion. I have only done it once to produce some Canna infused Olive Oil. I did use the pressure feature with a small one pint Mason Jar and Lid. My results using a 1cup of oil plus a three tablespoons to 9grams of ABV (already been vaped) worked extremely well in brownies. I only used a 1/2cup with a box brownie mix. I really got a nice long high out of them.

However, I'm open to change. I don't think I can get a glass lid for my smaller Instant Pot. I can leave the vent open and it won't build pressure. Otherwise I plan on trying the process that @Fat Pow Chow Fun has described. Then again, I don't really need to do a lot with the ABV with regards to decarb.

Thanks for the share on this process.

Very interesting topic. I have used the Instant Pot for both decarb'ing and infusion. I have only done it once to produce some Canna infused Olive Oil. I did use the pressure feature with a small one pint Mason Jar and Lid. My results using a 1cup of oil plus a three tablespoons to 9grams of ABV (already been vaped) worked extremely well in brownies. I only used a 1/2cup with a box brownie mix. I really got a nice long high out of them.

However, I'm open to change. I don't think I can get a glass lid for my smaller Instant Pot. I can leave the vent open and it won't build pressure. Otherwise I plan on trying the process that @Fat Pow Chow Fun has described. Then again, I don't really need to do a lot with the ABV with regards to decarb.

Thanks for the share on this process.

Hello BTzGrow!

My understanding is that the glass lid is currently available only for the 6Q pots. I got one because I wanted to be able to see thru during the process, and the features of the IP10 that I would be using ("saute" at a constant 230 - 240F, and "warm" at constant 104F) don't require pressure.

This worthy thread was started under the premise that using a ventilated jar within a sealed pressure cooker would best negate the release of the desired attributes we are hoping to retain. As a chef, I think that's a sound principle, but I wanted to eliminate a step. I don't think there will be a profound difference between terpenes et al. being released from a mason jar within a pressure cooker, and the terpenes being released thru the pinhole in the glass top. Either way, the loss of terpenes outside of either vessel aren't coming back home to roost after a cooling/settling period.

I have used the saute function for two decarbs. Doing my 3rd this afternoon. (That's why I was hoping SweetSue, or Canyon, or another expert, would respond to my query for clarification of 110 for 110. Has nobody encountered the possibility that they have been misreading the time? LoL! I'm being a bit impatient, and trying to goad someone into an answer. Bo)

My 2 batches.
1) 6 oz dry trim - 240F/30 mins. Let cool/settle for 20 mins. Then added 16oz sunflower oil, and 16oz EVOO. (I am using as a cooking oil. The sunflower raises the smoke point of the EVOO.) Stirred. Steeped on warm, customized at 104F (lowest setting)/16 hours. (I consider trimmed plant material combined to be about 1/6th the strength of Flower. 6:1) Very dark and fragrant.
2) 32 g dry Sugar Shake - 230F/60 mins. (My "shake" is sugar leaf fine trim and anything less than compact popcorn bud. Hence Sugar Shake. I consider SS to be half as potent as flower.) Then added 8 oz sunflower oil and 8 oz EVOO. Steeped at 104F for 8 hours. Very light, clear, and basically no fragrance.
3) Going inbetween - I want the fragrance of the 16 hour trim, but the clarity of the 8 hour Sugar Shake.

Back
Top Bottom